HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GBD New Standard 9488 pot

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:25 am

This is one beautiful old pipe which disappointed me to the point where I felt like breaking it's neck. Got it off eBay at a fair price and in excellent condition. But it smoked like crap.Evil or Very Mad 

I did everything I could think off and everything others had thought of but to no avail. I even filled it with baking soda and added vinegar to "boil" it, did this to both bowl and shank. I scrubed the bowl with a toothbrush and boiling water. No go.

Eventually I put it aside and tried to forget about it, left it alone for a couple of months. Took it up again a while ago and charged it with Presbyterian Blend. And there it was performing like a champ!!! Shocked 

Now, my brothers, how is this possible? This pipe can only be enjoyed with latakia blends? Anything else tastes like pure crap (never smoked pure crap but I imagine that's what it will taste like).

Any of the brothers experienced something like this?  Question 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:03 am

I have never resorted to anything like boiling water or vinegar/baking soda. I pretty much clean the stem/shank with pga and use multiple bristle cleaners in the shank until everything is as clean as I can get it inside. I ream almost all of the cake out and smoke it into submission. Sometimes this process is a little slower than other times, but they come around pretty quickly...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:16 am

I never heard of baking soda and vinegar either, but hey, if it worked!
I do also have a GBD pot that isn't a great smoker, maybe I'll try that combo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Nothing personal, but I think I'll stick with rock salt and alcohol when needed!!! I typically clean mine with a mixture of pipe sweetener and Everclear. Usually does the trick. I will say that I have a few briars that are Latweed-only. Nothing else smokes/tastes right in them.. FWIW FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:44 pm

The problem was the horse urine Latakia Laughing A well made English pipe, such as a GBD, requires some sweet Va.'s or Lakeland tobacco.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm

The reason why I eventually used baking soda and vinegar was because NOTHING else solved the problem. I reckoned if I should ruin the pipe completely, so be it because I could not smoke it in any case.Twisted Evil 

The problem was in the second half of the bowl. As soon as I was halfway through a bowl, the smoked started to taste bitter. I reamed the bowl until I could see raw briar. No good.

I will now continue smoking latakia blends (maybe some neat lat as well) only in this pipe. It seems to be improving all the time. I have enough pipes for VA's and Vapers.

But I'm still wondering why it likes lats only  Question  Oh, and I have a Davidoff Dublin with the same "problem" !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:48 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
The reason why I eventually used baking soda and vinegar was because NOTHING else solved the problem.   I reckoned if I should ruin the pipe completely, so be it because I could not smoke it in any case.Twisted Evil 

The problem was in the second half of the bowl.  As soon as I was halfway through a bowl, the smoked started to taste bitter. I reamed the bowl until I could see raw briar. No good.

I will now continue smoking latakia blends (maybe some neat lat as well) only in this pipe. It seems to be improving all the time.  I have enough pipes for VA's and Vapers.

But I'm still wondering why it likes lats only  Question  Oh, and I have a Davidoff Dublin with the same "problem" !

It's an older Brit pipe and older Brits smoked Latakia heavy blends !! They were MADE for each other !! I'll bet some 965 will just SING in that pipe !  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm

monbla256 wrote:
[

It's an older Brit pipe and older Brits smoked Latakia heavy blends !! They were MADE for each other !! I'll bet some 965 will just SING in that pipe !  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

This pipe took me back to the English blends. I have some Presbyterian blend, Pete's Old Dublin plus my "private blend" called JockLat (a mixture of Jock and pure Latakia).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:24 pm

151 RUM does pretty good for cleaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:03 am

I used to clean my pipes twice a year, but the last time I did so I decided, the significant amount of gunk I had removed notwithstanding, they didn't need cleaning so often. I've been amassing the members of a pipe rotation this past year, and I begin to feel the pipes' call to be cleaned. Oh! the pain of it!
Back to top Go down
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: GBD New Standard 9488 pot   Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:14 am

4noggins.com_Mike wrote:
I used to clean my pipes twice a year, but the last time I did so I decided, the significant amount of gunk I had removed notwithstanding, they didn't need cleaning so often. I've been amassing the members of a pipe rotation this past year, and I begin to feel the pipes' call to be cleaned. Oh! the pain of it!

I left my 48 briars for more than a year without cleaning except for a brush or two with a pipe cleaner. About a month ago I started cleaning all of them thoroughly, reaming, steel shank brush, the whole lot. Will NEVER again let it go so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GBD New Standard 9488 pot
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1