HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puff the magic dragon

Registration date : 2014-03-31

PostSubject: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:46 pm

My pick is Citizen Kane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:19 pm

One would have to define "best." I know what you're getting at, sort of, as I was just thinking about this the other day. Strange.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puff the magic dragon

Registration date : 2014-03-31

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
One would have to define "best."  I know what you're getting at, sort of, as I was just thinking about this the other day.  Strange.
So what would you pick Question 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:35 pm

"Swamp Thing." It had Adrienne Barbeau.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Shawshank Redemption!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:42 pm

"The Longest Day" 1962.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Forrest Gump.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 pm

There are so many it's hard to pick just one but, one that stands out in my mind
right now is "The Green Mile"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Seriously, my favorite is Casablanca, as far as story goes.  For scope, star power, success, and just all-around "bigness," I would pick Gone with the Wind.  The Searchers is awesome, and so thinks none other than Steven Spielberg.  I can't think of any made after, say, the '60s that I give a damn about.  Not a fan of noise, explosions, car chases, and CGI out the wazoo.

But it's irrelevant what one's favorites are.  The question is what is meant by "best?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:30 pm

I know what you're getting at Richard. I'm just gonna go with what I like. The original Sabrina with Bogie, Bill Holden and of course Audrey Hepburn.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 am

huffelpuff wrote:
I know what you're getting at Richard. I'm just gonna go with what I like. The original Sabrina with Bogie, Bill Holden and of course Audrey Hepburn.

Jim

Aye, that's a good one, far better than the remake.  OK, so how about In the Heat of the Night, or Ninotchka, or Once Upon a Time in the West?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Smokey-smokey

Registration date : 2014-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:57 pm

How come no one said Star Wars? Are there no nerds here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:56 pm

You beat me to it Smokey; Star Wars. Or, of course, The Great Escape - several big screen legends all in one place telling an epic story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Doctor Zhivago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Cool Hand Luke
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Doh......these are all great movies guys!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
"Swamp Thing."  It had Adrienne Barbeau.

A worthy choice. Not only did it have Adrienne Barbeau in it, it had her skinny dipping, chained to a wall in a dungeon and dressed in wet lingerie. Woot!

Nevertheless, the question had to do with movies, not scenes in movies. Perhaps indulging my contrarian tendencies, I would also disallow anything famed for special effects. These are better described as "Entertainments" or opportunities to sell collateral pre-lawn sale merchandise, I would contend.

So for movies I'd cast my vote for either Gangs of New York or Godfather I.

All of the above is contingent on Amy Adams movies being made in the 21st century, if I am not mistaken..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:35 pm

docwatson wrote:
Cool Hand Luke

Oh god that's a good one.

I think for me it's Breakfast at Tiffany's. Audrey was a real class act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 am

From Dusk till Dawn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

After revisiting this thread and thinking a bit more, MY favorite of all time would have to be
"The Man that shot Liberty Valance".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:02 pm

It also depends on genre: westerns, action, comedy, etc.

It is hard to chose just one movie as many different ones have been game-changers. In that respect, I would have list the following

"original Star Wars trilogy" were probably the most important movies of the 20th Century.
"Enter the Dragon" Bruce Lee and "Karate Kid" were 2 pivotal movies in the Martial Arts/ action genre.
"Die Hard Trilogy" -- game changer for Action

I could list more, but my brain hurts now. lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:33 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
From Dusk till Dawn

Laughing my ass off, my boyfriend made me watch that for the first time last night. Good, over the top, blood bath, Tarantino fun. Certainly not his best work, but fun none the less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:36 pm

12 Angry Men.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Watched "Fargo" last evening, haven't seen that film in many years. Another fantastic flick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?   Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Smokey-smokey wrote:
How come no one said Star Wars? Are there no nerds here?

It is on my list of 'bestest', just can't massage my list down to just one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What movie do you think is the best of the 20th century?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next