HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

I like alot of this carvers work but, will never be able to afford any of them new.
One in particular one of the artisans pipes sticks out as not being my thing what so ever though, yet is still priced at a fairly high level. And might I add this is not the only one like this that he has created. $500? I'm sorry, not in my life time. Now, I understand this pipe may appeal to some so I'm not going to be graphic about my dislike of it nor am I going to say who the carver is but, he's not an unknown newbie. This is not a bashing of the carver but, maybe a question why this would appeal to some and why such a high price? What's your thoughts?  Wink 

Last edited by Cartaphilus on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 pm

Ya, saw that. Reverse Calbash, and has 2 in this style.

Doesn't appeal to me, but it probably does to some. I grant him his artistic licence and it may smoke fine. Just doesn't ring my bells.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 pm

YOU JUST DON'T understand It's an ARTISON pipe !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Seems to me it would be like having a coke can in front of my face, while smoking it. I am all for odd shaped pipes, this one does not do it for me. That all being said, the grain and blast are nice, and I bet it is a great smoker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:53 pm

monbla256 wrote:
YOU JUST DON'T understand It's an ARTISON pipe !!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Oh! I didn't realize it was Art's sons pipe, that makes it entirely different then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:37 am

It does not fit my budget, my tastes or my pipe rack. I'll pass...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

I don't know shit so feel free to ignore but I feel like it looks like it didn't have much time sunk into carving it as say a hand made pipe in the same price range. Feel like it could be cranked out real quick on the lathe. No form all function not for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 am

This pipe maker is one of the finest I have ever seen. Since his name hasn't been mentioned, I won't publish it either. But IMO this is not a pipe, it's a dowel with a hole in it!!!! Same goes for those Cigar shaped pipes. I'll smoke a cigar anytime, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend good money on a piece of wood that looks like a cigar. LOL
Each to his own, just not for me. And I could go on about those Punk styled pipes as well. Artisan my @$$. LOL
OK, my morning rant is over and I feel better. lol! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeandsnuff

Registration date : 2014-06-09

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 am

Aesthetic appeal is so personal and varied, but a simple cylinder with a short stem for a pipe, I would say does not have great appeal to the majority of pipers. It looks hard to hold in hand and well, Klunky.... Man I could buy some fine pipes for $500 clams....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 am

Not my style. Like mentioned above, does not look comfortable to hold, looks chunky. That being said, maybe there's some thing to this pipe that we can't see. Maybe there's something in the barrel shape that has a purpose and is hidden from view. I don't know this carver, and this is all I have to see, so I can't say anything about the price, except no matter what the pipe looks like it's out of my reach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:52 am

desertpiper wrote:
Not my style. Like mentioned above, does not look comfortable to hold, looks chunky. That being said, maybe there's some thing to this pipe that we can't see. Maybe there's something in the barrel shape that has a purpose and is hidden from view. I don't know this carver, and this is all I have to see, so I can't say anything about the price, except no matter what the pipe looks like it's out of my reach.

i claim it is a reverse calabash design and the stem contains a large chamber.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Sloth

Registration date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 am

The vulcanite stem's the deal-breaker.

It may be wrong to call this a pipe. It may in fact be a Quintessential Blowie Thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:51 am

It's for rectal smoking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:31 pm

It might be "work in progress"?  Twisted Evil 

I have a wooden breadbox which looks a lot like this work in progress. Just no stem sticking out on the side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
It's for rectal smoking.

lol!  Smoking enema, burning the candle on both sides?

If you fit a stem where the "tobacco loading space" is at present, you can convert it into a chimney style pipe. I think that would look better, sort of like a bastard bulldog!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm aware of this and who makes it. This carver makes some other interesting artistic style too. This particular pipe moves the needle less for me than some of the others. I saw this and thought that if it was flat on the bottom and had a hose instead of a stem it'd make a good table pipe. They actually made those decades ago, I've seen them in old catalogues. I'm with the brother that would think it strange to hold this thing in front of my face. Though honestly if this was expected to sit on a table like I suggested I'd still never buy one. It would just seem less bizarre to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:32 pm

While I do hunt, I don't hunt ducks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:49 pm

fishnbanjo wrote:
While I do hunt, I don't hunt ducks!

Yes! It does look like one doesn't it. Quack quack!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnylaw13

Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Sloth wrote:
The vulcanite stem's the deal-breaker.

It may be wrong to call this a pipe. It may in fact be a Quintessential Blowie Thing.

isnt that big words for "duck call"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sloth

Registration date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:01 am

Fatman wrote:
Seems to me it would be like having a coke can in front of my face, while smoking it. I am all for odd shaped pipes, this one does not do it for me. That all being said, the grain and blast are nice, and I bet it is a great smoker.

This was exactly what I was thinking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I've seen this carver's curious wares offered on various sites, and they're often -- well -- different, often different for the sake of being different, I'd say. I don't see any advantage in this design, and the conspicuous disadvantage I'd say is weight. Nevertheless, there must be some pipers out there this appeals to. Just not this one. I would enjoy seeing an interview with the carver on what his design thinking is and what he thinks of traditional shapes. But this pipe might be the shape of things to come -- a smoker could use it to shoo over zealous anti-smoking nazis. Maybe that was the idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 am

Though not necessarily my style, I do recognize the artist / pipe makers work. And whether or not I like the pipe is one thing. What impresses me is that this guy has really developed a standout style when it comes to pipe making. It is very easy to distinguish his work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:34 am

Northern Neil wrote:
It is very easy to distinguish his work.

No doubt about that  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:06 am

I do enjoy the eclectic nature of his other pipes, epsecially the multi colored cube looking ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY $500 OR MORE FOR THIS?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: