HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Hey all,  Im from Hockley, TX and I work downtown.  I picked up my first pipe just after Christmas.  I have been trying different blends, but have yet to really settle on any style.. etc.  I am looking for fellow pipe smokers that I can learn from and just hang out with at times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm

You've come to the right place. Welcome to the brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

Location : Where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars.
Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Welcome aboard ... it's been my observation that there are many folks here that are willing to impart their knowledge and wisdom ... as for 'hanging out', this place is open 24/7 and no one will bug you about turning off the lights or lowering the sound on whatever you are listening to ...

You will want to bear one thing in mind as you cruise through the many and sometimes seemingly conflicting opinions that you will see offered ... there's an old Latin proverb that says "de gustibus non est disputandum" ... translated, that means there can be no arguing in matters of taste ... everyone has an opinion which is right for them, including you ... the fact that someone else has been piping for a decade or two for every week you've been at it does not mean that their opinions are right and yours wrong when it comes to what you should be putting in the pipe of your choice to smoke ... YOU are the ultimate arbiter of what is right for you in both pipes and tobacco.

Enjoy your time here ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for the greetings.  I have been browsing the forums and am a little overwhelmed by all the information here.  Im a noob when it comes to piping.  I just got a Viking sandblast bent billiard and am enjoying it.  I have a churchwarded (no name) and 4 corncobs.  I like the draw of a corncob, but am having a hard time with tongue bite.  I try to smoke slowly, but no matter how slow I smoke, it seems the bowl gets hot and I get tongue bite.  Any advice would be welcome.

Also, Im having a bit of trouble figuring out the different blends of tobacco. I got a sampler from EA carey and struggle with tasting much of a difference other than the amount of tongue bite and the aroma. I love a more pleasing aroma, but dont want a sickeningly sweet taste. Any good advice for a beginner looking to find his way? I kinda feel lost with all the different blends and selections out there.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Well, I'm sure you will get plenty of help on all subjects....let me suggest 2 tobaccos that I think you will find enjoyable.  Try 4-Noggins Killington and 4-Noggins Lord Methley.  Two fine light aromatics that will give you no bite and a pleasant smoke.  If you indicate that you are a BoB member you get 10% off, which if you are buying any bulk can amount to a fair amount of cash saved.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Welcome to BoB d4. You'll find a great group of folks here to bounce any questions off.

As for your query about tongue bite here's a good thread to start from-

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t19495-tongue-bite-and-tobaccos?highlight=tongue+bite

There's plenty more info about this here. Just use the search function and enter "tongue bite". Hope this is of benefit to you.

And FYI, I had a problem with this many years ago. I personally found I was smoking too fast and too wet. I started drying the 'baccy a bit first and this helped a lot. Also some 'baccys will tend to bite if smoked too fast even if they are dried a bit, straight Virginias to name one.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
d4klutz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the replies and starter tips. I will definitely try some things suggested in that thread. Ill also look for the recommended blends. I have been enjoying ea careys light black aromatic and ea careys mystery blend. Strangely, the straight va smokes great in my straight country gentleman corncob, but is horrible in my bent billiard. Im still playing around with pipe combos and the blends i have.

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 pm

d4klutz wrote:
Awesome!  Thanks for the replies and starter tips.  I will definitely try some things suggested in that thread.  Ill also look for the recommended blends.   I have been enjoying ea careys light black aromatic and ea careys mystery blend.  Strangely,  the straight va smokes great in my straight country gentleman corncob,  but is horrible in my bent billiard.  Im still playing around with pipe combos and the blends i have.

That's part and parcel of the mystery of pipes and certain blends. What smokes awful in one pipe sings in another. Part of the fun is finding out what the best combos are.

I'll also add that many aromatics are prone to smoke hot as a result of the casing. They can also have more PG added which will tend to make them wetter, and therefore produce more steam which can result in the dreaded tongue bite.

So if you're mostly an aro guy I'd recommend drying them a bit first.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Welcome aboard. There's a great bit of knowledge & info on these forums. When in doubt just ask, real friendly group of people on here Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy

Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Welcome to BoB, d4 (I guess it would be insulting to call you Klutz!  Laughing )!
We were all once where you are in experience. This is a great hobby. Enjoy the journey!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forums! I hope you continue to enjoy the pipe-learning curve. . . it's a lot of fun!

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 am

Heya Klutz, nice to meet you and welcome to BoB, I'm quite sure you have learnt all you need to from the thread you were directed to by the very amicable Brewdude, not much can be added to that suggestion so I shall just wish you well and hope that you enjoy your times here with us.  cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 am

Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Welcome to our hobby and to BoB, D4   Smile 

Some great advice here!

Yep, use the "pinch test" -- take out a bowlful of pipe tobacco and place it on a plate or sheet of paper; take a pinch of that tobacco between thumb and forefinger, lift it a few inches, then drop it.  If the pinch drops in clumps, it's too moist, so let it dry a bit.  When the dropped pinch stops clumping, it is ready to  pack into your pipe.

Don't pack the tobacco too tightly.  Drop feed the tobacco into the bowl, tapping it gently with your index finger.  The tobacco should be "springy" once the bowl is filled, leaving a quarter inch of space at the rim.

