HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05 pm

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Here's the thing...I'm bored. I need a new gig to keep the juices flowing. It's Spring, right? It's TIME for it.

So here's what I'm thinking...PIRATE'S BOOTY! You share your booty (ahem) and then we'll divy it up with the crew...you included.

Here's how it might work:

1. You pick ten (or whatever we agree on) items from your Pirate Stash of rare and wonderful pipe stuff and send 'em to me in a USPS medium flat rate box with a check or MO to cover return postage, and an address label for it to come back to you.
2. The ten items should include one pipe, five units of tobacco (a unit = one tin or 2 oz. bulk) and four items of your own choosing. Who sent in what will be kept strictly confidential.
3. Once all players have submitted their booty, photos will be taken and posted here. Then an orderly (well, somewhat orderly) distribution will begin, orchestrated by yours truly.
4. Names will be randomly assigned an order and you and your fellow Pirates will pick items in that order. All items will be available for choosing during each round. Once chosen, the item will go into that person's box, safe from the lust of other Pirates.
5. The "Choosing of Booty" will occur in a series of ten rounds, the picking order reassigned according to random draw, renewed with each round...so everyone has an equal chance of being number one or two, etc. each time.
6. Once booty choosing is done the boxes will be padded, sealed, labeled and sent on off to their owners.

At this point this is just a potential concept. I'm open as to suggestions from any and all to make it more fun and interesting. Will you suggestion be adopted? Maybe. Will this thing actually happen? Maybe.

My first question is...how many participants do you think are needed to make it the most fun while keeping it manageable? Other than that...would you want to sign up if it IS done?

Arrrrrr ya ready to be a Pirate???

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Ten items! affraid This is for the wealthy right?  lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm

Hey, don't be aiming that squirrel gun at me! lol

My response could go in any of three or four directions:

1. It sounds like you think it would be better if fewer items were involved. What? No pipe? Less tobacco? Fewer 'other' items?

2. Yes...this is only for rich people.

3. Ten items = rich? Whew! Even my Cousin in Dogpatch has THAT much stuff!

4. Not EVERY activity has to be designed so that every kid in class can take part. This is Graduate Skool...not Kindergarten.

5. Scratch this one, I said three or four.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordTemplar

Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes Ron,

It is definitely for the rich folk. A pipe!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Really!?! You don't have a pipe?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Well, I'll take it as number 2.
Pipes I got more then ten of that's no secret I don't think and 5 tins or ounces of tobacco I surely do but, if you figure $10 a tin times 5 and one pipe at let say $65 or more is a bit much for a lot of us. I don't mind not being able to join the swap, I just had to poke you in ribs a little is all. Monday dull drums shall we say.

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LordTemplar

Registration date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 pm

I do have pipes, but none that I would part with because I have very few. I am poor!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:01 pm

OK gents (and never having crossed LT's path before...pleased to make your acquaintance) so I get your gist here. If there were no pipe and less tobacco involved more folks could join in. Point noted.

Anyone else?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:19 pm

I would be in.

What about a pipe OR 5 tins of tobacco OR $50 worth of other stuff or set a minimum value on the box as a whole and it doesn't matter what is in it (24oz of Esoterica would be about $100, or one decent Savinelli/Stanwell/etc.)

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm

PS - cause you do the picking in rounds...and if one guy's box had one $50 item and others had five $10 items...pretty soon there would be too few items for each person to have something to pick.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
PS - cause you do the picking in rounds...and if one guy's box had one $50 item and others had five $10 items...pretty soon there would be too few items for each person to have something to pick.

Oh I see...I misunderstood that part...nevermind me, carry on. :-P
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:32 pm

I would be in. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Sounds like fun.

If I understand right the boxes include:
- a pipe
- 5 tins (50g or 2oz)
- 4 tems (pipes sock, bundle of cleaners, tampers, empty lighters, bulks, etc)

Would the 5 items be limited to pipe stuffs as you imagine it BH?

I imagine it could include coffee, handcrafted items, a grain fermentation sample, etc...)

(PS: I am not rich, but I have a cellar and a pipe collection. If you have just started in this hobby, it ain't going to work for you unless you make it work.)

Last edited by gravel on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Coastie3202

Registration date : 2014-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:09 pm

How about:

a pipe
5 tins
5 items
1 6-pack or poney keg of microbrew

I like that.

Laughing 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

The original message said 1 pipe, five tin equivalents and four other items...total of ten draws. The keg could be one of the extra items I guess, but it would need to fit in the medium flat rate box. lol Maybe a little keg?

The only thing I gotta check out is drawing the names randomly prior to each round. Drawing the name for a random order is kind of in the likeness of a 'raffle'...and raffles are disallowed on this site. I'll check with my fellow wizards and get back with a judgement.

Sounds like a few takers thus far. I'm thinking ten max to keep the whole thing workable. But we'll see.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 pm

I think this sounds like fun, and I'd definitely be able to take part. Nothing much else to add, since the broad strokes seem fair and feasible. If this plan gets out of dry dock I'll be savoring it to the last morsel...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Well, I got a reply that opined the design of this thing would be OK. So, unless I hear otherwise I'll call it cool.

I'll start a list of ten or maybe a few more and we can go from there. If I missed your comment intending to join the fun, just remind me. Since names will me public I won't go the PM route for signing up.

So far there's:

1. Blackhorse
2. Gravel
3. GrampaGrossbart
4. Spud15
5. PozzSka
6. Fatman
7. Growley
8. d4klutz

Final rules will be posted in a new thread along with the name list and a target date. I'm thinking of having your boxes to me at the end of the month, so there should be plenty of time on your end to get it together.

I'll post a link to the new thread here too & once posted that thread will be the official site.

And folks...READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY!!!

Last edited by Blackhorse on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Count me in, sounds like my kind of thing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 pm

This DOES sound like your kinda thing, John.

And jus' you wait til we get into the pickin' n grinin' part! Man...there's gonna be some big time whoopin' and shoutin' and finger pointin' - it's gonna be glorious. GLORIOUS!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 pm

Here's how I understand it: (without being too nit picky about prices of everything) you're basically getting back what you're giving out...but you're getting different stuff. I know someone might give out a decent pipe and get back a basket pipe, or give out some stonehaven and get back some drug store cherry. But I think most here would play nice, and all in all it would turn out pretty even.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm in as is. I like the idea.

Bring on the BOOTY...Arrrr  P ) 

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:35 pm

G Man...it really is pretty simple isn't it. I assume that there will be a span of tobacco blends. Enough so that everyone will be able to pick items they feel good about. The pipes are a more difficult arena within which to ensure uniformly good picks...but given that I'm assuming pre-owned will be mostly what arrives here on Tortooga, I agree that guys will step up to a higher level than a twenty buck basket pipe. And even though the submitted items are blind...this is NOT an activity where participants should be wanting to sign up so they can submit junk in order to walk away with gold. But knowing this gang, there will be ringers! lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 am

Im in, if there is still a spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:02 am

There is, you are, and we're pleased to have you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!   Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 am

The main thread is now up and active...

All future posts there, please.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/modcp?mode=split&t=27112&tid=19550fdf570fce53fae44494b8bfc296

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag! And she be GOLD, Matey!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1