HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

APO tobacco shipment...OK?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm

So I put together a modest box of pipe tobacco sampler things and gear, sealed the box, took it to the PO, stepped to the counter and was presented with a customs form? New to me. "It's to protect the troops!" they say. Right. Whatever. I fill it out and go back up. "OH! I don't think tobacco items are allowed, Sir!" they say. WHAT!  Since when?  I've sent cigars and pipe tobacco to our troops for years! So they ask around, pull out reg sheets, scratch their heads and finally say they'll let it go - after all - they'll just send it back if it's not OK! From Afghanistan??? Ouch!

Another day in paradise presented by your cracker jack team at the USPS!

So...should I be worried? Have the Nazis killed private shipping of tobacco to our troops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 pm

My wife had the same problem so I told her to send it to me as tea since they never look inside the box I got every package she sent with no problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah...I grew up in the 60's. I know all the semi-covert terms to use when shipping clandestine stuff. But I'd like to know, hopefully, that we don't need to do that...that it's OK..not banned.

Claiming it's something other than the banned substance constitutes Mail Fraud, after all. I KNOW that no one here would suggest THAT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Hobby supplies. Collectible tins. Wood carvings.  sunny 

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Mail Fraud. Mail Fraud. Mail Frail.

My question...again...is it, or is it not OK to send tobacco items to overseas troops at an APO address?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Here's the "official" regs via the USPS:

http://pe.usps.com/FRN/PACT_Act_APO_FPO_DPO_final.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Even from here we are allowed to mail tobacco. They say it had to be unopened from here but they have never cared when I've taken baggies over to mail home. Even open snuff hasn't been an issue. I just got a box of those new Spectre cigars that have Latakia in them. By the way, I don't recommend those fwiw. I've been mailing for the past 10 years more steadily over the last 3 with never an issue. I'm sure the folks will enjoy BH. They did give a second look at the white energy snuff though when I mailed it home. Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:02 pm

BH, I've tried to ship some to PNG and declared it as such. The local PO cited the PACT act and tried to send me away. I told them they were reading it wrong. After she printed it off and read it, she couldn't say for certainty that she was correct, but due to a stated policy at the sort station in Portland it would be confiscated.

Yeah, it's a heap of horse dung.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:24 pm

MB -

Thanks for the regs covering cigarettes and smokeless tobacco (snuff), which by my reading is OK when sent Priority with DC so long as host country dies not consider it illegal and the recipient is of legal age to purchase in their home country.

That begs the questions as to whether loose pipe tobacco falls under either of those categories, which I would deem it does not... So should therefore be OK. We'll see I guess.

Kaiser - if past and recent practice are indicative of current practice, we should also be OK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 am

FYI re outcome of this venture:

"From: kaiser83
To: Blackhorse
Posted: Today at 8:26 pm
Subject: Re: Aros

Quote message

The box got here brother. I opened it up yesterday and the guys started digging into it. I tried to get them into lat blends but it appears they aren't too big a fan of my style. Although one did show interest yesterday so I am going to throw a cob at him in a couple hours when they get on shift so he can jump into this world. They are elated sir and asked me to say thank you for them."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 am

That's great news. I couldn't do that from Salem as the PO here blocks it.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:10 am

Then they're misinterpreting the law.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 am

Update, I threw two cobs at him and he can't wait to get into work today and start trying out the tobaccos. I will have left everyone here with at least 2 pipes so they can rotate them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Then they're misinterpreting the law.
Yeah. I pointed it out on the printed copy she provided for me. She hesitated and then said it was a "higher ups" call. I let her know what I thought of her refusal of the package in the face of a clearly stated law, respectfully of course. "We'll ma'am, you're wrong and so is your boss. Please pass that along for me."
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Back when I use to send the care packages to the troops during the holidays I never had an issue sending pipe tobacco or cigars to the troops. When my son was deployed overseas on the USS Enterprise I use to send him cigars and chewing tobacco (for trading purpuses), all the packages made it. It was declared on the customs forms and the post offices here in Arizona never batted an eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: APO tobacco shipment...OK?   Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:06 pm

MM - that's been my experience as well.

I find it reprehensible that a local office, through ignorance of the law, can deny one's rights. Smokers take enough guff within the law...expanding that to local preference is ludicrous.

The thing is...shipments of pipe tobacco and cigars are legal within the 50 states...the local PO can accept the package and let US Customs decide on the legality (as the APO shipping is a Customs issue). If Customs doesn't like it they can just return it and the shipper is out the postage. That's the way one local PO explained it...and it makes sense. But for the local PO to deny the package is just totally wrong!

Hmmm. I wonder how one can get in touch with the Postmaster General in charge of the region? A few quick dispatches fired off to his or her office might yield appropriate results! Let's see...Oregon...Salem...hmmm..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1