HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tupperdor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 pm

so i made a tupperdor. made isn't really fair... i bought a container and put stuff in it. looking online on how to do it left me a little aggravated. i was looking for a cooler originally, and my wife was all like "oh hell no" so i went the tupperdor route. i was in the process of organizing my pipe tobacco cellar anyway, so this made sense.

• step 1: buy a tupperware container.

this i did at the container store. they have these awesome weather stripped water tight containers. they hold RH perfectly, and they are under $20. i got the 41.2 qt. the reason was the size. i wanted it to fit on my shelf with the pipe tobacco.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/totesTrunks?productId=10026213&green=6218E5D4-7933-5AA1-A232-E5DE29670DF5

looks like a warehouse. i love it.

• step 2: buy heartfelt beads

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads
i put 1/2lb in mine. if you go bigger, do a full pound. it's better to go more beads than less beads. i had made socks for them out of cheesecloth, and that was a mistake. the beads kinda fell out and the cotton would probably have molded anyway. i put them in little mason jar and put one in every corner:

success!

holds 65. yes the hygrometer is calibrated. i bought that from heartfelt as well. i may or may not buy some Spanish cedar and make some trays for it, maybe not.
hope this helps someone!

Last edited by somedumbjerk on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : me spell pretty one day)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:40 pm

For about $100 you can transform a 120 qt cooler into an effective coolidor. Some even put shelves into them. Given what that much space in a wood/cedar humidor would cost, it's substantial savings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:23 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
For about $100 you can transform a 120 qt cooler into an effective coolidor. Some even put shelves into them. Given what that much space in a wood/cedar humidor would cost, it's substantial savings.
yup, that was the original plan. the wife didn't want a cooler in the house so i went this direction. temp also doesn't really fluctuate where i live.

i neglected to mention washing the tupperware, this is very important. it took two washings for me to get the plastic smell gone. i used some dish soap and warm water. others use bleach, or vinegar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:39 pm

nice ... I've got a couple of active 'tupperdors' and they work extremely well ... at my peak, I had 4, but cut back a bit on my storage as my cigar consumption decreased ... I'm thinking I need to put one of those back in service to hold my now-growing pipe tobacco cellar.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm

That is a nice looking stash you have there. The tupperdor is a great, economical way to hold you cigars. Let us know how well it holds humidity!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Northern Neil wrote:
Let us know how well it holds humidity!
Mine hold steady ... no problem. Using the beads, it's on autopilot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:03 pm

SteveS wrote:
Northern Neil wrote:
Let us know how well it holds humidity!
Mine hold steady ... no problem.  Using the beads, it's on autopilot.
been a week and it's held perfectly, even with poor surface area on the beads. i have a ton of cigars on the way, i did some half hearted bids on cigarbid.com and won them all, so now i've got like 100 sticks on the way. hope i get to the package before my wife does... Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:20 pm

That's great!  The tupperdor setup you're using should work as well or better than a coolidor and for a considerably smaller investment.

The one thing I'd like to mention is it might work TOO well.  I suggest you let some fresh air in every 5-7 days or so.  Of course, if you're getting into it regularly anyway, this is a non-issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 pm

rothnh wrote:
I suggest you let some fresh air in every 5-7 days or so.
That's a good suggestion ... just as one would do in the case of a traditional cedar lined humidor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I have a 56qt cooler that I picked up for $20 at walmart - I figure there's more than enough ceder in the cigar boxes, so I just spent the rest of the money on cigars. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Cool Tupperdore. I have a small one going which holds my overflow. I recently lined it with some thin cedar scraps that I got for free from a local shop. I just throw a Boveda 2-way pack in it and forget about it. Eventually I'll replace the Boveda, but it holds a perfect humidity. Way less maintenance than my real humidor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DaveyNY

Registration date : 2014-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Tupperdor   Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 am

rothnh wrote:
That's great!  The tupperdor setup you're using should work as well or better than a coolidor and for a considerably smaller investment.

The one thing I'd like to mention is it might work TOO well.  I suggest you let some fresh air in every 5-7 days or so.  Of course, if you're getting into it regularly anyway, this is a non-issue.

+1

absolutely NEED to crack open the tupedor and let some fresh air circulate to prevent mold. yes its a teeny bit more maintenance to do and watch the RH but not an option. you need fresh air weekly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Tupperdor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Humidor-
Jump to: