HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Isagar

Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:40 am

As the title suggest. What do you guys use to polish rusticated pipes?

I usually use Renaissance wax on my smooth pipes but they're way too hard for deep sandblast/rusticated finishes. Also a buffer is out of the option for me Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am

I use a buffer with a string wheel but, as you stated that's not an option so, I've had pretty good luck in the past using Paragon wax and then a stiff tooth brush like the ones for dentures to clean out the dried wax in the crevices. The trick is not to scrub, just run the brush over it back and fourth just using the tips of the bristles. Scrubbing will only bend them over and not get into the shallows good enough and may scratch the wood if your to rough. (never scratched one in this way but....)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:02 am

If use/handling does not polish mine enough, sometimes at the pipe shop they will offer to polish one for me just because it has passed a shop threshold or something. When I have a new stem fitted, they always come back with a spiffy finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Halcyon II wax.  Cotton sock turned inside out.  Big natural bristle brush (similar to a horse brush with longer bristles) in light circular motion. The brush is key.

http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:21 am

They're RUSTICATED!

Rustic = not buffed and shiny...just clean. I like the horsehair brush thing. Make those rustic suckers GLOW! A good shoebrush would be just the thing. Be careful of the wax though...you want that bowl to breathe if possible. Right?

<<Literary sidebar: in Theodore Dreiser's great novel, "Sister Carrie" (1900) there is a 'thing' made between the kind of shine two men's shoes exhibit. The cheap dandy sports mirror like patent leather, while the gentleman enjoys a soft gleam. Who does the girl end up with? Oh please! >>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:56 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I use a buffer with a string wheel but, as you stated that's not an option so, I've had pretty good luck in the past using Paragon wax and then a stiff tooth brush like the ones for dentures to clean out the dried wax in the crevices. The trick is not to scrub, just run the brush over it back and fourth just using the tips of the bristles. Scrubbing will only bend them over and not get into the shallows good enough and may scratch the wood if your to rough. (never scratched one in this way but....)
This is what I do too cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:11 am

I usually do them by hand, with some Halycon and an old toothbrush. Buff off by hand with a cotton cloth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lb

Registration date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:26 am

Try with real lacquer. Many pipe makers do it. It may be applied with a painting sponge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Or perhaps you could just dip it in shellac!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:00 pm

"Shiny" is a relative term. As other posters said, I use the horse hair brush that I use to polish my shoes. I don't use any additional wax other than what's already in the brush. I'm satisfied with the results, but calling it "shiny" seems like a stretch. Burnished, maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I used to use Denicare pipe polish but have found the Dunhill polishing cloth is way more economical. It is about 15 bucks and will last a year or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:49 pm

I use the #2 9" stiff bristle after the cotton sock.  It's basically a shoe/boot brush with extra long bristles.
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#natural-bristle-brushes/=p7l4ze

*it likes to re-direct you, so look under the scrub brushes section.

or go on eBay and search "horse hair brush" for hundreds of options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipe dreamer

Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: shiny rustication   Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Cheap way, buff with a stiff bristle brush, after use of museum quality wax. The shop way, proprietary.lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://guildpipesfl.com
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:31 pm

I also recommend Halcyon II for rusticated and sandblasted pipes for the best shine.

Rich at 4 Noggins sells it:

http://www.4noggins.com/search.aspx?find=halcyon+II

That said, I usually use a pipe cloth during thorough cleanings (every 15 smokes or so). Mine's a Dunhill Pipe Wipe, but the aforementioned Denicare brand also works well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:07 pm

I agree with Harris and Roth .... the Dunhill polishing cloth works very well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:50 pm

I don't like "shiny" pipes. Twisted Evil  I prefer the well worn aged sheen pipes get with years of use. My main "polishing" agent is nose oil with an occasional buffing with the remnant of a wax impregnated flannel shirt back I've used since the '70s. Every so often down the years, I'd use a cloth soft wheel at the B$M here in town had back when it was open in the early '80s. No wax other than what was already on the wheel as residue from other buffings. Soft sheen is where it's at Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??   Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm with you, Monbla.

A polishing cloth works just fine.

But ther are other puffers out there who want shiny, hence the advice in this thread Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1