HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Time flys like an arrow.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 1:20 am

Fruit flies like a banana.......

Ok, I digress.

So, next year I plan on making an exodus to the lower 48. Given my vocation, MRI/CT/Xray tech, there are jobs pretty much everywhere. I am mainly focusing on six states, as they do not have a state income tax, just as Alaska doesn't. They are:

•Florida
•Nevada
•South Dakota
•Texas
•Washington
•Wyoming

I am open to pretty much anywhere, and am curious as to states my fine Brothers of the Briar live, and what they enjoy about living where they do.

Myself I have lived in California, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Alaska, and have travelled to almost all of the country.

So, if anyone is inclined to share, I would love to listen!

Thanks a ton!

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 am

I am sure we are all partial to our home States but I would like to live for one year on Mackinac Island, MI. You could use the ferry to commute to Mackinac City.

Although there is an income tax in Alabama, we have a lower cost-of-living. The town of Fairhope (where Growly is) is absolutely beautiful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 am

WA state-

High cost of living, high sales tax, expensive housing, tree hugging libs, rainy much of the year, outrageous and punitive tobacco taxes, damaging windstorms, exploding mountains, earthquakes, wildfires.

Sound good so far?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 4:45 am

Brewdude wrote:
WA state-

High cost of living, high sales tax, expensive housing, tree hugging libs,   rainy much of the year, outrageous and punitive tobacco taxes, damaging windstorms, exploding mountains, earthquakes, wildfires.

Sound good so far?

Cheers,

RR

Some internet tobacco sales sites do not ship to WA either, I forgot about that! Sales tax is not an issue, as long as there is a Military base close by, seeing as I am retired Navy Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 4:46 am

J Soshae wrote:
I am sure we are all partial to our home States but I would like to live for one year on Mackinac Island, MI. You could use the ferry to commute to Mackinac City.

Although there is an income tax in Alabama, we have a lower cost-of-living. The town of Fairhope (where Growly is) is absolutely beautiful.

Alabama would be doable, my neice lives in Mobile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 5:33 am

Brewdude wrote:
WA state-

High cost of living, high sales tax, expensive housing

Being a Californian I'm curious what you think "High" is.

Looks like your sales tax is about 1/2 a percent higher than ours, but you pay no state tax so you're ahead.

We are currently paying about $4.20 for a gallon of gas. The average home is about $400K unless you're OK with living in the hood.  

I ask because the wife and I are thinking about moving to Washington when I retire in a few years. Looks a bit cheaper (not a lot, but a bit), the weather is great (rain good, heat sucks), and the fishing is better  Smile

d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 am

I would put in a good word for texas, but its too dang hot down here. You would melt the first summer her, unless you are up in the panhandle. They actually have seasons there. Houston is growing, but super high property taxes IMHO. Im moving away from Houston the first chance I get. But I do like Texas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
millerman

Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 am

Well I can say fer sure you should really like South Dakota and Wyoming. I went to South Dakota several years back for the Sturgis Bike Rally and talked about leaving Virginia to move out there fer good. It is a beautiful place. While I was there we went into Wyoming and it was equally as nice. I hope where ever you go you enjoy yerself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 12:51 pm

I can recommend Devonshire in Blighty...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
WA state-

High cost of living, high sales tax, expensive housing

Being a Californian I'm curious what you think "High" is.

Looks like your sales tax is about 1/2 a percent higher than ours, but you pay no state tax so you're ahead.

We are currently paying about $4.20 for a gallon of gas. The average home is about $400K unless you're OK with living in the hood.  

I ask because the wife and I are thinking about moving to Washington when I retire in a few years. Looks a bit cheaper (not a lot, but a bit), the weather is great (rain good, heat sucks), and the fishing is better  Smile

PD, yes there are certainly states that are higher in cost of living than WA. CA being one of them. I guess it's all a matter of what one's income level is, and what you're used to.

For my part, I live in WA only due to my employment situation. Once I retire (if ever) I'm going somewhere else. Not sure where though.

**edit to add-

Ya, if you don't mind the endless rain and damp and only a few short months of sun and relatively warm temps then you're golden. And as for the fishing, I can't comment since I haven't fished since the '80's back in cheeseheadland.

Think I saw you post about the Pousbo area. I lived very near there for like 8 years so can give you some insight if you're interested. pm me.

end edit**

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Wed May 21, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Stick wrote:
You really should get out more Stick  lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Wed May 21, 2014 6:06 pm

alandadp wrote:
Stick wrote:
You really should get out more Stick  lol!

Just flying the flag old chap!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Time flys like an arrow.......   Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Wyoming has wide open spaces, friendly people, and dare I say it....concealed carry that doesn't require a permit! But seriously it's a nice place with a much more laid back feel to it much more like what the country was like 30-40 years ago. That's the biggest selling point to me.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Time flys like an arrow.......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1