HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

S Gawith 'special flakes'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:38 pm

A number of us were involved in the recent Synjeco group buy, and at least a few of us ordered one or more of the Sam Gawith 'special flakes'.  1-5 & 7 were available, and I at least ordered a pouch of each of them.  All of them, except maybe #5, smelled more or less like Grousemoor.  I thought I would open a thread to review them as I go through them.  For those who bought them but haven't opened one yet, a reminder that the pouches are unsealed.

So, 1st impression of number 3: yep tasted like a lighter version of Grousemoor, maybe a bit more honey than lemon grass.  Medium-strong N.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:21 pm

This is a fantastic thread. Info on those flakes is hard to come by. I hope this stirs up some activity. I will be following eagerly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:42 pm

1st impression of 'Special Flake #4' -- just a hint of the lemon grass in the pouch. I thought it might have been just from contact with the others, but it is still there, lightly, in the first 1/3 of the bowl. The 'honey' aspect is stronger, and it bit a little in the first half but the rest of the bowl was a somewhat sweetened straight VA
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Looking forward to these reviews, too. Will use them to decide which flakes to get in the next group buy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 pm

1st impression of Special Flake #2 -- still lemon grass, but at or a tad below #4. The honey flavoring is mostly absent as well, so I could taste the VA from the start.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Special Flake #5 -- the supposedly unflavored special flake. When it arrived, the pouch and tobacco had the lemon grass smell, so I separated that pouch from the others, and separated two flakes from the pouch. I changed those two flakes over to a fresh baggie and then into a clean jar about a week later. It still smells and tastes of lemon grass, perhaps a tad more so than the sample I had of #2 (no honey in this one, however). Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Special Flake #7 -- the only one that's smoked on the 'wet' side so far, a rather creamy smoke. The flavor hovers between light lemon grass and cedar. One reviewer, who found a plethora of flavors, included pine needles, and I can see how some might call the flavor that.
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:53 pm

I had some obscure Chinese tea with pine needle taste in it and quite liked it. I wonder how that'll be in a smoke. Have to check it out. Thanks again for the continuing updates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
I had some obscure Chinese tea with pine needle taste in it and quite liked it. I wonder how that'll be in a smoke. Have to check it out. Thanks again for the continuing updates.

One more to go! I will certainly try it before Thanksgiving
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
I had some obscure Chinese tea with pine needle taste in it and quite liked it.

Lapsuchang, maybe?

Special No. 7 sounds interesting. Thanks for the info Dr.T
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:
I had some obscure Chinese tea with pine needle taste in it and quite liked it.

Lapsuchang, maybe?

No not that one, though I have some on hand. It goes quite well with a salty breakfast. The one I was speaking of was a Pu-erh tea. Basically pressed tea bricks from Yunnan. Because of the wildness of the region it comes from and primitive processing methods it has a wide range of nuances based lots of factors. There is a high likelihood that the average person wouldn't find it very palatable. It starts quite bitter. But give that brick a couple decades and it should be good to go. Something kinda like this, http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1469&zenid=15ffae3cffd0ab26c57c5948b33596c0
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Special Flake #1 -- light on the lemon grass, but I really didn't get much more out of this. In short, all 6 seem like variations on a theme (which didn't really surprise me). All have at least a hint of the lemon grass found in Grousemoor. Most (1-5) seem to give me the sense of some licquor was used in the casing as well.
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Smoking the special flake #3 right now in a Missouri Meerschaum lovat? I guess. (I really never learned the names of their shapes. Don't know why.) It is the first bowl in this pipe. I smoked through the special flakes when I got them but they're dissimilar to the lakelands I am already familiar with so I made no comment. Taking my time and revisiting them. I've been keeping them in a more cigar type humidification so they're not moist in storage but won't dry to tinder and then dust. I am in a moment of Zen right now. A perfect smoke. It's all perfect right now. Wow. Thanks again to my benefactor for these samples!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:39 pm

SG should make these available on the us market along with the plugs. Why so many similar blends and none of the interesting stuff? Golden glow, medium virginia flake...who needs when we have FVF? Skiff, squadron and commonwealth? I'll take commonwealth? Sams flake and westmoreland are boring compared to the unique stuff they sell in Europe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 pm

It seems like the Lakeland market is expanding if anything. It was hard to get Grasmere awhile ago but now it's available and seems to be doing okay. The SG special flakes seem somewhat similar to each other but dissimilar to the U.S. available SG flakes. I agree. I don't see why they wouldn't try to introduce at least one in the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Awhile back the plugs were all available in the us but I now I think the perception is that the trend among americans is latakia, virginia and vapers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 pm

I shouldn't be ragging on squadron leader though it's clearly a favorite. I like it a lot too but it is slightly un satisfying in the nic department where commonwealth is stronger. Why would all the special flakes be flavored with grousemoor lemongrass? You'd think they'd switch it up. #3 is the most scented flake of the bunch? Hopefully I get to try them someday. Any smokers tried the black cherry from SG? How is it compared to Celtic T or GH TBC?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 am

Has anyone tried SG palace gate? Or perhaps know is it made by Stanislaw and disturbed by SG like seasonal flakes? My understanding is that those like wintertime flake are not true gawith products in that they are t produced on the old machines and such. Am I correct? Palace hate sounds interesting it's a cavendish I believe with a coconut / toffee topping. Sounds interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Has anyone tried SG palace gate? Or perhaps know is it made by Stanislaw and disturbed by SG like seasonal flakes? My understanding is that those like wintertime flake are not true gawith products in that they are t produced on the old machines and such. Am I correct? Palace hate sounds interesting it's a cavendish I believe with a coconut / toffee topping. Sounds interesting

I bought this before the coconut topping was announced; I forget who I passed it on to here, but I seem to remember they enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:34 am

DrT999 wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

I bought this before the coconut topping was announced; I forget who I passed it on to here, but I seem to remember they enjoyed it.

thanks doc, i'll give it a try. I like coconut and the reviews are good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:36 am

I'll have to check out some Palace Gate. I enjoy the Gawithian coconut treatment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 am

Just got some in...it's smells great and is tasty very sweet...but it's frustratingly mild.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Has anybody smoked Samuel Gawith Black Cherry?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey Doc, did you find much difference between Special Flake 1 & 2? I just got some 1 in the synjeco group buy and I don't notice any difference between it and the number 2 I got a while back. The reviews said 1 tastes like camay soap but i'm not getting that at all, they both taste the same pretty much exactly like cannon plug to me. what do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: S Gawith 'special flakes'   Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Hey Doc, did you find much difference between Special Flake 1 & 2? I just got some 1 in the synjeco group buy and I don't notice any difference between it and the number 2 I got a while back. The reviews said 1 tastes like camay soap but i'm not getting that at all, they both taste the same pretty much exactly like cannon plug to me. what do you think?

I thought they were all pretty much variations on Grousemoor ('lemon grass') with minor flavors added
Back to top Go down

S Gawith 'special flakes'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next