HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bowl Coatings... yes or no?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:53 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

I wonder why they WOULD do it?  Can't they just leave the bare wood bare in the first place Twisted Evil

I "forced" them to answer that way.  I said I didn't want to hear about how or why I shouldn't remove their coating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 am

Richard Burley wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

I wonder why they WOULD do it?  Can't they just leave the bare wood bare in the first place Twisted Evil

I "forced" them to answer that way.  I said I didn't want to hear about how or why I shouldn't remove their coating.

Good for you, young man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 am

I've been looking at a number of beautiful Petersons but then I remember the road tar coating.......

I will rather stick to Sav's and corn cobs
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 am

I coat my bowls unless asked not to. And I way prefer a coated bowl. I don't taste the difference, the pipe builds a cake way faster and I feel more secure.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 am

If you put two otherwise-identical pipes in front of me, one with a bowl coating and one without, I would reach for the without the coating. I have NO quantifiable reason for this and won't pretend to know more about it than I do - it's just a preference.

That said, if I saw a pipe I really liked and am considering purchasing, the presence of a bowl coating won't turn me away. In fact, the presence of a bowl coating is probably at the very bottom of points I consider when buying a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am

idbowman wrote:
That said, if I saw a pipe I really liked and am considering purchasing, the presence of a bowl coating won't turn me away.  In fact, the presence of a bowl coating is probably at the very bottom of points I consider when buying a pipe.

Another intelligent and reasonable response !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

monbla256 wrote:
idbowman wrote:
That said, if I saw a pipe I really liked and am considering purchasing, the presence of a bowl coating won't turn me away.  In fact, the presence of a bowl coating is probably at the very bottom of points I consider when buying a pipe.

I will by any pipe that I really like, coated or not coated, Peterson excluded. I'm not talking about their carbon coating, it's the DYE inside the bowl which makes it a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:43 pm

FWIW: Last year I was in a quandry whether to buy a Pete 80s smooth or the same in a blast. So I bought both:-) I sanded the bowl coating out of one, left the other coated and started smoking them. The blast was the one I sanded and it's had nothing in it to date but aged 965. I can puff on it empty and taste latikia. The smooth one with the Pete coating left intact isn't dedicated. According to my smoker's diary, the sanded bowl pipe broke in a bit faster and a bit more evenly. The coated bowl seemed to produce more goop on the pipe cleaner (dye?) and was slower to build cake at the bottom of the bowl. But at this point, both are performing completely satisfactorily, and I don't see that there's a plus one way or the other after break-in is complete. My break-in protocol was fill 'er up to the rim loosely, smoke slowly, if it goes out let it cool down, tamp lightly and light up again. No quarter or half fills. If I had my choice, I'd prefer no coating in a new pipe, but afer a dozen or so bowls, my experience doesn't indicate a better end result one way or the other. Whether the experiment was tilted by the tobacco used is more than I can say. Piper's Preference, I'd say. The best bowl coating I've experienced was in Phil Trypis pipes, and I'v heard that he used clay. My Trypis pipes all quickly built a nice, thin, even cake and smoked great from the first. RIP, Phil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:54 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
idbowman wrote:

I will by any pipe that I really like, coated or not coated, Peterson excluded.  I'm not talking about their carbon coating, it's the DYE inside the bowl which makes it a deal breaker.

Yes. I will probably never buy another new Peterson for this reason. Yuck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:21 am

After, say, a hundred smokes, does the bowl coating remain, topped by cake--or does it get consumed?  Seems like a negative, either way.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:31 pm

I prefer to coat my own bowl with a nice even layer of carbon. I have found the easiest way of doing this is with some high quality tobacco and some fire. The taste of the bare wood is quite enjoyable during the process.

I would hate to let a pipe carver cheat me out of the experience, by coating the bowl in an attempt to cover a tiny flaw, that doesn't amount to a hill of beans. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:38 pm

After nearly 30 years of not thinking about it, I find myself firmly in the "I don't care to think about it" camp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:43 pm

I just tried my first pipe with a bowl coating and I have to say I don't care for it but its not a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 pm

I've only had two pipes that were brand new, everything else I own was estate which I reamed to death when I bought them.

The two new ones were Brebbia and a Stanwell. Didn't have a problem with either of them for how they treated the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:47 am

ZeroContent wrote:
...everything else I own was estate which I reamed to death when I bought them. 

Hey, as long as you can fit a pencil in the chamber, the cake is fine. Laughing

Glad to see you post, ZC.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:14 am

It dawned on me that most of my pipes were bowl coated......

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 am

riff raff wrote:
It dawned on me that most of my pipes were bowl coated......

I received an Old England not long ago with a bowl coating better than yours!  I could not stick a pencil down the bowl. Got it off eBay for $10

But, being a Sasieni, it cleaned up perfectly with no ill effects.

Turned out an excellent smoker eventually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Bowl Coatings... yes or no?   Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Cheap old bastards smokin' their shag baccy one narrow strip at a time. Laughing

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bowl Coatings... yes or no?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2