HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Needing input from a hiring manager

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:25 am

So, to make a long story short....

I have been waiting for a call regarding a second interview for a job I am applying for. Today there was a message on my landline answering machine. The meat of the message was asking why I missed my second interview, last Friday at 2 PM.

Here is where I am not sure how to proceed. The Manager who did the intitial interview and I had a conversation the Monday, 1 week prior, the 25th of Aug. I was told that the company had a new email system installed and that the schedule for the next higher Manager was not available. I let the Manager know I was at their disposal, and just let me know when the second interview would be. I never received a message to let me know there was a second interview. The message today was the first that I heard of it. I have checked my phone logs, both landline and cell phone, and email, just in case I missed something.

What I have done is send an email, and here is what I sent.....

Hello Tiffany,

I received your message tonight when I got up for work. I had no idea I had an interview last Friday at 2pm. I am not sure how this happened and I profusely apologize.  I really hope I did not blow it, and am able to have a second chance. I will follow up with a phone call in the morning. I called as soon as I got your message, but the office was closed.

Have a great day,

John Mayfield

So, any input from anyone in a hiring position? What could I have done better, and should the situation be salvagable?

Thanks for reading my rambling diatribe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:26 am

I'm not in a hiring position but, I think your reply is reeking of guilt and that I personally would not have done.
I would how ever told them that I did NOT receive any such message from them about a 2nd interview and if they wished to proceed I'd me more then happy to accommodate them if they tell me when and where.
To tell you the truth, this sounds fishy. Why would a employer contact a applicationer (if that's a word) when they didn't show up for a so called scheduled interview. I think most employers would have just crossed you off there list and went on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 am

For me there is a large disconnect in the whole application / interview / hiring process. The job I have held for the paast 9 years is the first since I left the Navy in 2005, after 20 years. I got hired into the Radiology dept with a simple phone interview. So this is new territory for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 am

I don't think your message is off base.

I would have done the same...a simple, I never received a call to schedule the 2nd interview, please let me know how to proceed, I'm still available anytime, etc. etc. And, yes, follow up with a phone call.

As an Administrator, I would never hold that against and applicant (that's the word you were looking for Cart ;-) )

I would be more upset with my secretary, assistant, myself, whomever forgot to call you.

I hope it all works out to a simple miscommunication on their part, seems that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 am

I've hired and fired scores of student workers over the years. If someone missed their second round interview with me they were done, unless there was some sort of unavoidable emergency. Of course I knew they had all been contacted because I contacted them about a second interview.

I think what you've done is fine. You just have to look at the situation from the perspective of those hiring you and make sure you're responding appropriately to what could be an unintentional mistake on their end. Keep calling and emailing until you get a response.

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the input guys. The job market is very small and a bit saturated up here, in the outpatient arena. There are a few hospital based jobs, however no point starting at the bottom at a different hospital, and having the same issues I am trying to get away from, ie.... weekend call, hoolidays, and the nightshift Shocked

I will post how it all ends up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 am

I handle a ton of interviews, hiring, and (unfortunately) separation...enough that it sometimes gets between me and my own work.

I think what you've done is just fine. Short, concise, not weepy, but not pointing fingers either ("YOUR system screwed up and no one bothered to let me know to come in," etc.).

IF the persons(s) handling the hiring process realize that their email/scheduling system is new and that they are all still working out some kinks in their processes, I would imagine you would be just fine.
IF the persons(s) your dealing with aren't inclined to consider honest errors or communication breakdowns, and assume that the applicant bears the responsibility here, I think you're dead in the water.

We do get an awful lot of "I missed the call," "It went to my Spam Folder," "I had a last-minute emergency in Botswana and didn't have the 12 seconds it would have taken to let you know I couldn't make it," excuses, so even though your situation is 100% legit, the hiring manager might very well see it as just another one of those lukewarm attempts at an excuse. They acknowledged that their email system is new, so I would hope that they would reschedule with you, without penalty.

You might want to make a phone call (if that's a possibility) to follow up on your email - if nothing else, it shows a sense of sincerity, that you take things seriously, and that you're making an honest effort to correct the error (regardless of who/what caused it). One call (or voicemail, if non one picks up) would be sufficient.

Obviously that's all just my opinion...there's no accounting for taste.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 am

I have conducted a lot of interviews for faculty/staff in the academic world. In the church world it's been a handful. I have been on the interviewed end a bunch of times.

I think this whole thing points to communication issues on the employer end - layers of management who talk in the break room and don't follow through. This might be a yellow flag in the application process. If they are doing it now, what will it be like as an employee?

