HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

user signatures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Butt heads!  lol! lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:
All caps as SHOUTING for example.

MISTER E - THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN PEOPLE ABUSING THE 'CAPS' THING.   Laughing 

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

lol!

Where's my ban hammer....I remember seeing it around here someplace....

lol! 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 pm

MisterE wrote:

lol! 

I'm surprised I didn't get the 'ban hammer' a few years ago.  Kyle, Kaiser, and I were on quite a roll there for a while...   Laughing

Besides - you guys know that with a thread like this, people like me are going to jump in and have fun with it. The temptation is just too great.  Cool 

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Haven't seen those guys around for a while, yo!

Maybe the roar of our latest chicanery will call them back....  Twisted Evil 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:

lol! 

I'm surprised I didn't get the 'ban hammer' a few years ago.  Kyle, Kaiser, and I were on quite a roll there for a while...   Laughing

Besides - you guys know that with a thread like this, people like me are going to jump on the bandwagon and have fun with it.

Rob, I'm sure if you ask nicely it can be arranged   
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Rob, I'm sure if you ask nicely it can be arranged   

Ssssshhhhh - it wouldn't take much.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Butt heads!  lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Yup  Laughing 

Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm

MisterE wrote:

I stay in touch with them and chat with them on occasion, and they'll be back at some point- but each for different reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
MisterE wrote:

I stay in touch with them and chat with them on occasion, and they'll be back at some point- but each for different reasons.

Yuk's poked his head in a couple of times recently !! Shocked Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

monbla256 wrote:
Yuk's poked his head in a couple of times recently !! Shocked Shocked 

Yup - Yak is alive and well, but not sure why he doesn't pop in more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:48 am

I see Kaiser on Facebook all the time, so he seems to be doing OK. I do miss Kyle's shenanigans, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Here's another vote that the side-bar lists and many users' signatures are obnoxious. It'd be great if that info were moved only to a profile or could be turned off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content.  Some users are out of hand.  They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot.  It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post.  Or maybe not allowing images in signatures?  I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way.  Any thoughts?

It's a small matter. Besides I like to read what tobacco the brothers prefer and what pipes they own. The signatures can be thought provoking. JMO the forum isn't broken, no need to fix it.  Smile 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:16 pm

The post above is a perfect case in point. A two-line reply ends up taking up a huge amount of space because of the really long list in the left side panel (no offense intended, AJ). When trying to read a thread quickly, it makes it difficult to find the two important lines between signatures and the masses of blank space.

On the other hand, I do like that you can see the information, but it would be much better in a horizontal format than a vertical list which greatly exacerbates the problem (especially with so many line breaks). Perhaps the ideal would be a way where you could hover your mouse over the word 'pipes' or 'tobaccos' in the left side panel or signature and the list would pop up. Then it would be visible and easily accessible when desired, but wouldn't get in the way when reading through a thread.

As others have stated, this may not be possible or easily implemented by the mods, but I think it is an ideal solution if it weren't too difficult. Again, no hard feelings felt or intended here.
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Some people just don't understand the concept of "If it aint broke don't fix it."
I think some people need to get there priorities straight and quit trying to force
there nonessential ideas on the group. There are much more important things to worry about then the format of one's post and how it looks. It's like saying I don't like the looks of your face because your ears or eye's are spaced too far apart so you can't post a photo of yourself. If you haven't the time to read a post because it takes you too long, come back when you have the time. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm

No one is trying to force anything on anyone else, just voicing an opinion. The face analogy is a bad one, because you can't change your face. You can easily change your signature. We're not saying anything is completely broken, but in need of a tune-up. Some people don't know when a car needs a tune-up, but other will notice when something is a little bit off. If anything, people with overly large signatures are the ones who force others to scroll past irrelevant content when they are looking to participate. No one who have voiced this concern has demanded anything, but made recommendations that would help make the forum more usable. Please don't blatantly mis-characterize and mis-construe our intentions.

Your signature is another illustration of the concerns some of us are expressing. Your signature contains bold and colored font, which draw attention to the signature, away from your post. Furthermore, you have a graphic with large font (much larger than the standard forum font), which also screams for attention. When reading a thread with these sort of signatures interspersed, you must constantly ignore the things which are most likely to draw the eye, which creates a certain amount of mental dissonance. It's a milder form of trying to watch a television program with Richard Simmons dancing around next to the TV set dressed in bright colors. You can certainly ignore him if you wish, but it is distracting, and you might miss some of the program, and have to rewind it (like scrolling around to find the actual content of short posts between the large, flamboyant signatures).

