HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Possible shakeup with my personal life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Well, not sure what all is going to happen over the next few months, but I'd figure if anyone could help me see through the smoke and fog, it'd be you fine folks.

Back in July, the head folks of the company I work for had a companywide Webex meeting with everyone and announced that effective March 1st, they were restructuring the company (right now we're comprised of around 11 different divisions that each do their own thing) into three large groups. Not necessarily a bad deal, no layoffs or anything like that in sight, however the division I'm part of is getting split down the middle, so basically half of the people in the building will answer to one head honcho, the rest to another. Again, not too bad, except now that we are getting closer to March, there are some uglier changes starting to leave their mark... Change in computer domains, massive change in our daily business processes, change in payroll, dress code, and how we communicate, building wide and company wide.

With this, and my department getting split up into roughly 5 chiefs and 5 indians(which is insane), the workload has increasingly become worse and worse, with my non-busy days having me still put in 9-11 hours, and getting to the point of where I'm approaching 6 to 7 days of regular work a week, not including our on-call schedules. I had to recently trim my beard back, as stress was causing me to pull it out, a hair at a time. Sad

On the mostly bright side, I received a call from a gentleman I've known for years, who works in the same industry I do, asking for a resume. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I sent him one. That day, we scheduled a phone interview, which seemed to go over extremely well, and now have an in-person interview scheduled for the second week of November. The bright side to this job, it'll be a massive increase in pay, with what seems to be a lower stress level. On the con side, I'll be moving pretty close to back home, at the beginning of the year, to a hyperinflated economy, insane housing prices, and horrible drivers.

I can honestly say that I'm not sure which direction to take(at least not until I see some hard numbers on paper and whatnot), and am at a bit of a loss.

Any of you out there go through something similar? Any advice to share with me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Where is "closer to home?"

I would say this much, without knowing too many particulars: it seems to me that you're significantly dissatisfied with your current situation. In my experience, that means it's time for a change.

I would start by asking two questions:
1. Were you relatively happy and personally satisfied with the way things were before all of these changes?

2. Do you reasonably expect that things will ever get close to the "old normal" and/or change in a way that makes thing as good as or BETTER than before?

If it were me, I'd have a hard time justifying staying in place if I can't honestly answer "yes" to both questions. I've been in very similar situations more than once in my current job - and I've NOT followed my own advice. As a result, I'm increasingly unhappy, and every day seems to be a half-step back from the one before. While I don't know how things would have been if I'd listened to myself, I intend to find out if and when the opportunity arises again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, It seems you don't like your present job and they pulled the ole "We're going to change things for the Good of the Company" BS which usually means "We're going to screw our employees and don't care but, we're going to tell you we do" BS. And I bet if you or anyone else quits they'll be so quick to hand you your hat and open the door for ya your head'll spin.
The new job you state is less stress and MORE money but, your moving to a higher rent district. If it's still going to put more money in your pocket after paying more for a roof over your head and, less stress, I think it's a no brainer. But, the final decision is yours, you'll be the one with your hat in hand living with it. That last part is a CMA cause I've never and will not make life changing decisions for people, not even kin. Besides I have a hard enough time making them for myself. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Advice?

-- Be flexible

-- Trust your gut

-- Stay positive

-- Don't second-guess opportunity

-- Network and make connections like a mother-effer

-- Have at least one reasonable vice if you f*ck up the above five

Bonus observation:

-- Rinse and repeat--you're young; you'll be fine.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 pm

This.

Kyle Weiss wrote:
(snip)

Bonus observation:

-- Rinse and repeat--you're young; you'll be fine.  

Cool

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks guys!!

idbowman - I'm currently in Amarillo, TX. It's a sleepy town, about 190,000 folks, extremely low cost of living and a nice, slow pace with enough around to still go on a tear on the weekends if you want to. Closer to home for me is the Midland/Odessa area, about 4 hours due south. Both Odessa and Midland normally have the same feel as Amarillo, and are of comparable size, but in the past few years the oilfield boom has taken off like no other; there's been an extreme influx in workers, from here in the states and across the border, and along with that has been the huge surge in drunk-driving and exhaustion related accidents and fatalities, and a HUGE housing bubble. 1,500 sq. ft, 2 bed 1 bath homes are selling in crappy neighborhoods, in okay shape, for upwards of 140-240k. If you can find a place to live, it's not too bad, you just have to be extremely vigilant on the roads and hope you don't get taken out by a gang truck driver that's been working 7 on, 18+ hours a day and just got off with a case of beer in the back. Plus, as most independent young men can gripe at, I'd be moving back to really close to(or for a few months possibly) living WITH the parental units again.... While not bad, it certainly wouldn't be cool. geek

To answer your questions -

1. Not so much, no; it was a nice stable job after college, and looked good until I went from being an intern to full time. Now, not so much and these changes have made it worse.

2. If they do, I doubt anyone will see it for years.

Cart - I agree with you on all of it! I trust the guy who works for this company(whom I'd be working with) and who set up my interview, but I won't make any decisions until I see things signed off on paper first. I am skeptical of companies, and I'm hoping that my pay increase will help with my dreams down the road.... ie self-employment. I also understand what you mean by not making decisions for folks, I hate to do that myself! jocolor jocolor

Kyle - I like to think on something(if I have the time for it) for a week, before making any assumptions. I just trust my gut and see where I land after a week. So far, so good; the job itself hasn't scared me, it's been the stuff around it that makes me nervous. All in all, I guess that's not a bad place to be in at all!

And, believe it or not, I have my pipes as a vice... I think I'll be fine. Razz Razz

Carlos - This is what I'm trying to keep in mind! It's pretty dang hard sometimes though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 pm

my non-busy days having me still put in 9-11 hours, and getting to the point of where I'm approaching 6 to 7 days of regular work a week, not including our on-call schedules

what is there to think about?

do they at least give you a reach around while they are bending you over?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Bonus bonus toughts:

Regret of the past and fear of the (sometimes inevitable?) future can be over-thought with much the same result for either. This brave new world we live in might be a bit harrowing, but life's still pretty damn simple. It's us who complicate it.

I friggin' hate change, but I hate stagnation and indecision even more. Weird motivations; and whatever it takes to make it more satisfactory.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:
my non-busy days having me still put in 9-11 hours, and getting to the point of where I'm approaching 6 to 7 days of regular work a week, not including our on-call schedules

Ha! Nope... We got told once that, since we're salaried, our time is free. FREE. I know that in my field, often do we have extended hours and long days, but that doesn't mean that our time is free either.

Yet again, many good words of wisdom, Kyle. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:29 am

The company I worked for (for 30 years) restructured itself right out of existence.

You've got a good head on your shoulders, I'm sure things will work out for you.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 am

WarlockBob wrote:
Ha! Nope... We got told once that, since we're salaried, our time is free. FREE. I know that in my field, often do we have extended hours and long days, but that doesn't mean that our time is free either.

That's not necessarily true...

Check out the Fair Labor Standards at the US Dept of Labor website, you may be entitled to overtime compensation if you are not exempt from the rules (there's a pretty good list of exemptions, but I don't know what you do to give you further information).

If you are not exempt, you could get all that back-OT-pay and leave what appears to be an increasingly terrible job, with a good chunk of change in your pocket. Of course you'd have to be able to demonstrate you were working long hours (computer activity, emails, etc.)

Good luck man, hopefully the coffee that's on its way can help you power through Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
Bullwinkle

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 am

WarlockBob wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

Yet again, many good words of wisdom, Kyle. Thank you!

you might want to research that statement.. maybe or maybe not depending
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 am

Pozz, Bullwinkle, they're smart about it... We work that many hours regularly, but after 5:30 or 6 and on weekends it's comprised of 'on-call' work, which being at home means that unless I can prove they absolutely require me to be home(technically they don't, I'll just get chewed out for not responding to tickets on time, among other things) then it doesn't count as extra time that requires compensation.... Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 am

Sometimes you have a job that pays the bills and does not do much else for you. Ideally you land in one that engages you on a couple of levels. In minstry we talk about "call," but sometimes you are just called for a season. I try to take Monday off, and it does not always work out, but if I had a job that intended me to work seven days a week, I would consider that a form of legal slavery.

When you are young, my counsel is to travel light and be mindful of the wisdom of the toddler. If you are not enjoying yourself, why are you doing it? You have to be aware of the resume and all, but I would not hesitate to pull up stakes if it is time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Bullwinkle

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:05 pm

I worked 40 years in IT so I understand the off hours, the weekends, the early morning when thing need to be done so as not to impact the business. I also understand on-call but in in all those years and about 12 of those years was for a retailer with the worse rep in town for slave driving their IT folks. 6 10 hours days was never even considered. sure on occasion you would hit a crappy week and put in a lot of hours but others 8 hour days with long lunches and gone by noon on friday. how long since you have used vacation time. I assume with those hours you are not married or have kids?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Bull, correct, I'm a single man; I have 6 or 7 days left out of my total 12 allotted... Planning on taking a full week real soon, but I've never been able to take more than 1 or 2 in a row so far. If we do get to leave early on a holiday, it's at 4:45 or 4:50; lunches are most definitely mandated to an hour, though no complains if you take a short one... I normally start my workday around 7:30, try to get off at 5(normally closer to 5:15-5:30 on regular days) and then when I'm on call it's straight to the house to watch stuff until 10 AT LEAST, or if I'm on the 24/7 second tier support phone (for a week at a time is this one) then I really get to watch things from 10pm to 6am, and start all over again. That's on easy days, and days I'm not on the road for work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 pm

WarlockBob wrote:
Bull, correct, I'm a single man; I have 6 or 7 days left out of my total 12 allotted... Planning on taking a full week real soon, but I've never been able to take more than 1 or 2 in a row so far. If we do get to leave early on a holiday, it's at 4:45 or 4:50; lunches are most definitely mandated to an hour, though no complains if you take a short one... I normally start my workday around 7:30, try to get off at 5(normally closer to 5:15-5:30 on regular days) and then when I'm on call it's straight to the house to watch stuff until 10 AT LEAST, or if I'm on the 24/7 second tier support phone (for a week at a time is this one) then I really get to watch things from 10pm to 6am, and start all over again. That's on easy days, and days I'm not on the road for work.

If you are mandated to take and unpaid for your 1-hour lunch break and you are interrupted at any point during that lunch break to do work, then you are entitled to be paid for that hour. An employer cannot require you to take an unpaid break, then ask you to work during the unpaid hour. That's violation of wage and labor laws.

Since you are in IT, check out this page http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.htm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: Possible shakeup with my personal life   Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Interesting... Thanks Nathan!

Luckily, I have my interview for this other place November 14th. Talking to my contact there, it sounds more like a formality for them and a chance for me to see some hard figures on paper than a true interview. They liked me on my phone interview! I'll be able to get out of this place then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Possible shakeup with my personal life
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1