HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Felt something weird today...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:16 pm

... yup, I felt the warmth of the sun for the first time in 5 months  sunny .  Yup, wall to wall sunshine.  It was all due to a strange phenomena called a high pressure (!!!); with all the shabby weather we've been getting I've forgotten what it's like to be dominated by anything over 990mb.  Its affect was truly magical... there were kids outside playing and laughing, the hum of lawn mowers (mine included), and folk taking the time to talk to each other instead of hunkering down against the elements in a bid to get home ASAP. It was like an awakening.  After such a long winter it felt truly joyous.  In the words of the great George Harrison, 'Here comes the sun, do do do do...!  I will of course be celebrating with a bowlful of something appropriate and contemplate the summer's adventures...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:28 pm

We are slowly starting to warm up. 63F for tomorrow, but snow Tuesday night and Wednesday. Still, the sun is welcome. Radio conditions have been pretty good also. We are moving towards the equinox and that enhances conditions worldwide for ham radio ops.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:02 pm

It'll be a while before we see any lawn mowers here, but I know that feeling.
That first bit of warmth with its false promises before spring. Everyone packs away their boots and shovels, thinking they won't need them again until fall. Then, just as the patio furniture is being dusted off, the next snowstorm hits. I always swear I won't be fooled, but as soon as the temperature rises above freezing I start making outdoor plans. In my case, the moment I spot open water in the harbor, I'm yearning to take my kayak out among the ice floes. If you don't hear from me next week, it means I've been blown out to the middle of Lake Superior on the teeth of a blizzardly westwind.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Stick wrote:
... yup, I felt the warmth of the sun for the first time in 5 months  sunny .  Yup, wall to wall sunshine.  It was all due to a strange phenomena called a high pressure (!!!); with all the shabby weather we've been getting I've forgotten what it's like to be dominated by anything over 990mb.  Its affect was truly magical... there were kids outside playing and laughing, the hum of lawn mowers (mine included), and folk taking the time to talk to each other instead of hunkering down against the elements in a bid to get home ASAP.  It was like an awakening.  After such a long winter it felt truly joyous.  In the words of the great George Harrison, 'Here comes the sun, do do do do...!  I will of course be celebrating with a bowlful of something appropriate and contemplate the summer's adventures...

Jolly good mate. Splendid, that. Must've been a relief after all the nasty weather you chaps have had.

You're in Devon aren't you? And isn't that more or less where there was epic flooding? I've seen pics and videos posted by others and it looked dire, to say the least!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I felt the warmth of the sun today for the first time in months also, no lawnmowers running here though, I was sitting on top of 18 inches of ice, fishing. It did feel good to feel the temps in the mid 30's and the bright sun made it a perfect day. Spring is close but the forecast says 4'' of snow possible in a few days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregandrews

Registration date : 2013-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Heard the hum of my chainsaw and wood splitter as I worked on a triaxle load of wood yesterday.  It was near 50!! Today was sunny and about 35, what a heat wave!!! Like Flytyer mentioned more snow coming this week for NEPA..Still enjoyed the day with a bowl of Boswells Sweet Tea in preparation of Summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Stick wrote:
... yup, I felt the warmth of the sun for the first time in 5 months  sunny .  Yup, wall to wall sunshine.  It was all due to a strange phenomena called a high pressure (!!!); with all the shabby weather we've been getting I've forgotten what it's like to be dominated by anything over 990mb.  Its affect was truly magical... there were kids outside playing and laughing, the hum of lawn mowers (mine included), and folk taking the time to talk to each other instead of hunkering down against the elements in a bid to get home ASAP.  It was like an awakening.  After such a long winter it felt truly joyous.  In the words of the great George Harrison, 'Here comes the sun, do do do do...!  I will of course be celebrating with a bowlful of something appropriate and contemplate the summer's adventures...

Consider yourself lucky to live where you do. We are having our "Spring" this month and it should be over by mid April when we will start hitting the 90's and by May we'll probably be hitting the 100's and by June 100+ till mid October. So far this year we are 12" below normal rain wise and should be into our third year of a major drought! if this winter was bad for ya, move to Texas and we'll warm ya up !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:37 pm

What is this "sunshine" you speak of? I have heard many tales of this mythological element. I remember a time long, long ago when it's presence was seen daily and it's golden rays were even taken for granted. I fear that the knowledge of this golden liquid is lost to us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am

'Twas 36F, damp, cold , and rainy Saturday in OKC. Today it'll be 76-79F with lots of sun!!!! Very Happy Tomorrow 81F, then back to the late winter doldrums of 45-50F with clouds/no sun!!!! Mother Nature is playin' lots of games with us this year!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:39 am

ftrplt wrote:
'Twas 36F, damp, cold , and rainy Saturday in OKC. Today it'll be 76-79F with lots of sun!!!! Very Happy Tomorrow 81F, then back to the late winter doldrums of 45-50F with clouds/no sun!!!! Mother Nature is playin' lots of games with us this year!!!! FTRPLT

Mom's always picking on us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Felt something weird today...   Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:01 pm

76 and sunny here , make you want call in to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com

Felt something weird today...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1