HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sad day today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Today I had to say goodbye to my buddy Gomez.

Gomez was my Pixie-Bob, aged 16 years. He bonded with me from the first day when he was a 12 week old kitten and has been my buddy, shadow, and companion for all this time.

He was very intelligent, knew his name, came when called, playful, goofy, affectionate, always well behaved, greeted me at the door when I came home every time, followed me around like a dog, and much more. He was a way great companion in all ways. And I loved him dearly. I could sense that he returned the feelings. Too much to type.

Over the past few months he began losing ground. Lost a lot of weight, activity started to diminish, drinking a lot of water, started vocalizing that he wasn't happy (one gets to know this kind of thing), and much more that alerted me that there were issues.

Took him to the vet and discovered that he had cancer - an abdominal tumor. And given his age and present condition the prospect of surgery was not an option. The vet gave him about a month.

Over the past 4 days or so his condition deteriorated to a point that I knew it was *time*. I've been in this position many times over the years with other dogs and cats. It never gets any easier. Yet I was prepared to do the last final kindness I could for my buddy.

The time came today. He was not eating, having trouble walking, very weak, vocalizations told me he was in distress, and had lost control of his bladder.

We went to my vet, and he lay calmly on the table looking me in the eyes. He knew it was time, and so did I. He didn't protest or cry out. I talked to him the entire time, as he knows my voice.  He slipped peacefully out of this life into his next one.

I lost my female Pixie-Bob Dixie (his sister) earlier this past year due to renal failure. Having Gomez go so soon after her is difficult.

And yet we all surround ourselves with lives that are so temporal compared to ours be it dog, cat, bird, whatever. There is an emotional bond. And it hurts when it goes away.

RIP Gomez. My buddy.

No Cheers today,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your loss BD. It's obvious that you care a lot for your animals and they care a lot for you. That speaks volumes about your character. Good vibes your way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm not a cat person but, I still know the sadness of losing a close friend in a pet.  Sad 
My condolences sir.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 pm

I've been married for 34 years, we've never had a cat until last year. I get it. I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Brew,
I truly Feel for you in your loss. I lost my Poncho back in June last year and I'm still really not over it. 16 years means he was a major part of your life and is a major loss. Try and remember, YOU gave him 16 years of care and love, more than so many of them get. My heartfelt condolences.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. They become such a huge part of your life, it's like losing part of yourself. Sending wishes for better days to come.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:32 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. May time ease your pain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:21 am

Sorry to hear this BD. It is tough to lose an animal companion...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:50 am

I am sorry to hear about your loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:56 am

The energy that drives us truly is Eternal, although our Mortal shell has a finite span the energy within us travels through the Cosmos for all Eternity. You had true blessings in your dear feline friends, you have wonderful memories to lean on when the loss feels too painful, knowing it was time to move on makes the new journey so much easier to venture into, although you are left with a terrible pain in your heart, knowing they are existing in their new incarnation can go some way to helping us heal from the departure.

My thoughts are with you Brother, so sorry for the loss you are feeling, as you know it will ease in time, be well and safe journeys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:48 am

So sorry for your loss Brewdude.

DAVE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 am

BD, I'm sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am

I'm sorry for your loss BD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 am

Truly sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm

Truly sorry for your loss brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:57 pm

I went through the same thing - trip to the vet and all - a few years ago. I wouldn't have thought losing a cat would have been able to just wreck me the way it did. I'm sorry for your loss brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Im sorry to hear of your loss, Brewdude. There is nothing that causes more distress than loosing someone or some animal that has been your best friend for many hears. May peace come to you in this distressing time.

JP
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Brew,

So sorry for the loss of your friend.  I've got two elderly dogs and they tell you how they feel.  They also let you know when their time is getting close.  Mine are letting me know now...just like their sister did 2 years ago.  The pain is just monumental.  The feeling of loss.

You love them and they know it.  I guess that is the best part.  They acknowledge that love that you give them.

They have so much love.

Peace my brother....may you have peace knowing that you did your best for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordTemplar

Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:48 pm

I wish I could say more than I am sending healing thoughts your way. I love all animals and have lost several cats and two dogs. I feel your pain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I want to thank each and every one of you for the condolences expressed on this thread and pm. It's apparent that many of you are familiar with the grief and sadness an event like this brings. Losing a much loved 4-legged family member is tough to deal with, no matter how long you've been together or how bad the health at the time.

It's now very strange to come home expecting Gomez to greet me at the door meowing for his supper, jumping up on the clothes washer asking to be groomed, coming up on my lap for attention and head butts, and all the other routine things he did on a daily basis.

It was especially difficult to gather up all his toys he played with until recently, scratching pad, food dish, litter box, and so on. Gut wrenching actually.

He always slept with me on the bed, and would lay right next to my head and if I turned over he'd move so he could face me. Gonna miss that, as well as all the other things I came to know and love. I'll always cherish the memory of one quirky thing he did regularly-

When I had my daily "sit-down" he'd come into the bathroom and meow at me. And then he'd want to look into the bathtub. I have a sliding door on it and I'd move it just enough so he could look in, even though he'd done this hundreds of times before.

Sometimes he'd look in until his curiosity was satisfied, other times he'd jump in the tub and look around.

Some years ago when we had one of our power outtages, I had filled the tub with water so I could flush the toilet if the water pressure went down.

So when I was on the throne, in comes Gomez wanting to look in the tub. Just like always. I slid the door open, and he looked in the tub for a little and meowing. Guess he was intrigued by the difference in the look of the water.

He climbed up on the tub rim (which is pretty narrow), and promptly slipped right into the tub of water. There was only maybe 6" water there so he didn't go in over his head. I clearly saw that this surprised him as his expression was like "WTF"???

Within a millisecond he "exploded" out of the tub, running like he was set on fire!! I was sitting there literally LMAO!!!!!!!!

I thought at the time "that'll cure you of your curiosity you crazy cat". But nope, he continued to do this time and time again. And every time he did it I remembered that one occasion, and always laughed a little.

Now it's very quiet around here. Too quiet actually. And yes, I'll adopt another companion in due course. When the time is right.

But right now is a time for mourning, grieving, and reflection.

Thanks again folks. I'll sign off this thread now. Getting choked up.

Lump in the throat.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Sorry for your loss Brewdude. Good pets are family, unconditional buddies.

People laugh when I tell them about my good furry friend, a Dutch rabbit (my daughters pet), who for some reason has taken to me. She quite the ham. She hangs out with us while we watch movies at night, sits in our laps, licks our feet, begs for food, and runs laps around the couches for attention. As far as small pets go, she's grand & I will miss her dearly when she's gone.

Tonight, I 'll raise a glass to Gomez.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Sorry for your loss BD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:19 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to deal with the pain of loss, even when we know it's the right thing. They ask for so little, and give us so much. My thoughts are with you. It's been almost a year since I lost Stella, and I still tear up when I think of her. Take your time to honour his life, and grieve his passing. You are amongst those who understand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Sad day today   Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Been through that several times with dogs. I know how you feel. I like my dogs better than most people. After we put my last dog down last year I said no more because it hurt so much. I now have a pack of 4 rescues ranging from 15-70 pounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Sad day today   Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 am

cigarsarge wrote:
Been through that several times with dogs. I know how you feel. I like my dogs better than most people. After we put my last dog down last year I said no more because it hurt so much. I now have a pack of 4 rescues ranging from 15-70 pounds.

Good for you...I have 2 myself.  They make the best friends...sometimes they know what they came from all too well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sad day today
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next