HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:14 am

I love flaked tobacco Laughing 

I've tried quite a number of my pipes for smoking flakes and of lately I favour 3 of my pots for this purpose. I fold and plug and the wide bowl of a pot makes it easy to load.  I smoke Petersen's Irish Flake and Borkum Riff Admiral's Flake most of the time (we do not have much flaked tobaccos available locally).  The IF is my favourite because I can smoke one bowl for the whole of a day.  It's slow burning and therefore I can go back to a "stop" numerous times.  It tastes good till the very bottom is reached.  Using a pot makes this so much better because the pots take two strips of baccy with ease.

I would like to hear from the brothers which shapes you favour for smoking flakes.

Last edited by SpeedyPete on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 am

Until I joined BOB I had always heard that flakes smoke best out of a bowl that is about twice a deep as it was wide and no wider than about 3/4". I started that way and I like it. Pots or wider squat bowls were for ribbon cut.

I thought I knew how things were supposed to be. Then I got on here and monbla keeps going on about how it is actually wider bowls that work better. It made me think maybe I had it wrong.

Then June of 2012 I happened to be eying the exact same pipe as GL Pease at the GKCPC show. (A beautiful sandblasted Benni Jorgensen, if you're curious) I commented how I really liked he pipe. He said how much he liked it, then someone made the sort of "great minds think alike" kind of quote. Then I made the mistake of saying that it should be a great flake pipe because it had a taller narrower bowl. Greg looked at me seriously and said "Don't you believe all this bull-sh*t about bowl geometry and different types of tobacco." I was shocked, but thought that if Greg didn't think bowl geometry was a big deal why should I? I mean the man is a blender for Pete's sake!

Since then I haven't really paid much attention to bowl geometry. I smoke flakes a lot, so a lot of my pipes are flake pipes, all shapes and sizes.

Confused enough? scratch 

I know...I didn't help at all! Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 am

I rub all my flakes out, so I usually don't concern myself with pipe shape that much. However I have experienced blends tasting different for better or for worse in different sized and shaped bowls. I cannot say that I have found any consistency in blend types and bowl types though. I do however have different pipes for different types of blends and these pipes only see the likes of those blends. I think this is more important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 am

I think the concept of a "flake pipe" is all wet; that the claims made by some about how this pipe likes this tobacco and that pipe that tobacco; that briar tastes like briar and a cob like corn; that it is possible to know where the briar came from, by taste; are all utter drivel and one of the highest forms of bullcr*p.

Last edited by alfredo_buscatti on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 am

I tend to fold flakes (or at least strips of flakes), and I do think it's a bit easier to get those lit when in a narrower chamber, but once lit I don't think it makes much difference
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:15 am

I have two pipes with tall somewhat more narrow chambers that are perfect for a single folded flake. If I am folding, I tend to use those. If I am rubbing them out or cubing, they all seem to work about the same. With a little bit of cramming, two "coins" of LBF can be wadded in my Kirsten bowl, and that works wonderfully. In fact once I am done with the Or L'yom in this Kinsale XL14, I think I am reaching for the Kirsten and some LBF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 am

What Greg and others have said about the BS about bowl shape/blends. I smoke a lot of Va Flakes and Ribbon cut and English/Balkan ribbon cuts and find that preparation determines more the flavor profile of each smoke more than the bowl shape. I smoke my Flakes in Pots because I have more Pots in my collection of pipes than other shapes. For my usual prep/smoking method ( fully rubbed-out, dried a bit) I like how they smoke in my Pots a bit more than in some other shapes. But I could not say that this is a "fact" just how it works FOR ME. YOU need to try various flakes in various shapes and find what YOU like  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:30 am

The fact that I don't (yet) have a pot means I can't try the flake/pot combo. Somehow this particular shape has never appealed much. I may need to diversify my holdings.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Any pipe should work with flake tobacco. You just need to see which prep method each pipe prefers. My BBB pot is strictly rubbed out only, fold and stuff or cube cut just don't work in her at all. My Albertson petiteo is fold and stuff for my GH ropes and cube cut for everything else. I've pipes with almost identical chambers that just smoke better with one method than another. If you like the shape and size then play around till you figure out what it likes.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm a true heretic when it comes to this business of certain pipes for certain 'baccys!!! Other than a few briars devoted exclusively to Burley, I dump whatever I want to smoke in whatever pipe I want to smoke!!!!! "Ghosting" doesn't exist for me. After 45+ years of smoking pipes and cigars, my taste buds just ain't that sensitive!!! Now good single malt or Rye whiskey is a whole 'nother subject!!!! My ol' taster is really sensitive to those!!!!cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 am

Shape is one thing, size is another. I find that the flakes I smoke, which I generally leave as coarse as possible, do better in smaller bowls rather than larger. But maybe I've just gone that way. I have heard and read that there are certain shapes that do better with Flake, but then the whole thing re how much it's rubbed comes in and muddies everything up, which throws logic in the face of passion.

The shape I've always heard associated with showing flakes to their best advantage is the Prince...usually smaller and slightly more wide thank tall. This has been borne out by my experience. All the Prince shapes I've owned have been superlative flake smokers. This of course flies in the face of my best Flake pipe...a Tinsky kit I had bored to 3/4" wide by 1 1/4" deep.

