HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Help finding the maker of a pipe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BriarThePipeSmoker



Age : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-06

PostSubject: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Hello Gents!

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me track down the pipe maker of a pipe I own. Nobody around here seems to know who it's from, and a friend of mine has a pipe with the same symbol on it.

The only information displayed on the pipe other than the symbol is it says "Great Britain" on it as well as "Sterling Silver" on the band. (Or as best as I can make out on the band)

The symbol:


And an overall view of the pipe:


Thanks for any help you guys can provide!


Last edited by BriarThePipeSmoker on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:17 pm

BriarThePipeSmoker wrote:
Hello Gents!

I was hoping you guys would be able to help me track down the pipe maker of a pipe I own. Nobody around here seems to know who it's from, and a friend of mine has a pipe with the same symbol on it.

The only information displayed on the pipe other than the symbol is it says "Great Britain" on it as well as "Sterling Silver" on the band. (Or as best as I can make out on the band)

The symbol:


And an overall view of the pipe:


Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Did you mean to post the SAME pic twice? The "overall view" is not that  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarThePipeSmoker



Age : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Whoops! I most certainly did not. That would be why you always triple check posts. Alrigt overview picture should be up now, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Pipephil.eu didn't provide clues. Maybe one of the older gents can point you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
RAlden

avatar

Location : Dallas, Texas
Registration date : 2012-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Isle of Man. This was the center of African Meerschaum pipe production. There were a lot of different names stamped on them, but the symbol on the stem represents the location, i.e. Isle of Man.
If you like the pipe, just search for more African Meers, good chance they were produced in the area, probably by the same company though I don't know all the history involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aldenpipes.com
rothnh



Location : Midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Great call, Ryan!

The meerschaums from the Isle of Man have a fascinating history. Yours is a fine example, Briar -- a great smoker too, I've no doubt.

Enjoy -- and thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

A brand of MANXMAN PIPES Ltd, The Quay, Old Laxey, Isle of Man, British Isles.
The meerschaum used for these pipes usually was of Tanzanian origin.
Scroll down to MAN in the link below and you'll see a pipe much like yours.

MAN
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
A brand of MANXMAN PIPES Ltd, The Quay, Old Laxey, Isle of Man, British Isles.
The meerschaum used for these pipes usually was of Tanzanian origin.
Scroll down to MAN in the link below and you'll see a pipe much like yours.

MAN

Cart...You da' "Man!!!" No pun intended!!!!!!! lol! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 am

I have a small Kiko with the eliphant on the stem, also out of that region. I never smoke it because it tastes awefull
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
I have a small Kiko with the eliphant on the stem, also out of that region. I never smoke it because it tastes awefull

Pete, Have you tried to clean it thoroughly?
If you remember I had a meer that was well fouled with Lakelands and with a bit perseverance I was able to clear the nasty ghost out and end up with a good smoker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:40 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
I have a small Kiko with the eliphant on the stem, also out of that region. I never smoke it because it tastes awefull

Pete, Have you tried to clean it thoroughly?
If you remember I had a meer that was well fouled with Lakelands and with a bit perseverance I was able to clear the nasty ghost out and end up with a good smoker.

Hi my bro', I was gifted this pipe by a friend of mine who told me it's not a good one. So I did not go to a lot of trouble to clean it properly. It's quite a small pipe, good for a quick smoke, maybe half hour at the most. I have two other pipes which I use for that purpose.
I will now spend more time on it to see if I can get it any better. I hate to neglect a pipe, it's like forsaking a friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Help finding the maker of a pipe   Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
I have a small Kiko with the eliphant on the stem, also out of that region. I never smoke it because it tastes awefull

Pete, Have you tried to clean it thoroughly?
If you remember I had a meer that was well fouled with Lakelands and with a bit perseverance I was able to clear the nasty ghost out and end up with a good smoker.

Hi my bro',  I was gifted this pipe by a friend of mine who told me it's not a good one. So I did not go to a lot of trouble to clean it properly. It's quite a small pipe, good for a quick smoke, maybe half hour at the most. I have two other pipes which I use for that purpose.
I will now spend more time on it to see if I can get it any better. I hate to neglect a pipe, it's like forsaking a friend.

I know what you mean sir.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
Help finding the maker of a pipe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» MADELEINE COULD BE FOUND ALIVE {Merged topics}
» The Creepy Jon Corner
» VIDEO - RECONSTRUCTION: Why McCanns and Tapas 7 won't participate.
» Find Madeleine site update Day 1827 3 May 2012
» Hose Pipe Bans

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: