HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What are your must-have production pipe brands?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Illini Libertarian

Registration date : 2014-10-23

PostSubject: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:50 am

I'm always amazed at the number of pipe brands/makers when I'm browsing for a new acquisition. I own a Charatan and a Peterson and have a Savinelli on the way. I'm also considering a Stanwell. They are all estates produced from the 20's to the 60's. I spend anywhere from $50 to $150 a pipe. By buying estates, I feel like I can get higher quality for lower prices.

Anyway,if you could own only half a dozen brands, which would they be? Are there countries of origin you prefer?

Some day I may get into some ultra premiums and low production carvers, but first I want to establish a good solid collection of recognized brands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am

At one point I had 38 pipes.. About 20 of them were estate Stanwells, the rest were gifts from family/friends.   

I'm sure there will be others that point you in different directions...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:49 am

I'm a Savinelli fan and have 14 of them in my collection of which 8 are Punt Oro's. You can buy any Sav with eyes closed. I also love Stanwell and Brebbia pipes and have a number of them in my collection.

As for English pipes, I collect OLD Parkers and Sasieni Old England's . They are superb smokers and I grab them whenever I find them on eBay.

As for really high quality pipes, you can't go wrong with MM corn cobs. They are the best out there and easy to come by at a fair price. I'm serious about this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 am

Keep an eye out for older 'Parker' estate pipes, some fantastic Briar, not your top shelf Briar of course but very good none the less and the execution on form was excellent years ago, some folk know better than most and price them quite high at times but a lot of folk see them as nothing more than reject pipes and price them accordingly. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:38 am

Briar Spirit wrote:
Keep an eye out for older 'Parker' estate pipes, some fantastic Briar, not your top shelf Briar of course but very good none the less and the execution on form was excellent years ago, some folk know better than most and price them quite high at times but a lot of folk see them as nothing more than reject pipes and price them accordingly. Wink

Yes, I only collect OLD Parkers! I get them for cheap and they are superb smokers. People don't realise that and I reap the benefits Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 am

Speedy, I can second Sav seconds. Lol. Of the pipes I kept when I sold out a few years back Sav seconds were three of them.. Yes they hold sentimental value as gifts but they are in fact good smokes.

I had some pipes they made in the 90's and early 2000's with those crazy big buttons I despised.. No that's not strong enough I Hated them. It looks like they corrected that issue at some point. I have a Sav first coming next Wednesday, so I will comment again later.

Tell us more about Brebbia's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:18 am

puros_bran wrote:

Tell us more about Brebbia's.  

If you google History of Brebbia you will see that the first Brebbia pipes were sold under the Savinelli name. The fact that Savinelli agreed to allow this, is a big plus for me.

As I see it, there are some competion between Brebbia and Savinelli today and therefor both companies produce excellent pipes. This competion is good for the market because it keeps both companies on their toes.  

As far as quality is concerned, Brebbia might be slightly ahead of Savinelli but then they are more expensive than the Sav's as well.

I stick to the Sav's because they are more readely available on eBay.  But I will always grab a Brebbia when I can get it at a fair (to me) price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:07 am

I'd second wholeheartedly the reasons for Savinelli as for a currently made production pipe, they have probably the widest variety of QUALITY pipes both style and price wise. Depending on when they were made ( pre this or post that) most of the classic Brit makers would be another choice but one maker that I have ALWAY's liked has been BBB. I bought them back when they were new and still in business as well as used today. They used oil cured Algerian Briar and their "Thorneycroft" blasted pipes are some of my faves !! And so far they are still at an affordable price compared to many of the other classic Brit makers pipes . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:30 am

I have pipes made by many makers and from many countries but, I reckon I've really grown to love most Italian makers but, there certainly not all I look for. Truthfully, any quality made pipe that interests my eye and that I can afford is in trouble. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 am

Becker's and any Morta pipes.
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am

fishnbanjo wrote:
Becker's and any Morta pipes.
banjo

You forgot Bamboo shanked pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

One I forgot to mention as far as "used" pipes go are Charatans, one of the premier Brit firms. I know "... they are miss drilled golf clubs" as one of the EXPERTS here states, but I've bought them when new back in the early '70s and have found the Lane era ones to be some of the FINEST pipes I own! I'm not all that familiar with the current production product though. Oh well Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am

Missouri Meerschaum. There is no other "must have" I can think of. None.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Illini Libertarian

Registration date : 2014-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:45 pm

Thank you all for your feedback. I missed out on a good deal for both a Sav and a Brebbia that I could have had for under $40, but wasn't familiar with Brebbia so I passed. In my search for ONE Savinelli, I'll probably end up with at least two (will post pics once I receive them). I like the Italian makers like many of you have expressed. Any experience with Ascorti?

Definitely will be getting a Stanwell and a Sasieni. Will be researching Parker, Becker, and Mortar. Thanks brothers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ataki

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm

I can't really explain it, but I really prefer Estate Kaywoodies. Every one I've had has smoked perfectly, and the feel of history in an estate pipe is wonderful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Missouri Meerschaum.  There is no other "must have" I can think of.  None.

What I've said !

There is NOTHING to beat a cob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:35 pm

monbla256 wrote:
One I forgot to mention as far as "used" pipes go are Charatans, one of the premier Brit firms. I know "... they are miss drilled golf clubs" as one of the EXPERTS here states, but I've bought them when new back in the early '70s and have found the Lane era ones to be some of the FINEST pipes I own! I'm not all that familiar with the current production product though. Oh well Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I would love to own at least one Charatan but they always sell for high prices on e Bay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Savinelli.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:00 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Savinelli.

Can't go wrong with a Sav, new or estate, cheapie or expensive Very Happy

I bought a new Trevi 320ks couple of years ago for $52.00. Friend of mine liked it so much that I eventually traded it for one of his Punto Oro's.

It's now his most favourite pipe out of more than 60! He can't stop telling me how much he enjoys the pipe.

Needless to say, he's into Sav's now just the way I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Cavicchis and Stanwells.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 pm

mark wrote:
Cavicchis and Stanwells.

I missed the dirt cheap Cavicchis because I was underemployed or over married at the time and didn't have the extra dough.

But old Stanwells are hard to beat regardless the money spent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Psmith

Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 am

I have always been a fan of English made pipes. I would love to have a Dunhill one day but for now I have a number of BBB's, GBD, and Dr. Plumb. They all smoke really well and are easy to clean. Also I tend to favor english blends so there is something fitting about smoking them through a pipe made in England. I have my eye on a BBB Minerva straight billiard at the moment. When I have my pennies saved I shall buy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Big fan of the regulars Pete's & Sav's but another you might want to look at is Chacom. I only have one of there pipes and it's a older bent short 4 1/2"er that smokes like a dream despite it's length. One of my favorites. Looking for another when I find the right one to see if they are really that good of pipes or did I just get lucky with this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Hawker wrote:
Big fan of the regulars Pete's & Sav's but another you might want to look at is Chacom. I only have one of there pipes and it's a older bent short 4 1/2"er that smokes like a dream despite it's length. One of my favorites. Looking for another when I find the right one to see if they are really that good of pipes or did I just get lucky with this one.

Shhhhhh... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What are your must-have production pipe brands?    Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Bragging on a favorite pipe is like telling of a favorite getaway. Before long everyone else falls in love and it is no longer attainable.

You know those ugly glass pipes? Yep they are the best! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What are your must-have production pipe brands?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next