HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

House got robbed today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:46 pm

My wife called me after lunch to tell me when she got home from yoga, our house had been broken into. They took her jewelry, lots of it heirlooms and gifts, mostly of sentimental value, but still worth something and irreplaceable. No 

They left all our other stuff alone apparently, but now I'm concerned with what to do to prevent them from coming back. Obviously I care about my pipes, but I have other big ticket items in the house that I would not be happy to find missing. Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Holy Crap!!

Looks like it might be time to call ADT or some other security company.That kind of behavior from folks really pisses me off. I hope you guys will be alright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

That sucks! I hate thieves!
Somebody, (I think it was here) reported
that the scumbags who broke into his house
stopped up the drains and ran all the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Damn that sucks. I hate thieves.

Evil or Very Mad 

Hope you can get some compensation for this. And that the perps are apprehended.

Get you some home protection, like the ADT or the like. And arm yourselves if you haven't already.

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
smg913

Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:04 pm

I am sorry to hear this. I hope

and hermit I think that was the movie home alone.

just kidding even thought there is nothing funny about the situation. i dont live in a bad neighborhood at all but i got a dog for two reasons one being i love dogs and two i know that any one will think twice about a B&E when they hear him barking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:16 pm

get yourself a dog.. doesn't need to be a big dog just a barker.  get good deadbolt locks and use them. lights outside when dark.. if you have blind spots the motion detection lights from home depot, etc.. work great. next step up would be some video of the doors and driveway while your house is unattended.

how did they get in? door or window or ?

funny they knew when your wife would be out of the house for yoga. who knows her schedule?

forget the arming yourself... shooting someone for robbery unless they are armed and directly threatened you will only cause you problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 pm

man, this stinks! Hopefully the police help. Also doesn't hurt to check local pawn shops for your items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
get yourself a dog.. doesn't need to be a big dog just a barker.  get good deadbolt locks and use them. lights outside when dark.. if you have blind spots the motion detection lights from home depot, etc.. work great. next step up would be some video of the doors and driveway while your house is unattended.

funny they knew when your wife would be out of the house for yoga. who knows her schedule?

forget the arming yourself... shooting someone for robbery unless they are armed and directly threatened you will only cause you problems.

That depends on where you live.  Prolly good advice since he's in California.
Here, it's open season if they're in yer house.  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 pm

That does suck, I'd be out for blood. This happened to me and I found out it was a fricken neighbor.
Time to get a large safe to put your valuables in. It sounds like someone knew what you had that was worth money cause usually they'll take high end electronics and anything they can pawn also. Trust NO ONE sir.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Man! Sorry to hear that happened. I would go ballistic if that happened here (not that I have too much to steal). But, still I know it isnt any fun, and the feeling of being violated will stick with you for a long while. Hope the cops find the perp(s)

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear about this brother! Hope things return to some semblance of normal for you soon.

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 am

We all are thankful that no good people were hurt. The intrusion is hurtful enough. Be safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:16 am

Bullwinkle wrote:

Dead men tell no tales. If you shoot, Kill. Another good story from a good friend: he was fishing in a stream, and a game warden came along: asked to see his fishing license. Friend says: its in my wallet in the tackle box on the shore. Next to my loaded 9mm behind my concealed weapon permit. GW checks all out ok, asks why friend carries a loaded glock. My buddy says "I might have to shoot someone." GW says "Best answer I ever heard for that one." and is on his way.

Not saying arm yourself as a reaction, but if you choose to shoot, shoot to kill. No class ever teaches shoot to maim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 am

Really sorry this has happened Buddy, been there myself 4 times back when I lived in London, a home security system would be best, the thieves now know what is in your home and will most likely be looking for buyers of what they saw, don't hang about, get a security system installed as soon as possible.

All the very best to you and your family.  I love you 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 am

I am just really sorry for you. That has to be very unsettling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 am

jefe1037 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Dead men tell no tales. If you shoot, Kill. Another good story from a good friend: he was fishing in a stream, and a game warden came along: asked to see his fishing license. Friend says: its in my wallet in the tackle box on the shore. Next to my loaded 9mm behind my concealed weapon permit. GW checks all out ok, asks why friend carries a loaded glock. My buddy says "I might have to shoot someone." GW says "Best answer I ever heard for that one." and is on his way.

Not saying arm yourself as a reaction, but if you choose to shoot, shoot to kill. No class ever teaches shoot to maim.

no one said otherwise IF you decide to shoot.. I love these 'manly' shooting suggestions. have you guys every actually shot someone close up? prevention is his best option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:02 am

jefe1037 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

That, and Dead men tell no tales.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:48 am

It saddens me to read this sort of news. Hope it all works out for you brother. Apart from the obvious alarm systems you could add other deterents. Not sure what your property is like but thorny bushes and spikey fencing placed at strategic points, along with security lights can often deter opportunists. As for the shooting business...  affraid  . As you know we have different gun laws in Blighty. But I would offer rather than killing someone (always a little terminal), perhaps applying the rule of minimum force. Someone who gets really scared can spread the word, someone who's expired can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:37 am

Dude, that blows! Evil or Very Mad 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:51 am

Bullwinkle wrote:
get yourself a dog.. doesn't need to be a big dog just a barker.

+1

Our dogs are very protective. I claim thieves will look for an easier target.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 am

There is a fair chance they'll hit again. It would be cool if you could capture them and torture them for a few days. When they expire, skin 'em out and tan their hides. You could make tobacco pouches or resole your Gucci loafers. I doubt if many would actually do this, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. My mind, anyhow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:21 am

Bummer man...Sorry to hear that...

We had an old house of ours broken into years ago but they only wanted the copper plumbing...so, thankfully, nothing a personal sentimental value was taken.

Sorry to hear about that, though, let us know if there is anything we can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:49 am

That really sucks. I know it's hard--my parents were just broken into and lost some sentimental jewelry and a little bit of cash. All this happened right after my mom's first chemo treatment, so the timing couldn't have been worse.
What a horrid example of the selfishness that we all exhibit in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

Josh,

Sorry to hear this man.

This past year, we had a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. Unfortunately the perps weren't a bunch of reckless kids bored out of their minds, but a rather organized group of gang members and their young initiates looking for tools, keys to vehicles and electronics.

Here's a bit of what I learned after all we went through -

Make your place less of a target by bolstering up the easy entry points. Put wooden dowels in the windows, and glass sliders if you have them.

Get to know your neighbors. That way you're looking out for one another. Let them know when you're out of town, etc.  Eventually you can give them a key to your house, so you don't have to hide one under that rock that looks so out of place among the others.

Install security screens over your doors. They're a couple hundred a pop, easy to install, and you can keep your front and back solid doors open in the spring and summer and still have security

A dog is good, especially if your neighbor's don't have one. One good protective dog barking from behind a gate, regardless of its size, is enough to keep thieves away from your place and your neighbor's. Also they're more fun and loving than ADT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: House got robbed today   Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm

We had the same car broken into twice. The first time they got a GPS which had been left on the dash - I know - It should not have been left there, but sometimes you have your hands full and you are distracted.

We got the window fixed, etc. Six months or so later, it happens again - same Buick Park Avenue, same window. My wife is also an Episcopal priest and she had left a briefcase on the back seat. They opened that that and rifled the contents. There was nothing much there but an old school dead tree planner, some ballpoint pens a cheap calculator, AND a set of copies of St. Augustine's Examinination of Conscience . She was conducting a workshop on preparing a sacramental confession and had the copies to hand out.

The second time, we thought nothing was stolen. My wife discovered later one copy of the Examinination of Conscience had been taken. She was one short at the workshop and had made exactly the number she would need.

Now... We have not had another car broken into. Maybe the thief made use of the workshop materials and turned from his wicked ways? Who knows?
Back to top Go down

House got robbed today
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next