HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

"If You're the Sort"...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
coalsmoke

Registration date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:55 am

My cobwarden, with the Forever stem, falls under fifty bucks. My latest pipe, an estate Stanwell silver spigot blasted billiard, was a hundred bucks even. This year I want to buy some better pipes, all estates, so my budget will have to double.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I LOVE all of my estates, but my hands-down best smoker is a Mark Tinsky I bought new from him, and it was over $100. Worth every penny.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Favorites   Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 am

I have a Savinelli rusticated 803 EX Deluxe Canadian that has a large bowl over 2" high and is 8" overall in length that I bought for $75 back the late 90's.  It turned out to be as cool and sweet a smoker as pipes I own that cost over $400.  I was so impressed by it that I called Savinelli in Italy to try to buy more after every pipe store in Southern California was out of them.  Ever since, that pipe is the baseline against which all other pipes in my accumulation are measured for performance.  Now, like the rest of you, my eye is almost always drawn to pipes that look great and are almost invariably expensive.  But that pipe reinforced what I already knew, that quality of briar combined with design integrity, plus a certain shank length, will yield a comfortable and satisfying smoke every time, no matter how the pipe looks or how much I paid for it.  I have three other large bowl Savinelli rusticated Duco pipes (two bents and one Canadian), all of which are surprisingly satisfying at $75 a pop new late last year.  And there is the estate Lorenzo Grand Canadian 8.5" rusticated pipe with a huge bowl that smokes as well as the best pipes in my assortment that was bought for $45.  And, finally, there is the estate Jobey Dansk (Karl Erik) that I bought in the late 90's for $39 in Newport, which outperforms my Nordings and is bested as a freehand only by my Ben Wade Preben Holm and Tim West.

Now, as nice as the expensive (for me) Dunhills, Don Carloses, Morettis, Ascortis, Chacoms, James Upshalls, Orliks, Tim Wests and Rinaldis may be, I get a special pleasure out of the A-list smokers that came in below the $100 line.  I relive the pleasure of the bargain every time I light one of those guys up and reflect upon how one doesn't have to be rich to have a great experience.

Having said all of that, I am not above ordering custom-carved pipes and take satisfaction in how well they turn out.  But it's hard to beat a fine-smoking pipe that was also a bargain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 am

ExcessEnergy wrote:
I have a Savinelli rusticated 803 EX Deluxe Canadian that has a large bowl over 2" high and is 8" overall in length that I bought for $75 back the late 90's.  It turned out to be as cool and sweet a smoker as pipes I own that cost over $400.  I was so impressed by it that I called Savinelli in Italy to try to buy more after every pipe store in Southern California was out of them.  Ever since, that pipe is the baseline against which all other pipes in my accumulation are measured for performance.  Now, like the rest of you, my eye is almost always drawn to pipes that look great and are almost invariably expensive.  But that pipe reinforced what I already knew, that quality of briar combined with design integrity, plus a certain shank length, will yield a comfortable and satisfying smoke every time, no matter how the pipe looks or how much I paid for it.  I have three other large bowl Savinelli rusticated Duco pipes (two bents and one Canadian), all of which are surprisingly satisfying at $75 a pop new late last year.  And there is the estate Lorenzo Grand Canadian 8.5" rusticated pipe with a huge bowl that smokes as well as the best pipes in my assortment that was bought for $45.  And, finally, there is the estate Jobey Dansk (Karl Erik) that I bought in the late 90's for $39 in Newport, which outperforms my Nordings and is bested as a freehand only by my Ben Wade Preben Holm and Tim West.

Now, as nice as the expensive (for me) Dunhills, Don Carloses, Morettis, Ascortis, Chacoms, James Upshalls, Orliks, Tim Wests and Rinaldis may be, I get a special pleasure out of the A-list smokers that came in below the $100 line.  I relive the pleasure of the bargain every time I light one of those guys up and reflect upon how one doesn't have to be rich to have a great experience.

Having said all of that, I am not above ordering custom-carved pipes and take satisfaction in how well they turn out.  But it's hard to beat a fine-smoking pipe that was also a bargain.

And I can say "AMEN" to that  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm

First $100 pipe I ever bought...Ser Jacopo R2 large tanshell rusticated (DH 6/ODA or B) billiard. Darn near 30 years old now. Has always smoked like a dream!! I thought I had totally lost my mind buying a $100 pipe!!!!!! Shocked FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm

The best smoker I have is a Teipen. Second best is a Nording. Both cost me over $100.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:55 pm

" I thought I had totally lost my mind buying a $100 pipe!!!!!! FTRPLT"

i know just what you mean. My girlfriend at the time, whom I had known ever since high school, said that I was finally going over the line the first time that I bought one for more than $100. What she and I both did not know was that once you cross that threshold, it is far easier to do it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:50 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:
" I thought I had totally lost my mind buying a $100 pipe!!!!!!  FTRPLT"

i know just what you mean. My girlfriend at the time, whom I had known ever since high school, said that I was finally going over the line the first time that I bought one for more than $100. What she and I both did not know was that once you cross that threshold, it is far easier to do it again.

Oh yeah!!!! I have "crossed the threshold" on many occasions since then!!! Twisted Evil FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 am

ftrplt wrote:
ExcessEnergy wrote:
" I thought I had totally lost my mind buying a $100 pipe!!!!!!  FTRPLT"

Oh yeah!!!! I have "crossed the threshold" on many occasions since then!!! Twisted Evil FTRPLT

You are indeed right. The fact is, for me, I shall never buy a pipe under $100 again most likely. I buy so few pipes now that I typically save up for one that I really like. My next purchase will be $200+, I'm sure, as I am in the market for a morta pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:18 am

Single favorite pipe of all : a Sasquatch (> $100).   I love you 

Coming in March : an Ocelot88 (> $100).

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Yak wrote:

Coming in March : an Ocelot88 (over).

What a Face

Oooohhh I can't wait to see what Jesse is cooking up for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Last edited by Yak on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:09 pm

My two best smokers are a Mastro de Paja and a circa-2000 Dunhill, both of which cost well over $100. But I have several Savinellis that I paid less than $100 for that are just about as good, and one of my Sasienis, for which I paid less than $50 new, is not only a great smoker, but also has the prettiest sandblast of any pipe I own. There are great pipes in many price ranges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Last edited by Yak on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Over. My two favorites to smoke are a 66 Dunhill Shell Briar, and a recently acquired pipe from Jesse Jones. Both are billiards.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 am

Over, a Growley half blasted natural rhodie and an Askwith morta bulldog. Easily my two best looking and great smoking pipes. With that said I have sub $100 Pete's which are great smokers. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PlateauGuy

Registration date : 2013-11-22

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 pm

It seems to be the pipe shape that turns out to be my favorite. I have a Peterson Kildare 999 that was under $100 and a Peterson Rosslare 999 that was over. Both are great smokes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "If You're the Sort"...   Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't know if I could point to one in particular, but if the house were on fire, there are 3 or 4 that I would grab, one is under the rest are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

"If You're the Sort"...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2