HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm just curious to get other preferences from the site. Personally, I like a smaller pipe. I prefer either a narrow (.7" - .75") deep (1.4" - 1.5") bowl, or a wide (.75" - .8") shallow (1" - 1.2") bowl when it comes to chamber dimensions. I like lighter pipes, 1.2oz or less, and like them to stay in the 5" - 6" length range.

What are your preferences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 pm

The same as yours. Generally use 5.5 inches as my minimum for a straight pipe, 6.0 max.

Bents, though, are all over the map, dimensionally speaking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:00 pm

Now, it would take a lot for me to buy a pipe that weighs more than 1.5oz. I prefer pipes in the 5" range. I have quite a few that don't fit this criteria, but it is my standard when buying a pipe nowadays.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:02 pm

I tend toward the larger; at least DH 4 and preferably 6 to ODA/B/C sized. I do have smaller pipes, mostly for flakes and Burleys. My 150+ collection has been accrued over 5 decades, so the sizes are really all over the place. Smoke whatever size floats your boat!!! Good friend of mine only smokes larger Meers!! Owns two briars; hardly ever smoke's them!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

For me, a group 5 sized bowl does the trick, in general, but prefer burley based blends in slightly larger bowls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I don't care so much, as long as I can clench it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:32 pm

I don't focus on size as much as I do weight. I have a hard time buying a pipe that weighs over 1.5oz. This is because I clench all the time. You can get a surprising amount of size diversity with just that weight guideline.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
I don't focus on size as much as I do weight. I have a hard time buying a pipe that weighs over 1.5oz. This is because I clench all the time. You can get a surprising amount of size diversity with just that weight guideline.  

Fo sho! I've seen 7 inch Canadians weigh near an ounce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

My pipes are divided between smaller old Comoys and larger Briar Spirit Pipes.  The BSP pipes are larger than the Comoy pipes but they smoke like they were Comoys...maybe better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Both. They each have their place and time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

When I was actively buying pipes, I generally Bought grp4 or grp5 sized pipes as my preferred size. I have maybe 3 or 4 grp 6 or ODA sized briars and all of my Meers are ODA in size. I try to smoke a bowl for no more than an hour or so and this general size range works for me. Weight is not really a problem with these size ranges but overall balance of the pipe when clenched is the important thing for me as I wear full dentures so real long Canadians and Lovats don't balance well for me. So I guess what could be called an average sized pipe is what I prefer.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Generally like pipes that are 5.5" - 6" long and med - large bowls. That is unless they have a 1/2 bend in which case 5" - 5.5" is better. Don't generally use the group grading system, but figure I'm a group 5 kinda guy.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
flyguy

Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I prefer light-weight pipes a little over 5 inches that I can clench easily.  1/4 bent pipes to straight are my favorites but I own a few full bents that I enjoy also.  My favorite tobaccos seem to "sing" for me in groups 2-4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm

Buckshot wrote:
Both.  They each have their place and time.

That ^^^
The size of pipe I choose depends on how long I wanna smoke.
I have cigars in a variety of sizes for that reason.

Generally though, I prefer large bowls and Corona/Petit Corona sized cigars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Buckshot wrote:
Both.  They each have their place and time.

That ^^^
The size of pipe I choose depends on how long I wanna smoke.
I have cigars in a variety of sizes for that reason.

Generally though, I prefer large bowls and Corona/Petit Corona sized cigars.

Gotta agree and a lot depends also on what I'm smoking. Some tobaccos do better in large bowls and some small.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:51 pm

I have a plentiful supply of both, but generally most enjoy 5"- 6" in length ... light, less than 1.5 oz ... bowl approx .7 - .75 x 1.5 ... thick walls, please ... quarter bent or less. Is that group 3 or 4 territory? Since I don't clench much, I think a nice blast helps with grip. But for folded n' stuffed flakes I am fond of the chimney style that lets the blissful pipester nurse a smoldering coal all the way to the bottom. I do appreciate larger pipes whose proportions are cunningly carved to disguise their size. I find larger pipes can be hard to tote around and may not offer a longer smoke than a mid-size pipe. I like the Dublin shape, though, even though several of mine have such wide rims they look funny in my pocket. But they'll be nice for greeting the Spring out in the yard, assuming spring ever gets here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:

The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight. 40-50 grams is my sweet spot. I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often. I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works. For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites. I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size. Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 am

Varitiy is the spice of life and none should be neglected. Smoke em all big or small depends on the mood. 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 am

riff raff wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight.  40-50 grams is my sweet spot.  I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often.  I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works.  For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites.  I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size.  Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)

I'm of a similar mind and my name isn't Jones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:49 am

gravel wrote:
riff raff wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

The Jones' boys think alike - I'm all about the weight.  40-50 grams is my sweet spot.  I used to like large pipes but find they just don't get used as often.  I'm more of a balancer, than a clencher and under 50 grams works.  For Ashtons, 2X are my favorites.  I'd love to add a Castello Rhodesian or Bulldog, but most made these days seem to be 4k, or G, GG in size.  Just too darn big (I sold a G-sized Sea Rock last year)

I'm of a similar mind and my name isn't Jones.

All great minds, of course.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Northern Neil

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz. I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Northern Neil wrote:
I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz.  I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.

It's cause we buy all the small ones.   
Back to top Go down
Northern Neil

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Ocelot, that is a truely good point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 am

Northern Neil wrote:
I'm surprised to see so many people who perfer small pipes over the larger ones, fully understanding that most people will have pipes that fall into both categories. Nonetheless, when I am looking at new pipes, I find the majority to fall under the large category (2" deep bowls weighing over 1.5oz.  I cannot help but wonder why the majority of pipes seem to be so large. I will say no to 10 pipes before I find one that meets 'my small' criteria.

I too find many a pipe I like that are large, but I never buy them. These days I don't buy hardly anything, so it has to fit my criteria for me to even think about it, that is unless I absolutely fall in love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?   Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:27 am

For me it's relative to the tobacco type, strength. A large bowl for a mild medium Va and a small bowl for OJK mixed with brown rope, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Which Do You Prefer, Big or Small Pipes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next