HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

307 Fishtail replacement stem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Heya folks, I was wondering if any of you know where I can get a replacement stem for a Pete 307, I really would prefer a Fishtail over the standard P-Lip stem.

The only 2 sites I could find in the UK that have stocked them in the past do not stock them any longer, the stem is for a Pete Jimbo gifted to me a while back, the original stem is really narrow and I find it quite uncomfortable but I absolutely adore the pipe, scoring a Fishtail stem for it would make it possible for me to use it more often, I have great attachment to the pipe because of it being from Jim so would really love to find a replacement stem for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Could try them directly - shop@peterson.ie I'd think they would sell you one.

KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm

There's a woman at Peterson's in Sallynoggin who has handled pipe repair for me in the past. Angela Fortune is her name. If you visit the Pete site and e-mail repairs or customer service you'll reach her. I was once having a stem problem with a B60 and was reluctant to mail the pipe. So I asked for a replacement stem. She sent two, but neither fit satisfactorily. So I ended up sending her the pipe (and replacement stems) as I should have done in the first place. She had a new stem fitted, tossed in bunches of Pete cleaners to make up for postage, and the whole matter was taken care of in a couple weeks as I recall. I'm guessing that the same model of Pete, carved in different years, takes slightly different stems. Just a guess. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm

KevinM wrote:
Angela Fortune is her name. Good luck.

She's an angel, been there for ages and knows everything about everything Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 am

Should have thought of that myself, thanks folks, I've emailed them directly, be interesting to see what they say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:05 am

Peterson's got back to me, they wanted 25 for the stem, 10 for shipping plus I would have to send the pipe to them, would have ended up costing me around 37 ($61.50), a bit out of my reach at the moment for just a stem so I opted to make one myself instead. I will post a piccie when I get a battery charger for the camera.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Peterson's got back to me, they wanted 25 for the stem, 10 for shipping plus I would have to send the pipe to them, would have ended up costing me around 37 ($61.50), a bit out of my reach at the moment for just a stem so I opted to make one myself instead. I will post a piccie when I get a battery charger for the camera.

Why are they quoting in ? I had the same a while back

And I agree, for that kind of money you can buy a new pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Woo. That is kinda steep. My repair covered a matter under warranty. FYI -- I found Ms. Fortune's correspondence and she said, re: Pete mouthpieces -- "Peterson pipe mouthpieces are not standard size and must be hand-fitted, so it would be better to return your pipe to the factory." So although the quote is high, the work would be under warranty, and a nice thing about pipes is that they last a loooong while. This is one of those things where you get to choose between not so good vs. not so bad. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:58 pm

I too have a Pete that never gets smoked due to the P-Lip stem. I should look into getting a fish tale for it, maybe it'll actually get smoked that way. Might see if I can get one made for a little less than $60 USD, as that is a little rich for my blood, considering the pipe was only $100 to start with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 pm

The cost of pipe repair is an interesting dilemma, taking in all sorts of philosophical and ecomic stumpers. If a pipe was originally mid-range at best, but you like it, and it's nicely broken in, how much would you pay to fix it, considering a new one might be found for, say, $100, but with no guarantees of future compatability? Then there's the matter of marginal cost: If you think $20 is reasonable for a new stem and Sallynoggin wants $60.00, the Sallynoggin marginal price is actually $40, since you'd already expected to drop $20. Is a repaired pipe that will last for the next few decades worth the diff? If you've read this far with the expectation I have answers to this stuff I can only say I'm sorry to disappoint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:35 pm

KevinM wrote:
The cost of pipe repair is an interesting dilemma, taking in all sorts of philosophical and ecomic stumpers. If a pipe was originally mid-range at best, but you like it, and it's nicely broken in, how much would you pay to fix it, considering a new one might be found for, say, $100, but with no guarantees of future compatability? Then there's the matter of marginal cost: If you think $20 is reasonable for a new stem and Sallynoggin wants $60.00, the Sallynoggin marginal price is actually $40, since you'd already expected to drop $20. Is a repaired pipe that will last for the next few decades worth the diff? If you've read this far with the expectation I have answers to this stuff I can only say I'm sorry to disappoint.

Excellent point, not going to get any argument from me there Buddy, the amount required was simply out of my budget for just a stem so I made my own, of a fashion at least, works well enough and looks okay, the best part is it saved me a few coffers. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:

Heya Pete, the official currency in Ireland is the Euro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

Heya Pete, the official currency in Ireland is the Euro.

Didn't know that Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Northern Neil wrote:
I too have a Pete that never gets smoked due to the P-Lip stem. I should look into getting a fish tale for it, maybe it'll actually get smoked that way. Might see if I can get one made for a little less than $60 USD, as that is a little rich for my blood, considering the pipe was only $100 to start with.

I hope you find one Buddy, having a better stem on the 307 has made a whole World of difference to how the pipe smokes, it's a real Champion now and I'm loving it. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Ooops! I just noticed the "out of stock" indication. But maybe they will be getting more in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CipsterX

Registration date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

http://youtu.be/Z7jdKLyZBZ8 Great video to watch on what happens to this fella!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Buckshot wrote:
Ooops! I just noticed the "out of stock" indication. But maybe they will be getting more in.

I saw a few days back that Rich stocks the Lge Fishtail stems but as you state, they're out of stock, I'll make do with the one I have made personally but thanks for your time in finding that resource, much appreciated. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

CipsterX wrote:

Paul is a great bloke, sorry to see he had so much trouble with his pipe but very pleased with the final outcome for him. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Looking forward to your pics of the hand made replacement stem Kirk.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
CipsterX

Registration date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Yeah I sure was not trying to put a negative spin on Peterson Customer service posting that video. I love my Peterson pipes and the end result for him was outstanding!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 am

Brewdude wrote:
Looking forward to your pics of the hand made replacement stem Kirk.

Cheers,

RR

I'll definitely post a photo or two as soon as I get the battery charger. sunny

CipsterX wrote:
Yeah I sure was not trying to put a negative spin on Peterson Customer service posting that video. I love my Peterson pipes and the end result for him was outstanding!

No need to feel awkward Buddy, we all know about getting a bad Customer Relations Officer handling our complaints and most of us have sadly experienced it at least once, always good to see when the folk higher up the ladder put things right in the end, shame things have to go that far before it gets put right though, Paul was right not to give up and I commend him for his dogged determination. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:00 am

Here's the photo of the new stem in place, aint perfect by any means but it works and I am now able to savour this wonderful Pete', I love Peterson pipes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 am

CipsterX wrote:

I don't know whether the guy noticed but the replacement pipe is a cheaper one than the one he bought. It's got a ordinary metal band instead of silver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 307 Fishtail replacement stem   Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
Here's the photo of the new stem in place, aint perfect by any means but it works and I am now able to savour this wonderful Pete', I love Peterson pipes.

That replacement stem sure looks good to me Kirk. Well done!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online

307 Fishtail replacement stem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next