The snarky side of me wants to make a ridiculously obnoxious signature to illustrate the problem by exaggeration. I'm not sure that is a considerate thing to do, but it would make the point. I could also add 500 lines of pipes and tobaccos to my sidebar.

Things that would help those of us who find it mildly irritating to ignore Mr. Simmons dancing around:
-limiting pipes/tobaccos listed space or moving it to the signature, profile page, or somewhere else.
-increasing standard font size of posts, but not signatures
-adding option for individual users to ignore signatures (the platform may not support this)

The snarky side: instead of forcing everyone to read this on every page I've posted in, I'll just put it here in this thread. Imagine having to read that after every one of my posts. It would get old. You signature is not nearly this bad, but it illustrates the point.

Hey everyone, look at my big signature. Have a good look at some blank space:

More unnecessary blank space:

afro elephant Basketball 

Basketball jocolor 

Back to top Go down
Slartibartfast

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm

lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Did you actually read my post, or did you just jump straight to the moving images?
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
No one is trying to force anything on anyone else, just voicing an opinion. The face analogy is a bad one, because you can't change your face. You can easily change your signature. We're not saying anything is completely broken, but in need of a tune-up. Some people don't know when a car needs a tune-up, but other will notice when something is a little bit off. If anything, people with overly large signatures are the ones who force others to scroll past irrelevant content when they are looking to participate. No one who have voiced this concern has demanded anything, but made recommendations that would help make the forum more usable. Please don't blatantly mis-characterize and mis-construe our intentions.

Your signature is another illustration of the concerns some of us are expressing. Your signature contains bold and colored font, which draw attention to the signature, away from your post. Furthermore, you have a graphic with large font (much larger than the standard forum font), which also screams for attention. When reading a thread with these sort of signatures interspersed, you must constantly ignore the things which are most likely to draw the eye, which creates a certain amount of mental dissonance. It's a milder form of trying to watch a television program with Richard Simmons dancing around next to the TV set dressed in bright colors. You can certainly ignore him if you wish, but it is distracting, and you might miss some of the program, and have to rewind it (like scrolling around to find the actual content of short posts between the large, flamboyant signatures).

The snarky side of me wants to make a ridiculously obnoxious signature to illustrate the problem by exaggeration. I'm not sure that is a considerate thing to do, but it would make the point. I could also add 500 lines of pipes and tobaccos to my sidebar.

Things that would help those of us who find it mildly irritating to ignore Mr. Simmons dancing around:
-limiting pipes/tobaccos listed space or moving it to the signature, profile page, or somewhere else.
-increasing standard font size of posts, but not signatures
-adding option for individual users to ignore signatures (the platform may not support this)

The snarky side: instead of forcing everyone to read this on every page I've posted in, I'll just put it here in this thread. Imagine having to read that after every one of my posts. It would get old. You signature is not nearly this bad, but it illustrates the point.

Hey everyone, look at my big signature. Have a good look at some blank space:

More unnecessary blank space:

afro elephant Basketball 

Basketball jocolor 

Cute kitty.  cat 
 Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 pm

You're all making my point.
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Obviously people with a short attention will be drawn to the signatures in which you sqeak but, for some reason they have never bothered me. It's like people complaining of bold type and such, it's never bothered me and never will. Maybe it's because I tend to worry about the bigger things in life. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

I think there are valid points to both sides of this argument and it is nice to see a clean thread with few distractions. At the same rate some form of self expression is always good. As usual, these types of things should be left to the Moderators. After all we are all just guests at their party here.

Let the good times roll.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: user signatures   Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I think there are valid points to both sides of this argument and it is nice to see a clean thread with few distractions. At the same rate some form of self expression is always good. As usual, these types of things should be left to the Moderators. After all we are all just guests at their party here.

Let the good times roll.  Wink 

"After all we are all just guests at their party here"

I think this sums it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:

I think this sums it up.

Yeap, no one ever said this was a democracy - and honestly I like it the way it is. There are myriad other forums out there, some with more elegant interfaces and some with less (though to be fair I'm only guessing, as I like it here and have never felt the need to look elsewhere.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Re: user signatures   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Bluefisher wrote:
pepesdad1 wrote:

I think this sums it up.

Yeap, no one ever said this was a democracy - and honestly I like it the way it is. There are myriad other forums out there, some with more elegant interfaces and some with less (though to be fair I'm only guessing, as I like it here and have never felt the need to look elsewhere.)

That was my point. Don't like it here....carry your *ss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

user signatures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next