HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ridding burnt rubber smell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KevH

Registration date : 2013-01-02

PostSubject: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I bought an old GBD estate pipe with a "Tuscan Lip" vulcanite stem. I managed to clean the bowl and rid most of the mothball smell it had (it obviously sat in a closet for some time). I also cleaned the stem in oxyclean and polished it with Flitz. The stem now looks good, but has a terrible burnt rubber smell and taste.

Any idea how to fix this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 pm

KevH wrote:
I bought an old GBD estate pipe with a "Tuscan Lip" vulcanite stem. I managed to clean the bowl and rid most of the mothball smell it had (it obviously sat in a closet for some time). I also cleaned the stem in oxyclean and polished it with Flitz. The stem now looks good, but has a terrible burnt rubber smell and taste.

Get some of this if you want to do it yourself ( the Stem Restoration kit) or send it to them to do it or get a replacement stem to smoke it with and put the OEM stem in storage.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 pm

monbla256 wrote:
KevH wrote:

Get some of this if you want to do it yourself ( the Stem Restoration kit) or send it to them to do it or get a replacement stem to smoke it with and put the OEM stem in storage.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Smile 
AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Maybe you should think about having an Ozone treatment done to the pipe and stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lb

Registration date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:56 am

Try soaking the stem in olive oil for 24hrs. . Then dry (in and out) and buff with a cotton cloth (old t-shirt). Let me know your experience with this method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:19 pm

KevH wrote:

I'm thinking the Flitz may have contributed to this smell seeing it may have certain chemicals in it that have reacted with Vulcanite and or your sense of smell is sensitive. That's not a bad thing btw, mines the same way sometimes. I can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards it seems sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ridding burnt rubber smell   Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
KevH wrote:

I'm thinking the Flitz may have contributed to this smell seeing it may have certain chemicals in it that have reacted with Vulcanite and or your sense of smell is sensitive. That's not a bad thing btw, mines the same way sometimes. I can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards it seems sometimes.

Flitz polish is meant for METALS only. That probably could be the main culprit for sure! I'd re-clean the bit and ONLY polish with a product meant for rubber/plastic ONLY !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ridding burnt rubber smell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1