HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New toy project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: New toy project   Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I've dabbled with cars all through high school and such, but I recently got a hold of a new project car(first one in about 3 years). I haven't been able to start on it yet, as I've no place for it here at my apartment(being in college and in an apartment limits your options), but here she is.

She be a 1962 Mercury Monterey custom, with the original Ford-Edsel 352 block in it. The body will need some work, and I'll have to replace the trunk pan and the interior, but the glass and drivetrain are in nearly flawless shape.

Anyone have anything to pitch in about the car? I know for the most part what I'm getting in to, but I thought I'd see if anyone had anything to add about it! pirat 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 am

You already know the work involved, but the chrome looks great, the taillights appear pristine and though this baby needs some body work on the dents, it looks very doable.

I hope you keep the "period" color and I wish you all the best in your restoration effort. Please post updates on you progress Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Looks like a great project WB. I'll be interested to see the progress!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks guys! I sure will keep everyone updated.

When I got the car, the kid who had it before me said that after he put the new carburetor on it(Holley 2 barrel), it would fire up but not hold an idle or anything like that. After I finally got to look at the car and see what all was going on with it, I discovered two reasons why the car wasn't running right, as every Holley I've ever had worked right outta the box pretty much.

1. - he wasn't using the manual choke under the dash, the thing was a little seized up until I oiled it and worked it some

2. - the spark plug wires weren't in firing order. It wasn't quite 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, but it was darn close.

After getting the new wires and distributor I had put together on the puppy, and making sure the choke was working right, all was well! Not too bad for a 15 minute fix, if I do say so myself. cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:08 pm

That's great, just goes to show ya some people shouldn't even look under the hood except to put oil and water in. LOL!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
That's great, just goes to show ya some people shouldn't even look under the hood except to put oil and water in. LOL!
Ain't that the truth! Razz 

Next up for my fixin' is to replace the blinker switch and check the light wires. The headlights and brights work, and I've got blinker for the passenger side, but no driver side brake or blinker, so I'm thinking there's a short in the switch. It's broken in the housing somewhere because there's no click for the driver side. Lights come on fine, but the knob seems to be a little squirrely, so I'll check them.

After that, we move to the brakes! They work, but slowly. Since they're power brakes, I'm gonna start with the brake fluid first, and go from there. Once that's good, I'll start with the dash wires and get it put back together
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Seeing he replaced the carb the vacuum line to the power booster may be leaking and that may be the brake problem. Hope nothing is major beside wiring. I hate wiring specially nowadays cause I'm unable to get under a dash without putting myself in pain.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I love cars from the 60's. Had me a good few in my day. All were great and easy to work on (none of this computer stuff) and I'm not even a mechanic!

Got a few old dream cars picked out for some day when I can afford to indulge in that kind of casual luxury. Maybe after I retire.........heh.......

Twisted Evil 

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Brewdude wrote:
I love cars from the 60's. Had me a good few in my day. All were great and easy to work on (none of this computer stuff) and I'm not even a mechanic!

Got a few old dream cars picked out for some day when I can afford to indulge in that kind of casual luxury. Maybe after I retire.........heh.......

Twisted Evil 

Cheers,

RR

Better not wait too long BD, prices are constantly going up. Heck the days when I'd buy a $500 vehicle are gone and now your look'en at $5000 + for the same rust bucket with more rust then bucket.
Back to top Go down
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Twisted Evil 

Cheers,

RR

Better not wait too long BD, prices are constantly going up. Heck the days when I'd buy a $500 vehicle are gone and now your look'en at $5000 + for the same rust bucket with more rust then bucket.
Don't mean to kiss and tell, but I ended up getting this beastie for $3500, delivered to my mom's house and with all the original stuff, and the new stuff they hadn't put on yet. tongue 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm

$3500!!! Shocked  I paid $300 for my '63 Ford Galaxy with a 352 2 barrel automatic. Of course, that was 1975. And $60 for my '64 Ford station wagon with the 289 v8. They were great road cars.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:25 pm

IIRC, I paid $800 for a '68 Chevy 4-DR Biscayne with 30K on the clock back around '78.

Not a stylish car, and it had a small block 6-banger with no power anything. Yet it always started in any weather and I ended up putting over 100K on it.

Looked something like this-

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I think you've all proven that used car prices have sky rocketed since days gone by. The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 76 Eldorado in mint condition back in the late 80's for $700. I also got my 58 Chevy for $58 and a Toyota pickup for a $1 not to mention numerous Cadillac's for $100 -$200 a piece back when I'd drive them till I got too many tickets for unregistered vehicle and then buy another. But, times change and value whether or not it's viable goes up. $3500 is a good price for any older vehicle nowadays that can be made to run without too much. Here's the Caddy BTW, wish I still had it.

" />
Back to top Go down
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Seeing he replaced the carb the vacuum line to the power booster may be leaking and that may be the brake problem. Hope nothing is major beside wiring. I hate wiring specially nowadays cause I'm unable to get under a dash without putting myself in pain.

I'm really hoping most of the wiring is in good shape. Also, thanks for the advice on the carb to power booster; I hadn't thought of that! Next time I get to look at the car(just finished up finals last week) I'll probably start there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 am

Bob,

Here in Texas, no emissions tests after 25 yrs. I highly recommend making sure that the exhaust is opened up (straight piped) at least until you have everything running right, then put a glass pack on it. You will get a nice rumble if you do it right, and great airflow.

Glad to hear you got the carb working right. Something else you might consider is switching out to a 3g alternator. That will guaranty that you have a fully charged battery and all your electronics should work well. Make sure your grounds are clean and tight. I have seen more issues to crappy grounds than anything else. I have been fighting those issues on my 78 f100.

I look forward to seeing your project come to life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

d4klutz wrote:
Bob,

Here in Texas, no emissions tests after 25 yrs.  I highly recommend making sure that the exhaust is opened up (straight piped) at least until you have everything running right, then put a glass pack on it.  You will get a nice rumble if you do it right, and great airflow.

Glad to hear you got the carb working right.  Something else you might consider is switching out to a 3g alternator.  That will guaranty that you have a fully charged battery and all your electronics should work well.  Make sure your grounds are clean and tight.  I have seen more issues to crappy grounds than anything else.  I have been fighting those issues on my 78 f100.  

I look forward to seeing your project come to life.

You are more than correct on that point, my friend. I've got it tagged as an antique, so no inspection AT ALL in my future. I had an '82 El Camino that was a street/strip sleeper all through high school, and the biggest problem I always had was grounds and alternators. On the Merc, I'll probably straight pipe it, haven't decided if I'm gonna make it into more of a sleeper yet; once I figure that out, I'll probably decide what to do as far as exhaust, but I have to admit that it's really hard to beat the purr of straights all the way back with maybe single chamber mufflers, as the city I'm in does have pretty strict noise ordinances. I've never been the biggest fan of glasspacks, but I've never been around any well made packs either; any favorites in your book?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 am

I don't have any favorites of glasspacks. I used to hate them due to the blap blap of the exhaust notes when the engine would be revved. However, a good friend of mine just put a single 24" glasspack on his 2006 Yukon and it sounds good. Nice mean rumble, but not obnoxious. Apparently, if you put them on backwards, they make that loud blapping noise. If you put them on correctly, they leave a nice, mean, quiet rumble. If you can find a reputable muffler shop, they can help you decide the best one for your car. I love the sound of the rumble, but hate the drone and loudness of a lot of setups. True dual exhaust sounds the best (IMHO).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: New toy project   Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:14 am

d4klutz wrote:
 True dual exhaust sounds the best (IMHO).  

I think you hit the nail on the head there my friend.

I am good friends with the muffler man back where I grew up, and I spent a few summers helping him here and there on bigger jobs, so he showed me some stuff, but he was a regular muffler man and not a glasspack kinda guy, so I never dealt with them much; although, I do believe he mentioned something like what you said about putting glasspacks on backwards. I need to talk to him some next time I'm home before I make any big decisions
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New toy project
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1