So that's all I've got on it. Sort of inconclusive. But then that's the same with so many things where there are about a thousand uncontrolled variables.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:30 am

One of my first pipes was a Charatan X-out Belvedere prince DC with a very slight bend. Probably has a shape #, but I don't know it off hand. Smoked Escudo perfectly every time. Maybe the only pipe I've dedicated to a single blend. It's easy to do when you have a couple pipes and a couple tobaccos. It was a psychological thing. It just seemed like what needed to be done.

I think all this stuff is poppycock. I smoke all tobaccos out of all pipes. Sure, I think some pipes smoke some blends better, but that's about the pipe, not shape. I've had other princes that excelled with English blends. I've had pots that smoked lawn clippings well. If the pipe speaks to me about a blend, I won't argue, but I don't go into any pipe or shape with an expectation...other than it better be an exceptional smoke no matter what I put into it. If not, bye-bye. That game is for someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 am

group 3 billiards, Lovats and Liverpools
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff

Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 am

Well, that pretty well nails it; pipe smokers are a very subjective lot.

Most of my pipes are .75x1.5" pipes. I fold and stuff them. A wider or bigger bowl I normally rub.

The only thing negative with a pot is that it takes a bit of different technique from the above. I find my sizing affect things more than the tobacco I stuff in whatever shape/pipe is up next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:37 am

I find, as some have stated already that it doesn't matter what size or shape the pipe for flakes. I have found that some of my pipes (and this might just be in my head) do smoke certain blends better. I have a pretty big Boswell. it does not matter the type of tobacco shape, but it does matter the blend. no matter what type of English blend I put in there it always turns into a bland smoking experience. but Virginia blends flake or not is always a great smoke. it doesn't make sense but that's how it is for me. I don't really have a lot of pipes so I don't have any real dedicated tobacco pipes. i have been smoking a lot of old dark fired. the fold and stuff method, right into my little sav. bent bull dog. every time its a wonderful smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I smoke flakes exclusively and enjoy smoking them in group 4-5 sized pipes. I have tried them in larger pipes and for my tastes they do not smoke as well. In terms of bowl diameter I prefer 3/4-13/16 and no larger. I have tired smoking them in 7/8 and larger and the experience was not as good. The flavors did not get as concentrated in larger width pipes for me.

In terms of shapes, I prefer Dublins, Apples, Billiards, Rhodesians, Lovats and Brandy's. I have smoked flakes in a 1" wide pot and did not care for the experience. I have smoked flakes in a cob and also did not care for the experience, everyone has their own tastes.

I also dedicate all of my pipes to either certain categories of blends i.e Vaper, Vabur or Va or I dedicate one pipe for one blend or one pipe for two blends. When I find a great combination I stick with it. Virginia flakes have all kinds of subtle flavors, so I enjoy getting the most out of them by not having a ghost to deal with in my pipes. If I smoke Dunhill flake in one of my vaper pipes, I can taste the perique which is something I do not want to taste when I am smoking that blend.

When I did smoke English blends I did smoke larger pipes because I felt the multiple components of those blends needed a bigger pipe for the blends to open up and really shine. The complexity of the different components did not work in my smaller pipes for me.

Everyone should experiment and find what works best for them, there are no set rules to how someone enjoys their pipes. I do what works for me. When people expound that someone is full of crap because of the way they enjoy their pipes and tobacco I just automatically deem their opinions not worthy of consideration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
The fact that I don't (yet) have a pot means I can't try the flake/pot combo. Somehow this particular shape has never appealed much. I may need to diversify my holdings.
Mission accomplished.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:08 pm

In the spirit of our dearly departed Yoda, Thomas James ( if you didn't know him, your loss, if you did, you remember him with great love):

Group 5 straight billiard, period. Not even 1 1/16th" bend acceptable king 

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Grp 4 to 6 Pots period . 1/8th bent acceptable.  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Fr_Tom wrote:
Mission accomplished.
You bought a pot?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 am

monbla256 wrote:
Grp 4 to 6 Pots period . 1/8th bent acceptable.  Twisted Evil
Heretic! Laughing 

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:18 pm

A more reasoned reply might be that we are nowhere near sophisticated enough to control all the variables. Even two Stanwells of the exact same type would be different. To say that difference is not more accountable for a result is certainly less plausible than similarity being so responsible.

The other two main variables are the tobacco and the smoker. A blend has its parts, and how those parts are represented in a so-called identical load for a pipe is again not entirely uniform. Sample A may only be 10% different than B, which although almost the same, might be conclusive to how the tobacco smokes for Smoker A.

We finish with consideration of the smoker. Things get very hazy here. When surgeons operate they find that although the interior body is the same, it also varies from person to person. In a similar way just how a palate tastes tobacco can in no way be measured or accountable in the strictest sense such that we could say any result is conclusively significant. We cannot exactly map the palate; and mood may be largely responsible for variation.

I deem a bowl to have sufficient taste if:

It tastes exactly as I would wish - 10%
It tastes more less exactly as I would wish - 60%
It is reaching the boundary of acceptability - 20%

The last 10% are for non-acceptable bowls.

In short my palate is variable, even with tobaccos that I have smoked for years; and I suspect yours is, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmason

Registration date : 2013-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Since I cube-cut all my flakes I find that a nice Bulldog or Rhodesian shape does great, they are thick walled and have fairly wide bowl.
~Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?   Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 pm

I like my narrow-chambered billiard for flakes, simply because I can get away with packing it vertically using only one or one and a half flakes and it's full. If I rub out the flake then anything goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Flakes; which shape of pipe do you prefer?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1