I interviewed for a job once, and it would have been a great fit in most ways. My immediate supervisor was clearly a guy who did not like to make decisions. This registered as I went through the process. Sure enough, he had a couple of candidates he liked and agonized. I finally told him he needed to fish or cut bait and gave him two weeks to make up his mind. Two weeks out he was still agonizing. I made the decision a simpler one for him and withdrew my application.

It would have been tough to work for him, and I got a glimpse into it during the application process.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:29 am

Fr_Tom wrote:

I think this whole thing points to communication issues on the employer end - layers of management who talk in the break room and don't follow through. This might be a yellow flag in the application process. If they are doing it now, what will it be like as an employee?

A fair point...although if the system is relatively new there are always some kinks to work out. As hard as it can be for a company to get a fair view of an applicant, the reverse is true. It's hard to say whether this is a one-off sort of breakdown, or it lousy communication is a systemic problem.

Hopefully you'll get that second interview and you'll have a chance to ask them (it is, after all, COMPLETELY respectable to ask the prospective employer difficult questions, too!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Hmmm. This is a bit of a tough one. I think Ron has a good point with regards to the reply, just in the sense that there was really no need to apologize for this incident since you never received the email message.

I have been on several hiring committees in the past 10 years and I think that the best thing that you can hope for is that the person in charge of contacting you or whoever is in charge of their mail server informs HR of the issue. Or perhaps an opportunity is speak directly with the hiring manager.

One thing I would want to know is why aren't they calling people directly rather than emailing them, especially with a 2nd interview in hanging in the balance?

Sorry John but this sounds like case of Kaiser Permanente Syndrome (Good Doctors and Techs with fools in Administration that make everyone look like a bunch of numbskulls).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a second interview tomorrow at 3pm. The original manager knows she messed up, and it appears taking the path I did was a good idea. So, we shall see what transpires!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Fatman wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. I have a second interview tomorrow at 3pm. The original manager knows she messed up, and it appears taking the path I did was a good idea. So, we shall see what transpires!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:16 pm

That is wonderful news John , glad to see they saw their mistake! Best wishes on that second interview hope you get it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05 am

Fatman wrote:

Happy to hear.

Good Luck John. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 am

Awesome news!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:19 am

Fatman wrote:
For me there is a large disconnect in the whole application / interview / hiring process. The job I have held for the paast 9 years is the first since I left the Navy in 2005, after 20 years. I got hired into the Radiology dept with a simple phone interview. So this is new territory for me.

I've been hiring managers and associates for 35 years. Your message sounded honest to me, most savy managers can recognize that tone. There does seem to be a disconnect on their end. I would definitely follow-up in person or with a phone call at the very least. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Fatman wrote:

I retired from a group of Hospitals almost 4 years ago after 25 years. (IT) when I was hired I meant the Director, my friend who recommended me across the street at a Wendy's. I was told to show up Monday and take a pre-employee physical and if I passed I was to start as soon as the paperwork was done.

by the time I left no one wanted to take the responsibility of making a decision everything had to be a group thing so no one could be singled out as hiring a loser, making the wrong software decision or when to turn the lights on and off. no one including the VP would make a yes or no decision without first running it up the political flagpole to see which way the wind was blowing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Seems the second interview went well. It lasted 1 hour 10 minutes. I have a soft offer of the same hourly wage, and 4 weeks vacation time plus 7 paid holidays. If they make a firm offer of the same, I will take it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Fatman wrote:
Seems the second interview went well. It lasted 1 hour 10 minutes. I have a soft offer of the same hourly wage, and 4 weeks vacation time plus 7 paid holidays. If they make a firm offer of the same, I will take it!

Well then, looks like a great offer John! Hope it comes through.

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Fatman wrote:

I wish you the best of luck sir, it's sound'en pretty good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Clay

Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Good luck, hope they pick you soon. The anticipation would be killing me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:22 pm

That's great news! cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Good to hear there was a positive outcome Fatman! When you get it I think you should pull out your best spirit, briar, and baccy and celebrate. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:54 pm

bentbulldog wrote:
Good to hear there was a positive outcome Fatman! When you get it I think you should pull out your best spirit, briar, and baccy and celebrate. cheers cheers cheers

Sounds like a great idea. Glad to hear that your second interview went well. Ill be praying you get the official offer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Needing input from a hiring manager   Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Great news John, well done to you Sir, and well played... Keep us posted...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Needing input from a hiring manager
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1