The dry draw should be like sipping soda through a straw; if the draw is more like sipping a McDonald's shake, you've packed the bowl too tightly.

Most important:  slow down and sip, then slow down some more, until the tobacco seems to smoke itself.

Regarding the 4 Noggins BoB discount:  use the promotion code "BOB" in the box provided before checkout; BoB members get 10% off their order at 4 Noggins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Rothnh, Thanks for the advice on the "pinch" test.  Was wondering how to tell if the tobacco was too wet or not.  I have already ordered the suggested blends from 4noggins as well as some Three Nuns.  I look forward to trying them.

What is the best way to store bulk tobacco?

Also, does anyone here like Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi river blend? According to P&C, it is "Rich Virginias Pressed Tobacco Spiced with Oriental leaf Latakia, and Perique".  I have 4 oz that I have smoked 1 bowl out of.  I did not find it pleasant at all.  Ill be glad to send it out to someone who likes it.  I can even split it in half and send 2oz to 2 people.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

d4klutz wrote:
Rothnh, Thanks for the advice on the "pinch" test.  Was wondering how to tell if the tobacco was too wet or not.  I have already ordered the suggested blends from 4noggins as well as some Three Nuns.  I look forward to trying them.

Also, does anyone here like Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi river blend?  According to P&C, it is "Rich Virginias Pressed Tobacco Spiced with Oriental leaf Latakia, and Perique".    I have 4 oz that I have smoked 1 bowl out of.  I did not find it pleasant at all.  Ill be glad to send it out to someone who likes it.  I can even split it in half and send 2oz to 2 people.

Bulk is best stored in Ball or Mason jars. If the seals are in good order you can expect many years of confident storage. But remember that when you open a sealed jar the ageing process will be interrupted. And that may or may not be a bad thing depending on where the 'baccy is in the ageing process. Only you will be able to ascertain this.

And while I'm a member of SPC I've not tried the blend you mention. But there again I'm pretty much off forthright Lat blends right now in my pipe journey.

I might suggest that you put this back in storage and come back to it at a future date. You could well find that your tastes have changed and this blend will ring your bells.

As I understand it, the components of the SPC club blends such as this are not available or are too expensive to go forward with. So you may well have something valuable.

Just my humble 2c............

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
rothnh

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm

d4klutz wrote:

First of all, please call me Roth  Wink 

I store bulk tobacco in 8 oz./half pint regular Ball canning jars; these jars are sold in cases of 12 at Walmart for about $8.

I like and use these half pint jars exclusively because they hold about 2-3 ounces of tobacco.  I buy bulk tobacco by the pound, and storing tobacco in these 8 oz. jars allows me to open and smoke one jar while keeping the rest of that same tobacco sealed and aging.

Of course, you can use these same jars to store smaller amounts of bulk or even the contents of cans or tins.  Ball also makes (and Walmart sells) 4 oz. jars (called "jelly gift jars") which hold about a 50 gram tin of tobacco -- as well as "wide mouth" 8 oz. jars which are easier to get into, but cost more and don't stack as well.

I use a fine point Sharpie to I.D. the contents on the lid of each jar,along with the MM/YY I "canned" it.  (BTW, the ink is easy to remove with a drop of nail polish remover once the jar is empty).

Speaking of stacking, I just keep the cardboard case the 12 jars are sold in, then, once the jars are filled with tobacco, I simply stack the full case in my cellar (a walk-in closet), using a Sharpie to I.D. the contents on the side of the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Brewdude,

I will see about putting up the Mississippi river blend to see if it gets any better with age. As far as Mississippi River goes, it is still available in bulk, just not the tins. I have heard the tins are better than the bulk, but since I have nothing to compare with, I have to go with what I could get. It is a bit peppery and has a peppery bite to it. I would assume that since my taste buds are still new to the pipe smoke, that I am undiscerning as to subtle flavors and aromas. Maybe time will help me enjoy it more.

Roth,

Thanks for the advice on jar sizes. I will pick up some half-pint jars tomorrow.

If anyone wants some of the Mississippi River, Ill be glad to send out a bit. I think I will store 2 oz for later and see if ageing it will help it at all.

BTW, my name is JP or John Paul. I get called alot of things... even Klutz... hence the handle.
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:26 am

Sometimes no matter what you do you'll get tongue bite, as in my case, I can't smoke most Burley's and it's just because of my body chemistry. I can smoke Virgina's all day long, fast and hard with no sign of bite. The hardest thing for the new pipe smoker is to get the packing correct but, when you do you'll find you'll enjoy most of your smokes and find a flavor you've never experienced and without BITE. Drying tobaccos out can have it pros and cons. I believe that most tobaccos should at least be tried several times before attempting to dry them because I myself have found that the moisture in them departs a smoother and different taste. Now if you can roll a little in your fingers and pinch it and it doesn't spring back and or sticks together, it may need drying. But for the most part I seldom dry any. Although the "What ever works best for you" rule always applies here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Dramatwist

Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers   Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Happy you're here!

Welcome!

Best,
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Greetings fellow Pipe Smokers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top