HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:38 am

I have always had an interest in pipes, since I was a young lad having philosophical conversations with my pipe smoking neighbors.

In my late teens, early twenties I jumped onto the cig scene, but fortunately got off before I really got on, pipes were there but in the background.

A few years ago I finally tried the higher end cigars (Padron, Fuente, Davidoff, etc...) I enjoyed it somewhat but it still didn't sit right with me.

At dinner today, I took a break from my pipes and had an Alec Bradley Prensado. I finished it to the last inch, but I had to force it and the whole time I was telling myself "This doesn't come anywhere close to my pipes"

To each his own, but I think I've finally reached that point where no longer even want cigars. (I gave the remaining 8 sticks I had to my friend)

I came home and just started "playing" with my briars

I think I have finally moved on...I am a Brother of the Briar!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 am

bentbulldog wrote:
I think I have finally moved on...I am a Brother of the Briar!

Now that right there is a beautiful thing. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:56 am

We were in a Hookah bar too, and I was indifferent towards it, even as my friend got "the most awesomest shishah" in the area.

I'm perfectly fine with my pipe tobacco!
LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I hear you. Last time I was at a hookah bar with friends I spent the entirety of that evening wishing I could be smoking my pipe! Also beats a fine cigar every time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:51 pm

I was a cigar-o-holic for something like 16 odd years. Went OTT on collecting (and smoking). Too much to even talk or think about!! Embarrassing actually, in some ways.

Mad

Returned to the pipe some 4 yrs ago and never looked back. Sold off virtually all my cigars for pennies on the dollar.

C'est la vie........

jocolor

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:10 pm

don't any of you go both ways?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
don't any of you go both ways?

OOOOH! One could have SOOOOOO much fun with THAT one !!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:17 am

I knew that comment would bring out the switch hitters
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:43 am

I also discovered pipes four years ago and have smoked exactly one cigar since picking up the pipe (my last!). I'm so picky about my stem buttons, sticking a big, soggy cigar in my mouth almost feels obscene. I think that I only smoked half of that last cigar before giving up.

Brewdude wrote:
I was a cigar-o-holic for something like 16 odd years. Went OTT on collecting (and smoking). Too much to even talk or think about!! Embarrassing actually, in some ways.

Mad

Returned to the pipe some 4 yrs ago and never looked back. Sold off virtually all my cigars for pennies on the dollar.

C'est la vie........

jocolor

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 am

I'll never give up cigars, but pipes are dominant in my smoking repertoire by a long shot. I smoke about three premium stogies a month, hardly enough to break the bank or bring up any other consideration. That's not counting a small leather case I carry when out and about stuffed with Garcia Vega Miniatures, kind of a back-up nicotine supply that rarely gets used. Makes me feel "safe" when out in the cruel world.

The thing about cigars is that they don't satisfy me quite as well as a pipe. I often want a pipe after smoking a cigar, but I have never wanted a cigar after smoking a pipe. Others' tastes may differ. But there are occasions when only a cigar will do. One of them is watching a movie. I don't know why, but a big fat cigar is required for this rare event. (Rare because today's movies suck.) Anyhow, they have a place in my nicotinic existence and always will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Hambone

Registration date : 2014-09-28

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:34 pm

I alternate between my pipes and cigars. I enjoy both but I do believe the taste of pipe tobacco is far superior to cigar tobacco. But each one has a place and time for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 pm

At the PRICE of most GOOD cigars these days, I don't see how ANYONE can smoke 'em ! I enjoyed smoking cigars back in the late '70s rspecially those made by La Gloria Cubana by Ernesto when his factory was in FL. I could get a box of La Glorias for around $30.00 back then and now they are made by someone else in Nicaragua and sell in the $100+ dollar /box range !! We may think pipe 'baccy is expensive but it's CHHEAPER per smoke than any good Cigar IMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence.... I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.

I turned to pipes for two reasons... 1 because cigars cost to much to smoke 2-3 times per day... B. Because pops did it.

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:16 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence....  I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.    

I turned to pipes for two reasons... 1 because cigars cost to much to smoke 2-3 times per day... B. Because pops did it.
\

Glad to meet a cheap son of a bitch with the same viewpoint ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:49 pm

monbla256 wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence....  I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.    

\

Glad to meet a cheap son of a bitch with the same viewpoint ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

This is nice! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:23 pm

95% of what I smoke is pipe tobacco...the rest are cigars smoked out by the pool in the summer (a pretty short season in Cleveland).  Snuff is for whenever I'm not in a position to smoke.

I'm sure I could eliminate the cigars in favor of pipes/snuff, but I don't really want to. Sometimes, especially when it's hot out, a good stick just hits the spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...   Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I spent the summer in Cleveland one weekend back in the 90's

It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1