HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Iwan Ries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dramatwist

Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Iwan Ries   Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am

I just received a package from Iwan Ries. Above and beyond.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 am

Was it what you ORDERED ? Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dramatwist

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:09 am

monbla256 wrote:
Was it what you ORDERED ? Twisted Evil 
Yes, it was... a Peterson in the sleeve and the correct box. Falcon "Dry-Rings". A generous complimentary sample of tobacco.

Best,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff

Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 am

Superb.

In all the years I dealt with them and all the pipes and tobacco I bought, I never even got a single pipe cleaner or a crumb of sample tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dramatwist

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Geoff wrote:
Superb.

In all the years I dealt with them and all the pipes and tobacco I bought,  I never even got a single pipe cleaner or a crumb of sample tobacco.
I don't have especially fond memories of past orders with this retailer... that's why I was so pleasantly surprised. Felt it was worth a mention.

Best,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Iwan Ries doesn't have the "best" prices.  They don't (AFAIK) offer "free shipping," at least on orders of $100 or more, like some vendors I frequent.

What Iwan Ries does offer is a certain ambiance.  That old school feel, not just in the store, which is obvious the minute you walk through the door, but also in the on line experience.

Like Paul's in Flint, MI, Iwan Ries prices their pipes fairly, and, unlike most other shops, B&M and online, retains those prices until the item is sold.  I like that.  I also like the fact that if you call them looking for something that can be hard to find, it's likely that you will have a better chance of finding what you want.

Iwan Ries, Paul's, L.J. Peretti, Owl Shop, Leavitt & Pierce, to name a few, are among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm

rothnh wrote:
,,,, L.J. Peretti,,,,among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"
I have yet to place an order to Peretti without being subjected to extreme rudeness. They have no concept of courtesy in my experience.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 pm

mark wrote:
rothnh wrote:
 ,,,, L.J. Peretti,,,,among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"
I have yet to place an order to Peretti without being subjected to extreme rudeness. They have no concept of courtesy in my experience.

They are just normal Boston Yankees. In your face and at times rude. Just respond in like manner and they understand. I have family that lives up there and they are the same. Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:20 pm

Had the honor of having the guys from Iwan Ries stop by the restaurant a couple days ago. They brought cigars to share with my staff. Always a classy move. Thread hijack coming:

One of the reasons I started smoking a pipe was because I had been reading so much classic literature (a new kindle lead to this because the classics are free, a no brainer for this cheapskate). Every time someone (at least men) walk into someones office or house, they are usually offered a drink as well as tobacco, either a cigar, pipe tobacco (or rarely, snuff, The Count of Monte Cristo for a notable reference). As a host, I always offer a beverage, either soft or hard, and keep a stock of both simply for guests. I keep NA beer for my dad and Miller Lite for my father in law. I drink neither, but I feel a responsibility as a host. I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dramatwist

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
Had the honor of having the guys from Iwan Ries stop by the restaurant a couple days ago. They brought cigars to share with my staff. Always a classy move. Thread hijack coming:

One of the reasons I started smoking a pipe was because I had been reading so much classic literature (a new kindle lead to this because the classics are free, a no brainer for this cheapskate). Every time someone (at least men) walk into someones office or house, they are usually offered a drink as well as tobacco, either a cigar, pipe tobacco (or rarely, snuff, The Count of Monte Cristo for a notable reference). As a host, I always offer a beverage, either soft or hard, and keep a stock of both simply for guests. I keep NA beer for my dad and Miller Lite for my father in law. I drink neither, but I feel a responsibility as a host. I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.

Well met fellow, hail!

I could not agree more with your host philosophy! Wonderful!

Best,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:31 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.

not only is tobacco part of the hospitality you'd get at my place, a comfortable leather chair with an ottoman is included ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dramatwist

PostSubject: Re: Iwan Ries   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:27 pm

SteveS wrote:
jefe1037 wrote:
 I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.

not only is tobacco part of the hospitality you'd get at my place, a comfortable leather chair with an ottoman is included ...

Splendid!

Best,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Iwan Ries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: