HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Brewdude wins for posting the pic of the hot yoga lady!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Fatman wrote:
Brewdude wins for posting the pic of the hot yoga lady!
+1
Now I think this thread IS ending well!!!lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Brewdude wrote:
RonA3597 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
This thread will not end well...........
Congrats Brewdude, you called this one early!  cheers
Maybe, but I claim no victory here.

My hope is that all contentious parties can go chill out, have a bowl of their favorite pipe weed in whatever pipe they choose, and continue in the spirit of BoB.

Ooommmm...

Cheers,

RR
Hmmmmm See. Have faith in humanity. I new this thread couldn't be all bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Y'know. this summer I bought a "hardly smoked" refurbed Parker from a well-known purveyor of such items When it arrived it looked nearly new and very nicely done in every particular. It's the Jockey Club (lowest rung on the Parker ladder) model #97 blast, and was described as a "slightly bent Apple, but looks like a Prince to me. I've had chances to visually compare with Dunhill blasts, and I can't see the point of craftsmanly superiority for the Dunhill. Plus it smokes dry, delivers plenty of taste, has a nice, open draw with no whistles, everything is centered and lined up properly. Maybe I'm missing some Dunny mojo, but I paid $60 for the Parker. Maybe I'll add a DIY little white dot:-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 am

Thomas:
I think we would all love to see pictures of your problem Dunhill. If you are unable to host online yourself, feel free to email me the pipe pictures and I can put them in my Photobucket album and display here for you. Just PM me if you need an assist.
As long as you are willing to have the pipe evaluated, it would be a good exercise to give the pipe an honest critique, as much as can be done online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

Been following this thread the past few days and it reminds me of a friends experience with his new Lexus this past year. On the experience and advice of some mutual friends who are owners of this brand of car, he bought a new one in 2011. Beautiful car,drove and rode nice but it began to have some drive train problems a few mo's after he bought it. Dealer fixed things but problems kept happening as more time went on. Bottom line, the dealer took the car back and gave him a new 2012 model and he's had NO problems since. EVERY manufacturer of ANY type of goods has LEMONS that make it past QC. To judge the WHOLE product line on one experience with one "bad apple" is childish and somewhat to be expected in todays consumer driven world. JMHO Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff

Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Mr. Monbla,
Hopefully, you hope will be correct.  However, there is a history of makers changing hands and going down.  There are so many examples of:

• Pre-transition
  • Transition
  • Today

For those who love the Dunhill's, I hope that which they cherish proves out for them.  If not, they can at least feel better with the way their pre-transition collection will likely increase in value and respect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:25 pm

KevinM wrote:
Y'know. this summer I bought a "hardly smoked" refurbed Parker from a well-known purveyor of such items When it arrived it looked nearly new and very nicely done in every particular. It's the Jockey Club (lowest rung on the Parker ladder) model #97 blast, and was described as a "slightly bent Apple, but looks like a Prince to me.  I've had chances to visually compare with Dunhill blasts, and I can't see the point of craftsmanly superiority for the Dunhill. Plus it smokes dry, delivers plenty of taste, has a nice, open draw with no whistles, everything is centered and lined up properly. Maybe I'm missing some Dunny mojo, but I paid $60 for the Parker. Maybe I'll add a DIY little white dot:-)
I have two top end Parkers (Super Bruyere 24/F and a Super Bruyere 73, both with the 4 in a circle). Hard for me to believe that any pipe can smoke BETTER than anyone of them. Yes, I believe there will be pipes, just as good but.....not better. I just can't imagine what a pipe will be like if it does indeed smoke better than the two Parkers (no, it can't be true, never!!!!) I can't believe it. Embarassed Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

It's interesting how the original poster of this thread has not responded to anyone here whose posted in response. Seems this is the way with a brand of pipe haters when they post , stir the pot with lot's of unsubstantiated "facts" then go away and not engage in any form of constructive discussion with others. Almost Troll like to my mind  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff

Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:12 pm

monbla256 wrote:
It's interesting how the original poster of this thread has not responded to anyone here whose posted in response. Seems this is the way with a brand of pipe haters when they post , stir the pot with lot's of unsubstantiated "facts" then go away and not engage in any form of constructive discussion with others. Almost Troll like to my mind  Twisted Evil
I gathered he is anything but a troll.  I'm think he didn't care for the tenor of the conversation and didn't figure continuing a benefit.

As to "unsubstantiated", pipe smoking isn't scientific or consistent in almost any respect. How someone would think to make it personal to boot boggles my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I believe "unsubstantiated" is valid as the gentleman chose not to share any photos of the alleged construction issues, despite several kind offers to help him navigate the BoB photo-posting byways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Bluefisher wrote:
I believe "unsubstantiated" is valid as the gentleman chose not to share any photos of the alleged construction issues, despite several kind offers to help him navigate the BoB photo-posting byways.
Correct, posting pictures isn't exactly brain surgery.  

As always....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 pm

I have a 2010 whangee that is stunning. Fit and finish are great and it smokes out of this world. Has a cumberland stem and is one of the thinnest I have. No complaints here, and it's my one and probably will be my only dunhill and I can say I am thoroughly satisfied.

I'm definitely curious about seeing a dunhill with fills though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I've seen newer dunhills, a few years ago, that were pretty shoddy in construction. Slot not lined up at the end of the stem, poor stem/shank transitions.... just quickly-made looking. So it does happen once in awhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3