HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Savinelli Autograph grades

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ktgivens

Registration date : 2014-06-06

PostSubject: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:47 pm

I know Savinelli Autographs are graded 000,00,0,8,6,5,4 and 3 (descending). HOWEVER, I have one stamped 2n and two (I swear) have no numbers at all... Just Savinelli Autograph (checked them thoroughly under a bright light with a magnifying glass). What does 'no grade stamp' mean and what is a 2N? I don't think they're counterfeit as I have had and still do have several Autographs and these fit the bill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Excellent, interesting question. Do I have an answer? Hell, no. But I can't wait for someone knowledgeable to pipe in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:34 pm

I can't imagine an Italian manufacturer being able to stamp all of its pipes completely or correctly. It just seems beyond them.

I do know that Savinelli has made autographs in other "dresses", like the Mr G finish with the gold band, and they stamp these as such. But the 2n I have never seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:35 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
I can't imagine an Italian manufacturer being able to stamp all of its pipes completely or correctly.   It just seems beyond them.  

Are they that stupid then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
I can't imagine an Italian manufacturer being able to stamp all of its pipes completely or correctly.   It just seems beyond them.  

I do know that Savinelli has made autographs in other "dresses", like the Mr G finish with the gold band, and they stamp these as such.  But the 2n I have never seen.  

really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Uh, yeah, really.  There's Castellos out there with no shape number (I have one), I have a Savinelli that says Ita and I thought maybe this was the maker's name but now I think that maybe, just maybe, it's short for Italy, but it wasn't stamped right.   My Radice Underwood is stamped "Bark".... this being their other rustication.  

So call it what you will, the fact that an Autograph might get out without a number grade stamp wouldn't surprise me in the least.

This is not me being anti-Italian or anything like that. I have a pile of these kind of pipes and I love them. But incomplete or incorrect stamping is not uncommon, and anyone who finds a pipe marked "Ita" should presumably neither worry about it nor make the assumption that the pipe in question is some kind of one-off.

There are mis-stamped and unstamped pipes out there in every brand. In my experience, some of the Italian manufacturers do it more often than some other manufacturers. I've never seen a mis-stamped Mastro de Paja, for example, and have seen mis-stamped Dunhills, Stanwells, and Petersons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Uh, yeah, really.  There's Castellos out there with no shape number (I have one), I have a Savinelli that says Ita and I thought maybe this was the maker's name but now I think that maybe, just maybe, it's short for Italy, but it wasn't stamped right.   My Radice Underwood is stamped "Bark".... this being their other rustication.  

So call it what you will, the fact that an Autograph might get out without a number grade stamp wouldn't surprise me in the least.

This is not me being anti-Italian or anything like that.   I have a pile of these kind of pipes and I love them.  But incomplete or incorrect stamping is not uncommon, and anyone who finds a pipe marked "Ita" should presumably neither worry about it nor make the assumption that the pipe in question is some kind of one-off.

There are mis-stamped and unstamped pipes out there in every brand.  In my experience, some of the Italian manufacturers do it more often than some other manufacturers.  I've never seen a mis-stamped Mastro de Paja, for example, and have seen mis-stamped Dunhills, Stanwells, and Petersons.  

I'll have to agree with Sas, I have seen countless Savinelli's with bad stamps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:03 am

I have 19 Italian pipes and all of them are stamped correctly.

I have two Peterson pipes, one of them a Limerick. The only letters I can see of "Limerick" is "Li ???? ck". The other letters are stamped into each other.

So, 50% of my Peterson pipes are stamped incorrectly  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Savinelli Autograph grades   Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 am

That's pretty good for Peterson.  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Savinelli Autograph grades
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1