HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:01 pm

I was able to meet some forum members from another pipe forum today at the JB Hayes shop in Winchester Virginia.  Pipe maker Abe Herbaugh, a member here was also able to attend.  If you haven't seen a Herbaugh pipe in person, they are really some fine creations.  

The shop has some older, unsmoked Mark Tinsky Christmas pipes marked down 25% JB Hayes (John )was part of the development for the Tinsky Christmas Pipe starting in 1984.  I couldn't resist this Naked Coral Cumberland Bulldog from 2008.   Another attendee, from the PipesMagazine.com forums was there and has the complete Mark Tinsky Christmas Pipe collection.  He had an advent thread over on that forum you might enjoy:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/american-smoking-pipe-company-christmas-pipes-advent-calender

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm

I would've loved to been there, but found the distance a slight hinderance. Thank you for sharing pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Looks like a good time was had by all.  Congratulations on your new acquisition.  I almost pulled the trigger on an Abe Herbaugh earlier in the year but hesitated and it was sold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 am

Looks like a fine place to meet for sure.
I know Robin and have seen his Tinsky Christmas collection at shows, it's super. And I recognize Yuri sitting there as well. A fine gentleman that I spoke with in Richmond some time ago. I remember when John Hayes started the Tinsky Christmas pipe series and it seems like yesterday, hard to believe it's been that long. Thanks for the photo Al, and the Naked Finish Tinsky pipe you bought is awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
laherb

Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:51 pm

It was great to meet some fellow pipe and tobacco enthusiast, and great to see you again Al! Thanks for setting this up.

Abe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:35 pm

For some reason, I wasn't getting the email updates on this thread!

Thanks guys. I did join the pipe club started at the JB Hayes shop and look forward to meeting more of those folks. It looks pretty active.

The Tinsky pipe has proven to be a very interesting smoke. I smoke MM965, 7 bowls per week, more in the summer, for the past three years (thanks Les Young!). In this pipe, the nicotine really kicked me in the butt. I don't know if you noticed Abe, but I was a little green in the gills after that bowl on Saturday (and why I left a little early). I've smoked it two mores times and while diminished, the nicotine still packs a wallop from what I'm use to in my other 40+ pipes. Is it the naked, no stain or wax coral finish? The bowl size is on the smaller size, I'd say a group 3, so it isn't the volume (and I smoke MM965 in my giant Upshalls probably weekly). The flavors of this blend are also elevated. I hope that remains but the nicotine tames with some cake buildup. Has anyone else experienced this? I should also note this is one of a handful of pipes I've purchased new, 98% of my collection are estates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh   Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:38 pm

docwatson wrote:
Looks like a fine place to meet for sure.
I know Robin and have seen his Tinsky Christmas collection at shows, it's super. And I recognize Yuri sitting there as well. A fine gentleman that I spoke with in Richmond some time ago. I remember when John Hayes started the Tinsky Christmas pipe series and it seems like yesterday, hard to believe it's been that long. Thanks for the photo Al, and the Naked Finish Tinsky pipe you bought is awesome.

It was fascinating to speak to Robin in person about the history of the Tinsky Christmas pipes. The shop owner, Matthew Hayes also collects them and is missing only the 1984 pipe that Robin just acquired. Robin has a wonderful "Tinsky Advent" thread on the pipesmagazine.com forum and it was very timely to meet him and acquire one for myself.

Yuri it turns out is from the same town in Germany as my Grandparents and other relatives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

JB Hayes Meet w/Abe Herbaugh
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1