HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 am

I've been smoking for a bit over twenty years, and I used to disassemble my pipes frequently for cleaning. A bad experience with a Ferndown last year has made me rethink this practice. After cleaning it thoroughly and leaving it apart overnight to dry, I was barely able to get the stem back in. It is such a tight fit now that I may never take it apart again for fear of breaking off the tenon or cracking the shank. And it's one of my best pipes, so I don't want to risk it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:52 am

fsu92john wrote:
I've been smoking for a bit over twenty years, and I used to disassemble my pipes frequently for cleaning. A bad experience with a Ferndown last year has made me rethink this practice. After cleaning it thoroughly and leaving it apart overnight to dry, I was barely able to get the stem back in. It is such a tight fit now that I may never take it apart again for fear of breaking off the tenon or cracking the shank. And it's one of my best pipes, so I don't want to risk it.

Put the pipe in your freezer for 30 minutes and the stem will come out easily  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

Yeah, He's always been an instigator of tasteless jokes. Suspect 

Are you serious about this issue? I want to be liked by all our members. I can't remember ever posting a "tasteless joke". If however I did so, please help me by pointing out those jokes. I would like to avoid doing so in future.

And please, remember that I'm Afrikaans speaking and English is only my second language. I know I make mistakes but I'm sure everyone here will understand what I'm trying to communicate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
fsu92john wrote:

Put the pipe in your freezer for 30 minutes and the stem will come out easily  Very Happy 

+1

Yup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 am

I've heard the freezer trick before, but I've never tried it. Is it likely to be a permanent fix?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 am

fsu92john wrote:
I've heard the freezer trick before, but I've never tried it. Is it likely to be a permanent fix?

No, it won't be a permanent fix. Once you've got the stem out, you will have to sand down a bit of the tenon. Use very fine sanding paper. Wrap it around the tenon, hold between your fingers and then rotate the stem. Try fitting the stem ever so often without using force. You don't want to take off to much. A tenon should not have a to tight a fit because once you start smoking, the heat will let the components expand.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.   Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:25 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
fsu92john wrote:

No, it won't be a permanent fix. Once you've got the stem out, you will have to sand down a bit of the tenon. Use very fine sanding paper. Wrap it around the tenon, hold between your fingers and then rotate the stem.  Try fitting the stem ever so often without using force.  You don't want to take off to much.  A tenon should not have a to tight a fit because once you start smoking, the heat will let the components expand.

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Question for the Pipe Veterans out There.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2