HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Shaving soap recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 am

Been using g Taylors of Old Bond Street, coconut for the past few months. Using a blob just the size of a pea it produces a thick and creamy lather enough for 2 - 3 passes. Lubes nicely too and the scent is only subtle. Will definitely be buying again. Recommended!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:39 am

D.R. Harris Windsor. A touch spendy, but worth it for the scent alone--a day starter type of thing. Your estimate may vary, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I have not tried Arko, but Williams is what piqued my interest from canned foam to soaps. Someone had gifted me a Williams puck, and while I did not have a brush, I got nice enough results from just lathering it in my hands like a regular soap to realize soaps were a bump up from the cans in regard to slickness. It dried my face out something awful, though (I have a very greasy face, so that is saying something when a product dries out my face). So I went about finding something else. Being frugal, it wasn't much more costly. I gained some performance and a lot of moisturizing. It proved to be worth the additional money. The whole time, I thought $20 and $30 for a shaving soap was absurd. Fast-forward a year plus, I was gifted samples of several $20+ soaps. The types of soaps I thought were insanely priced. Guess what? Again, I found better performance and even better moisturizing. The pricing wasn't entirely bvllshit. Now, whether that improved performance was worth 2-3Xs the price is up to each individual. My point is that it is worth exploring shaving soaps. They are not all created equal. A $20 soap is going to be better than a $10 soap, and a $10 soap is going to be better than a $2 soap.

Kiss My Face 4 in 1 continues to prove itself a great value. For $6 for 11oz, it performs as well as many of the $15 soaps I've tried, and it remains one of the best moisturizing soaps/creams I've tried. It leaves my face feeling like a baby's cheek. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm

One thing to remember, ALL of the reccomendations are based on how these soaps work for the individuals who use them. For example, the Williams soap dries out one persons face yet does not on mine. Pick one at a time, use the WHOLE puck before going to another so that you have a good idea how it works for you.. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:10 pm

monbla256 wrote:
One thing to remember, ALL of the reccomendations are based on how these soaps work for the individuals who use them. For example, the Williams soap dries out one persons face yet does not on mine. Pick one at a time, use the WHOLE puck before going to another so that you have a good idea how it works for you.

EXCELLENT ADVICE....👍👍👍

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm surprised this thread is still going, but I guess it is a good thing. Enjoyed reading it.

On my side, after three years of testing I've decided to go back to creams. Not that there is anything wrong with soaps, it's just that creams are much easier to use. Performance wise, I find them all to be similar.

I bought many, many soaps in these last three years. Some were very good, others not so good, none was bad. But, because I bought so many and had to store them, some went bad in storage. Never had a cream go bad. Well, I suppose the lesson is to use the whole puck before buying the next one. Occasionally, I'll still use some of the pucks that are good and that I specially like. It was great fun to try so many new things, but I'm done with the experiment and back to shaving as usual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nismo270r

Registration date : 2011-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
I'm surprised this thread is still going, but I guess it is a good thing. Enjoyed reading it.

On my side, after three years of testing I've decided to go back to creams. Not that there is anything wrong with soaps, it's just that creams are much easier to use. Performance wise, I find them all to be similar.

I bought many, many soaps in these last three years. Some were very good, others not so good, none was bad. But, because I bought so many and had to store them, some went bad in storage. Never had a cream go bad. Well, I suppose the lesson is to use the whole puck before buying the next one. Occasionally, I'll still use some of the pucks that are good and that I specially like. It was great fun to try so many new things, but I'm done with the experiment and back to shaving as usual.

I too find creams easier to use with essentially the same performance, especially if you're within the same brand. I have some soaps in storage as well, so I'm curious how yours went bad. Last I checked, mine were looking okay, but now I want to go through them all to double-check everything. Were the ones you had in storage used or new?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Shaving soap recommendation   Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am

All of them were used. But they were stored in cool and dry conditions (Colorado weather) in my basement. A few examples from the top of my head:

Many of the soaps were fine, with little to no change. Many others were drier and showed some cracks, but were also fine. Some of the softer soaps hardened and shrank a bit.

The most common change is for the soaps to become darker and loose their scent. I ended up with several different soaps that smell the same. They still perform well.

There was a soap that not only lost its scent but also became granulated. It's like pimples appeared all over the soap.

Most of the soaps did not smell bad after loosing their scent except Cella. It still performed well, but it smelled bad.

Of all the soaps that went bad, only one lost its lathering abilities and became unusable as a shaving soap. The manufacturer doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

On retrospect, I had one cream also change with time. It is an Indian cream, Biotique Palmyra. It became harder and slightly darker, but it kept its smell and still performs wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Shaving soap recommendation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4