HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 am

I've noticed that some of the brothers show pipes with rims as good as new. Mine tends to "build a cake" on the rim. How do I prevent this happening please?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 am

Give it a spit shine and a polish with a paper napkin or soft cloth after each smoke.

Not filling the bowl all the way to the top is a good idea. Maybe just 3/4 to 7/8 full. That'll go a long way to keep tar from forming in the first place. Careful lighting by avoiding the rim with direct flame, naturally.

If you really want to make sure, lick your finger and wet the rim with saliva before lighting. The moisture will keep the heat form scorching the rim.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 5:54 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
I've noticed that some of the brothers show pipes with rims as good as new. Mine tends to "build a cake" on the rim.  How do I prevent this happening please?

There is always Photoshop for the pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 7:56 am

Mister E has got it right!

Fr_Tom, Well....I reckon that would solve one problem.  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 am

You could follow Mister E's advice if you HAD to smoke 'em but it would be BETTER to do as Ron does, NOT SMOKE 'EM, just collect !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 10:36 am

You could also just take a picture of it new and post that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 am

monbla256 wrote:
You could follow Mister E's advice if you HAD to smoke 'em but it would be BETTER  to do as Ron does, NOT SMOKE 'EM, just collect !!   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

I was beginning to wonder where you were at Monbla, but, I'm over that.
You know better then to say that, I smoke about 14 different pipes a month, so what if I
got a bit more pipes then that. If nothing else I've always got some for back ups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 10:53 am

monbla256 wrote:
You could follow Mister E's advice if you HAD to smoke 'em but it would be BETTER  to do as Ron does, NOT SMOKE 'EM, just collect !!   Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

lol! lol! 

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 10:56 am

MisterE wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

lol! lol! 

Okay, okay! When your all sitting there with your burnt out nasty look'en stumps that use to be pipes I'll still have plenty to carry me on till my death and then some.

Oh! and your all now taken out of my Will!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

You know better then to say that, I smoke about 14 different pipes a month, so what if I
got a bit more pipes then that. If nothing else I've always got some for back ups.

I'm here Ron, just not much being posted worth replying to except when YOU jump in !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

I'm here Ron, just not much being posted worth replying to except when YOU jump in !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

We playing follow the leader or is it after I've already made a fool of myself you think it's safe to jump in?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Don't fill till the tobacco is level with the rim. Use matches. Don't smoke in the wind. Clean as suggested earlier. Smooth rims are easiest to maintain IMHO. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 am

juanmedusa wrote:
Smooth rims are easiest to maintain IMHO. Good luck.

Quite true.  On the other hand, I've found that a rusticated rim doesn't show the build up as much.  I've cleaned these types of rims by inverting and gently resting the top of the bowl in about 1/8" water (with a drop or two of Basic H) and using an old electric toothbrush while holding the bowl upside down, it takes the cake off pretty well without damaging the rim.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Tue May 13, 2014 10:27 am

Natch wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:
Smooth rims are easiest to maintain IMHO. Good luck.

Quite true.  On the other hand, I've found that a rusticated rim doesn't show the build up as much.  I've cleaned these types of rims by inverting and gently resting the top of the bowl in about 1/8" water (with a drop or two of Basic H) and using an old electric toothbrush while holding the bowl upside down, it takes the cake off pretty well without damaging the rim.

Natch

When I do restorations on estates I use a similar method but, I have rubber plugs I use in the tobacco chamber and use Murphy's oil soap with a bit of water and a tooth brush and if I've missed any afterwards I just use a bit of spit and a Q-tip to clean the rest up and then buff with an old T-shirt. Most the time they come out like new again unless there scorched pretty bad.
But, to AVOID build up I only fill my bowls 3/4 the way, being careful when lighting and always wipe my pipes down when done. And I agree with the blasts and rusticated type, what ya miss is not visible most the time. That's why most the ones I smoke are dark rusticated or blasts. Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 am

How do I prevent building a cake on my pipes' rims?

I don't; I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Sat May 24, 2014 9:40 am

Richard Burley wrote:

I don't; I like it.

I never, ever worried about it. For me a pipe had to look like that to give it character. But then I looked at my friends pipes at our monthly meetings and all of them had clean rims! I felt ashamed about the state of my pipes and being the odd one out.

So now all my briars have clean rims and I try to keep it like that. But I still think a pipe should have some cake on the rim to prevent rim darkening Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Sat May 24, 2014 10:26 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

I don't; I like it.

I never, ever worried about it.  For me a pipe had to look like that to give it character. But then I looked at my friends pipes at our monthly meetings and all of them had clean rims!  I felt ashamed about the state of my pipes and being the odd one out.

So now all my briars have clean rims and I try to keep it like that.  But I still think a pipe should have some cake on the rim to prevent rim darkening Twisted Evil 

Clean 'em up to sell or trade, maybe. Life is too short, otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Sat May 24, 2014 10:45 am

By the time you go to sell or trade them and try to clean the muck off them, chances are
they won't clean up without major repair or work.
I've done hundreds of pipes that the owner never took care of, high end pipes that were even just a year or two old and many of the time ended up being no better then a beater pipe.

I worked hard for my money and don't have enough to replace my belongings at a drop of a hat so I take good care of everything I own. That's probably why most my things are older then most people here and some items are much older then me because someone else before me took good care of them. It pays to take care of your belongings, mama taught me that a long time ago. Her being raised during the depression ya learned quickly or went without.
But, if you have more money then God, by all means treat'em like dirt and keep buying new ones, our country needs the money. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim   Sat May 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Well, if I wanted to get rid of any of my 50 or so pipes I would have done so years ago. None, that I can see, will not clean up and none are damaged in any way, other than slight toothmarks on some that are decades old. But that's beside the point. How does cleaning and exposing the rim to fire every time you light up protect the pipe? Why not clean the entire bowl down to bare wood? One can be extra careful, I suppose, but the whole idea of a pristine bowl rim smacks of anal retentive territory, a place I prefer to avoid. Polish 'em, stroke 'em, abuse 'em, do whatever you want, I say. I try to avoid the show-and-tell aspects of certain human activities, and pipe rim jobs are certainly one of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How do you prevent building a cake on your pipe's rim
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1