HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Why do we all love Peterson so much?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:24 am

Another aspect of this is that Peterson is one of a very small group of pipe making firms from what many consider the "Classic Period" still in business today, and this gives the firms products a certain "aura" many newer firms don't and will not have !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

I like mine, but they're not my top favorites.
My first pipe was a Pete. I have five of
em now, fortunately only one P-Lip. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Is this where someone posts the old "It's a Peterson thing; if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" Very Happy ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:59 pm

I have a baker's dozen of Petes. My faves are 999, 80s, 408, 150, 03. The peculiar thing about Petes is the "pass a cleaner" business.  All my Pete's of the aforementioned models pass a cleaner. However, they do so intermittently. They may pass a cleaner on first try and then do so only after repeated attempts, or they may just not be in the mood at the time. But I do like my Petes a lot, partially because of the marque's long tradition. The one time I had a clear defect in a new Pete, Angela Fortune, at Sallynoggin (sp?), was wonderful. My older Petes seem to have better finishes and stamping than the newer ones. That could be an opinion that has a lot to do having more older Petes than new ones. I've even grown accustomed to the P-lip, though I still have a preference for the fishtail. Petes are real value choices, imho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

Almost all my Petes were bought new in the '70s. I also have a pre-Republic that I just love. The new ones I have are the Dracula and the Mark Twain I just picked up in Ireland.

I don't recall any of my '70s pipes as having any bowl coating back then and they were a son of a bitch to break in. I do remember at least some of the old ones I have had stain IN the bowls which made for an interesting experience until I got some miles on them. The pipe cleaner test doesn't work with the system pipes because of the deep well and the sharp angle of the draft hole into the bowl. Even my 70s Irish Army billiard system pipe has a small well under the tobacco chamber of the bowl with the draught hole sitting a bit above what one would think would be the bottom of the bowl. It's also hard to pass a cleaner through the P-lip stem because of the initial curve after the button.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flyguy

Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm

My number one consideration is how the pipe smokes. I own 2 Peterson System Standard 302s that are the best smokers in my entire collection. I reach for them constantly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I like my Petes though I only have 2 both picked out by my son for me as birthday gifts when he was a young teen. Both are great smokers though the Killarney bent rhodie has something strange going on with the ring on the mortise but I'll need to start a thread about that problem elsewhere when I can take some photos.

Anyway, I ordered a Peterson System Standard XL315 estate from Viking on Friday night. I was browsing pipes online, my wife saw this one and said buy it. I immediately did of course having been well trained to respond to female voice commands. Embarassed She just loves Sherlock Holmes, as do I, and decided I needed a similar pipe; who am I to argue?

I have 16 oz. of P&W #515 just waiting for my new arrival.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:32 pm

RobJ wrote:
....... my wife saw this one and said buy it. I immediately did of course having been well trained to respond to female voice commands ; who am I to argue

Never argue with your wife, you know women are always right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Why do we all love Peterson so much?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Absolutely. I have four sisters so by the time she got me in high school the fundamentals were well in place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why do we all love Peterson so much?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2