HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Massive explosion in my area this AM!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm

I was awakened about 3:30AM to the sound of a large explosion, and the power was out. Thought it was a line transformer blowing up, and made my way into work.

Near downtown North Bend, it was all blocked off with many fire trucks and police so couldn't get through. Saw much smoke, and figured some building had caught fire. Parts of North Bend were without power too, so figured this must be related to my outtage.

Power was fine in Snoqualmie, and finally learned of the situation on this news feed. The building involved is right where I would have been driving past about an hour later on my way into work!

Hope this link works.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Massive-explosion-destroys-buildings-in-North-Bend-256692071.html

Shocked 

Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:32 pm

A good think you weren't nearby!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 pm

A 'there but fo the grace of God' moment RR.
Interesting to see a scene of devestation on BoB that the Fatman wasn't involved in  lol! 

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:58 pm

RR,

Glad you are ok and that there wasn't a loss of life there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Wow...seriuosly contemplating using only wood to heat my house...yeesh...

And, here I am thinking you're going to regale us with a fanciful tale of tobacco blowing up your mailbox...

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow! that's pretty nuts. Glad your safe, I assumed you where talking about a tobacco related incident also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Glad it was only a minor inconvenience for you. Glad there weren't any serious injuries.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Good to know you're okay RR and that no one was seriously injured, that explosion must have shook you up quite a bit, how are your nerves doing Buddy, I'd be pretty freaked out by it all myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Not the type of Bombing/Expolsion thread were used to opening here at B.O.B..

Glad your OK. It was a shock to read, must of been scary to be so close to the action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:43 pm

The whole thing is totally surreal!

I stopped at the local grocery store a little while ago and literally the entire parking lot has much debris in it from the explosion! Masses of drywall, wood, paper, etc. Most of the lot was roped off, but the store was open for biz.

I hasten to add that the store is probably like 1000' or more from the blast area!

Shocked 

They have the area around the blast site all closed of course, and there are plenty of looky-loos going down there with cameras. Apparently the force of the blast blew out the bay windows of Les Schwab Tire Center, which is several hundred ft away.

The news footage looks like a bomb had been dropped on the building. Absolutely nothing left of it. And the little octagonal building next to it which housed a barber shop has been completely burned. Next to that is a filling station, and it was a stroke of fate that it didn't blow up with everything else.

When the explosion woke me up it sounded far away, much further than I would have expected from a transformer in our sub-division. I've heard those several times, and this boom was much lower in pitch as well as more powerful.

My first concern is that a sub-station had blown up. If that were the case it probably would be days until it was back on-line. I had no idea that the fire I saw coming into work and the explosion were related until much later.

Happy to report power was restored to my area. Don't know about the rest of town.

Yes, "there but for the grace of God go I". One hr later and I'd have been driving right past the buildings.

affraid 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Glad the timing wasn't worse. Was expecting some bomb from Fatman...but this..WOW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Timing is everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:02 pm

BD! Glad your okay sir, someone was looking over you today to say the least.  Wink 

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:47 am

Crikey RR. Glad you managed to avoid that one. First impression was a BoB bomb run gone badly wrong...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Massive explosion in my area this AM!   Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:53 am

Whew, some folks just got lucky!

We had a similar event here a few years ago, right at the square in our small town. Wee hours, two buildings blew up (contractor left a propane heater running). Not a soul injured. Interesting, the buildings were owned by romance novelist, Nora Roberts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Massive explosion in my area this AM!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1