HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Why

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelhammer

Registration date : 2012-07-06

PostSubject: Why   Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm

What is the reason for using distilled water in humidification jars? I know all tap water is not created equal, but mine is very good here at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Why   Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Kelhammer wrote:
What is the reason for using distilled water in humidification jars?  I know all tap water is not created equal, but mine is very good here at home.

Well, if you know it not to have Chlorine in it or any other additives for purifying it to be drinkable I would go ahead in use it. The reason to use distilled is because it doesn't have any of that in it.
My water is well water but, they have to put chlorine in it to make it safe enough to drink nowadays and I can actually smell it when I turn the tap on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Why   Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Yep, distilled water does not contain additives. Tap water has a bunch of them as well as minerals that all can interfere with humidification devices.

A gallon of distilled water costs less that $1 -- a solid investment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaveyNY

Registration date : 2014-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Why   Tue May 13, 2014 4:31 pm

If it's not distiller the minerals will eventually climb the system
They calcify in your beads, green moss, etc and don't let the system you are using regulate (release and adsorb) the water properly.

Trust me, don't get lazy use distiller it's a pain to buy a new system because the RH just won't regulate..... Ask me how I know Smile

David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Why   Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 pm

I always thought it was an anti-mold issue???

Regardless, $0.89 at Walmart for distilled water.

DaveyNY

Registration date : 2014-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Why   Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm

Yes mold will form easier at higher RH so that is def true (and by the way, an old copper penny ie real copper placed in the humidifier device will prevent mold) but the main reason is it just absolutely destroys the devices ability to maintain the RH properly after a few months of not using distilled. you'll still get mold if the RH is kept too high but not as quickly.

For me it was always laziness... and i paid for it every time. Now I just ask my much better half to always grab me couple jugs when I am down to 1 gallon.

David

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Humidor-
Jump to: