HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Shaving soap recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks Doc I use bearded jacks soap. I was just wondering if monbla was having trouble finding the soap as he has been using it for such a long time. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Back in October I was at my local Walgreens and the lady at the counter told me when I went up to buy one bar of it that it was being discontinued and all they had was what was on the shelf. I went back and got the remaining 8 boxes of it so now have 9 bars sitting in my cabinet. I use a bar of it each year so now have 9 years worth and will begin picking up more when I can find 'em !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 pm

SPUD 15 wrote:
Thanks Doc I use  bearded jacks soap.  I was just wondering if monbla was having trouble finding the soap as he has been using it for such a long time.  MIKE

I just found 6 more at e-barbershop on the web so I now have 15 pucks which ought to last me the rest of my life !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Williams; I found two 6-packs on line and ordered them up. If I run out of those I'll just grow a beard sunny .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, non-tallow-based soap?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, non-tallow-based soap?

Is there a particular reason you need a non tallow based soap? Here's some info about some of the myths about tallow based soaps:        http://sharpologist.com/2012/05/7-common-tallow-soap-myths.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Because I want one without tallow.

I happened to read that not long before posting, and while it is nice and all, when I've looked at ingredients on the sides of packages, there's no way to tell if they're beef tallow, an industrialized bastardization of the term, or what. So, for now, if it says tallow, it is beef tallow. I'd like to find a cheap one. What's cheap? I'm not sure yet, because I'm sure it is relative. Maybe not including tallow makes it a niche, pricey product. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Because I want one without tallow.

I happened to read that not long before posting, and while it is nice and all, when I've looked at ingredients on the sides of packages, there's no way to tell if they're beef tallow, an industrialized bastardization of the term, or what.  So, for now, if it says tallow, it is beef tallow.  I'd like to find a cheap one.  What's cheap?  I'm not sure yet, because I'm sure it is relative.  Maybe not including tallow makes it a niche, pricey product.  We'll see.

I'm guessing that you are a vegan and don't want to use any meat products? I've seen some at different sites but they are VERY pricey, in the $20 to $40 range per puck !! Way above my price range for shaving for sure !! You might want to try these flks as they make all their soaps in Arizona :

http://wetshavingproducts.com/

Hope you find some !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Mordechaj wrote:
I'm very satisfied with this one:

Hey, this stuff actually works! Lathers like crazy with a brush and smells really great. Doesn't have anywhere near as much body as quality creams and stuff, but it will deliver a very pleasant shave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:04 pm

I shave once or twice a week (neck and cheekbones, the rest is bearded), and for now it looks like this one bar of soap will last me a lifetime! Been shaving like that for two straight years now, and it's still almost as out-of-the-box. Laughing

That and a simple safety razor, where a packet of blades lasts several years for me.

If only I could get back all the money sunk in stupid multirazor shavers, creams and other crap that cost more and shaves worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:57 pm

I standfirm with Monsieur Monbla! After running through $$$$ in the eighties when I was young and still chiselfaced I used various expensive scented tubs of shaving creams, GEO F TRUMPER being my favorite brand. Now I'm a wise older man with what looks like sagging jowls approaching and I've got a stockpile of 7 Williams mug shaving soap sitting on my upper bathroom shelf with the one tub I use firmly plantedin an ancient wooden tub from those bygone halcyon days when some fancy-schmancy cream came ensconced in its own wooden tub with cover. the varnish is mostly allworn off , the label completely gone, the patina approaching bleached driftwood/railroad tie......at long last I'm living the dream!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:06 am

Being a confirmed Williams user all these years, and now having acquired a lifetime supply of this fine soap. another that I've tried recently, and would reccomend is a soap made by ebarbershop.com . They produce a line of 2 1/2 " dia. pucks made with shea butter which I've found lathered as well as my beloved Williams. My daughter bought some for me this past Fritmas and I would reccomend it as it sells at a nice reasonable price of $22.95 for 3 pucks which breaks down to $7.65 ea. Far more resonable than some of the multi-dollar soaps everyone seems to reccomend these days. It comes in several scents and I got the Bay Rum version as I'm a Pinaud Bay Rum after shave user.
http://www.ebarbershop.com/ebarbershop-classic-bay-rum-shave-soap-set-3.html

they are great folks to deal with BTW. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm currently using a L'Occitane Cade puck.  Like my contribution to the brushes thread, being my first shave soap I've got nothing to compare it to, but I can say it certainly seems to perform very well.  

I shake all the water out of the Plisson brush leaving it wet but not dripping then load up the brush with 30 secs of swirling on the puck.  I then tip the hot water out of my shave bowl and the water that's left is enough to create a rich, creamy lather within a minute or so.  It feels great on the face and provides a smooth nicely lubed shave experience.  

I reckon I'll look at something like Proraso or Cella next as they're readily available in Blighty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Plisson! THAT's the brand name of my brush! Thanks very much, Stick, for jogging my aging my memory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:44 am

Been using Tabac for the last few weeks. Got this as a gift a couple christmases ago (the puck inside the lidded white glass jar) and didn't get along with the strong fragrance. Now the scent has faded some from sitting and I like it quite a bit, and the stuff lathers wonderfully. Went through a couple tubes of Musgo cream this last year and they are really very good. Liked it a lot more than Proraso, but they're quite a bit more expensive. Still, after a couple years of trying this and that, the smart money is on the block of Cella. Double bag it and keep it in the fridge, cut off chunks as you need it, sucker will probably last 3 or 4 years and is as good as anything else I've tried.

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
...Still, after a couple years of trying this and that, the smart money is on the block of Cella. Double bag it and keep it in the fridge, cut off chunks as you need it, sucker will probably last 3 or 4 years and is as good as anything else I've tried.

Got one, I agree, and I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:01 pm

I picked up some Kiss My Face 4 in 1 Cool Mint. I went with it for various reasons. I bowl lather it with a little water. I like it quite a bit. The best thing about it is how well it moisturizes, but it's downside is that there isn't a lot of residual slickness. You have to reapply it if you're going to keep hitting an area. I'm getting great shaves with it, but I wish it acted a little more like a soap with residual slickness. I have to say I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion. I'm really new to this. I'll keep using it until its gone, but then I think I'm going to try some K Shave Worx. I like their story, and they're getting some good reviews. They appear to be a good value, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:12 am

Picked up a Palmolive shave stick from an overseas shop for a whopping $3 including shipping. Great product, better than I expected. Wet face, rub the end of stick into your stubble, brush out with a damp brush. Simple as can be and produces a very, very good lather. Scent is very minimal and agreeable. I'd rate this higher than a lot of the other high dollar soaps I've tried.

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:45 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Picked up a Palmolive shave stick from an overseas shop for a whopping $3 including shipping. Great product, better than I expected. Wet face, rub the end of stick into your stubble, brush out with a damp brush. Simple as can be and produces a very, very good lather. Scent is very minimal and agreeable. I'd rate this higher than a lot of the other high dollar soaps I've tried.

A broher gifted me s stick of the Arco recently and after trying it (using the same way you did the Palmolive), I'd have to say it;s an astounding value, both price and shaving wise. And it's available from a wide variety of sources! If I didn't know have a supply of My beloved Williams I think I'd go with the Arco . JMHO Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:35 am

BUMP

I have tried just about everything from Spain, England, Italy, and a lot of small artisan soap makers and the more I shave the easier it is to know what's right for me.

In order: (seriously)

Cold River Soap Works. For me, everything else is a distant second.

Tim's Soap (stopped production, aside from special events, charities, etc) I'v got enough Greek Peach to last, so it's cool.

Barrister & Mann

Mitchell's Wool Fat

K's Shave Worx

There's always a Cella hanging around.

Someone mentioned HEAT as the most important ingredient when during prep or while shaving.

I spent to weeks on a small island in Greece and cold-shaved the ENTIRE TIME.

My shaves were SUPERB and beyond refreshing. The soap was Ballenclaugh "Summertime." (bright citrus with grapefruit forward scent, coupled with some rose and cedar)

Voila

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Shaving soap recommendation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3