HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jonnylaw13

avatar

Age : 31
Location : norther WI
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 pm

I've been on a search for the perfect churchwarden when I stumbled across the Stanwell HCA II MII and its perfect. I love it, go back about a week later to P&C the only HCA sold out os my II MII rustic, well bummer  Mad happen across another on eBay, not sure it was the same model but close to the same shape, a Flawless with no bids.. High bidder! 14 hours later busy away check back and lost that sob by $2!!!! Well I think I'm giving up on this one for now, really wanting my first "new" pipe only other one really peaking my interest os the Peterson Tankard but my readings say its not all that great of a pipe... Pipen ain't easy! Whatever shall I do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:43 am

You'll find one eventually. But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:04 am

riff raff wrote:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)

THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

avatar

Age : 31
Location : norther WI
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:03 pm

monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)

THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  Twisted Evil 

peoples complaints seem to be a very small bowl and it heats up really fast. Nothing bad about the quality or the smokablility
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:24 pm

jonnylaw13 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)

THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  Twisted Evil 

peoples complaints seem to be a very small bowl and it heats up really fast. Nothing bad about the quality or the smokablility

Who's the "peoples"? Sounds like someone or ones are puffing too much.
Pipes are for slow smoking and sipping and certainly this one. The bowl is ample enough in thickness that it shouldn't heat up anymore then any other pipe of it's size (I have one).

What ya need to do is research what they sell for new and then search eBay or other sites.
Find one that matches your criteria in condition and price, then sit back till the last few seconds and place your bid. I suggest you think about how much you want to pay very carefully and how much your willing to pay over that when someone out bids you.
I'd also do a search on eBay "Closed Auctions" so as to get an idea what they go for there.
In my experience if you want to win an auction you have to be willing to pay more then the other guy. 75% of the time I get items much cheaper then what I bid but, I too have my limitations. Only the crazy and wealthy can win them all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

avatar

Age : 31
Location : norther WI
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.   Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
jonnylaw13 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)

THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  Twisted Evil 

peoples complaints seem to be a very small bowl and it heats up really fast. Nothing bad about the quality or the smokablility

Who's the "peoples"? Sounds like someone or ones are puffing too much.
Pipes are for slow smoking and sipping and certainly this one. The bowl is ample enough in thickness that it shouldn't heat up anymore then any other pipe of it's size (I have one).

What ya need to do is research what they sell for new and then search eBay or other sites.
Find one that matches your criteria in condition and price, then sit back till the last few seconds and place your bid. I suggest you think about how much you want to pay very carefully and how much your willing to pay over that when someone out bids you.
I'd also do a search on eBay "Closed Auctions" so as to get an idea what they go for there.
In my experience if you want to win an auction you have to be willing to pay more then the other guy. 75% of the time I get items much cheaper then what I bid but, I too have my limitations. Only the crazy and wealthy can win them all.

I saw the tankard on a YouTube video then found it on eBay, then did price researching and reviews on other sites. Then went back to eBay and the buy it now prices literally doubled (no joke) I think I'm cursed! As for the HCA, there's only a very specific shape I like it in and tracking it down is well as my OP title says.. A pain in the ass..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Holy Grail for the morally dead left
» WHAT IS YOUR HOLY GRAIL OF COLLECTING

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: