HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bent vs Straight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 am

Oh! You want a trumpet, why didn't you say so?   

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
feel free to go Freudian on my last post, this guy would:

Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe, Jefe.
A big, thick, throbbing pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Out of 90+ pipes I have only 3 FULL BENT ( I count 1/8th bents as straight pipes) and that's "how I roll"  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

When I started smoking pipes (almost 50 years ago!) I preferred bent pipes. Nowadays I much prefer straight or slightly bent pipes. I've sold off most of the bents; still have a few which I reserve for "house" pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Dang, Ron......you sure do have some interesting pipes in your collection. Never seen any with stems like those!

Have you ever smoked them?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Are you kidding BD, I'd have to clean them then. 5) 
It's a pain as it is with a real bent pipe sometimes imagine trying to get these cleaned.
Besides those are just collector items to me, just for show.
I like the unusual and have somewhere around 70 or more. Yes, I have a problem,
I've never been able to decide what kind or brand of pipe to collect so I collect them all, weird, calabash's, Cavaliers, figural's (people & animals) a few meers, freehands, Silver clad's, a few antiques, Don Carlos, Mastro De Paja, etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
CipsterX

Registration date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm

I like them both however my bents do clench better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Probably 3/4 of my pipes have some degree of bend, but I like them all.  Similar to jefe's observation a while back on this thread, I like the bents, especially half-bent or more to smoke at home as they feel and hang so well.  But when I'm traveling or out in "public" I mostly smoke straights, as I perceive they make me look so damn cool! Rolling Eyes  

But, to put my grasp of reality into a broader context, I'm still convinced that I will go in the first round of the next NBA draft as a power forward, am amazed that every woman on earth doesn't want to have my baby, and can't believe that my student's don't think I'm the most brilliant, entertaining, captivating teacher on Earth.

Go figure, hey?

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Natch, that is fantastic!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
i smoke both and clench both. I like the "dangle" of a bent,

Trust Albert to turn the rules on their side, "straight pipe or not I'm going to smoke it as a bent because I want to", got to love that guy.  sunny 

Personally I now prefer straight pipes, if you retract the lower jaw slightly the clench becomes vastly more comfortable, I do find postulating more convenient whilst 'supporting' a straight pipe, I don't know. some how it just 'feels' more humble somehow to me and thereby fits my own sense of self better, but on occasion I do rather enjoy the nostalgia of a bent stem pipe and for the longest time I preferred bent pipes, go figure huh!  sunny 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Oddly enough, even though I own mostly some form of bent and just prefer them for a variety of reasons, some of my latest estates and one artisan have been straight stems.

I've been smoking these a bit more lately and find them really nice. The clench factor isn't as comfortable, but there again I need to try and reduce the clenching so as to avoid the resultant bite marks.

This is an ongoing endeavour.

Exclamation 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:14 am

I don't mind, straight or bent, all the same to me. Out of my 50 briars, 64% are straight, 36% bent, but that's pure coincedence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canicus61

Registration date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm

I have both, though when I counted I have more straights than bents...surprisingly tough question, and I usually favor a pipe based on shape/finish, but do find bents more comfortable and traditional/old-fashioned looking...straights have attitude and seem 'dressier'.......that said, I tend not to think about it when selecting either what to buy or what to smoke - whatever strikes my fancy I guess....and I like pointing with a straight pipe......its a great companion to conversation and better yet for argument!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 am

I may have slightly more bents but I use my straights a bit more regularly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:42 am

In ye olde days (1970s & 80s), when I smoked only Captain Black and similar blends, I got too much gunk flowing back in straight pipes and gave up on them. These days, that wouldn't be a problem, but only four of my current pipes are totally straight (and two of those are clays). While I have a few that are 1/2 to full bends, I seem to favor those with a slight bend at the end (like the curved falcons) to a 1/4 bend. They seem to fit my totally clenched style best
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah, I don't own a straight.  I like tons of shapes, even those I don't own, but of my collection I like the slightly bent (Yak Rhodesian),  to the moderately bent (Pete 90S), to the full bent (Boswell rusticated nosewarmer) in that order.  It's just flat out tougher to keep a deep bend clean during a smoke than it is a slight bend.

As to the why...well, I do clench a good deal.  But I can't really do other things while I'm smoking...I start to drool and set it down, so I hold a decent bit, too.  Part of the appeal is the aspect of a bend being what I think a pipe is supposed to look like.  Can't say why, I assume it's something to do with media processing and timeline and whatnot, but a pipe is supposed to bend, in my mind.

I see lots of beautiful straights...maybe one day I'll throw a couple of bones at an estate or a cob and take it for a whirl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm

This question caused me to think about my own collection.  I've sold off a good part of it over the past few years, including most of the deeply bent pipes I once favored; I currently own 44 briars, a couple of meers, a few clays, four calabashes and a solitary cherrywood.  Earlier in the thread I said I preferrred straights, and I would have guessed that most of my pipes were straight.  I took a look at the briars today and here's what I found:

7 bents
19 slightly bent (1/8 or so)
18 straight

I knew a few bents remained, but I was surprised so many were slight bents.  Just goes to show ya: wherever you go, there you are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PlateauGuy

Registration date : 2013-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

The majority of my pipes are 1/4 bent Petersons, Savinellis and MM cobs. I do have 3 straight Kaywoodies which I cherish because they're from the 1930's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Lowry

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Bents are where it's at for me, though I can live with a slight downward arc such as on a Prince. I think it's mostly because I don't want my hand right in front of my face when I smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickydcrose

Registration date : 2014-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Most of my collection is straight.  I like a longer length to my pipes and it's hard to find a bent stem pipe at the length I prefer.  But, they are all good and I like just looking at them occasionally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Danish Guy

Registration date : 2014-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am

Bents - i always had nothing but bents but for some reason and also due to the specific pipe and artist - I have a couple of straight on pipes. a couple of partial bents. But I gravitate to and love those bents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 am

I only have one straight pipe. The other four are bent in one way shape of form.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:20 am

J_Rock wrote:
I only have one straight pipe.  The other four are bent in one way shape of form.  

Long time no see brother. Glad to hear from you.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:26 am

mark wrote:
J_Rock wrote:
I only have one straight pipe.  The other four are bent in one way shape of form.  

Long time no see brother. Glad to hear from you.

I am glad to be back. I was just getting ready to look you up! I have been so busy with sports, coaching, and work. I need to take more time for myself and this is a good start!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricTKT

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bent vs Straight   Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 am

I'd say I have an affinity for bents more so than straights. Bents seem to clench better for me; however, I have several straights that smoke remarkably well too. I suppose it depends on the mood I'm in, and as a sculptural artist, I like pipes that are aesthetically pleasing to me, and I smoke the pipe I think looks best to me at the moment before I decide to pack another bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bent vs Straight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next