HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Is the purchaser buying a name? Is it kind of like the Beatles, White Album? I can definitely see this carver makes some very beautiful pipes, but I really can't see any difficult workmanship in this particular pipe, yet the price is actually higher than his other pipes. Why? It is very unique, but I could never imagine myself smoking it. What do you guys think? Also notice his "reverse calabash barrel" on the same page. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:58 pm

It's not as easy as it looks painting one of those 'carve your own pipe' kits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:59 pm

puros_bran wrote:
It's not as easy as it looks  painting one of those 'carve your own pipe' kits.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm

But, but, 'Murica!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Fatman wrote:
But, but, 'Murica!

Laughing You got a point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Now THAT is a TRUE ARTISON pipe !! I'd say it DEFINES that whole field of pipe making cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Definitely a clencher. Laughing

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:20 am

Funny. I saw that today and had myself a bit of a chuckle. I even considered posting something similar, but I didn't want to offend. Hey to each his own, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:36 am

Someone obviously thinks there name is worth something.
It'll surely be a hard one to live down when they finally wake up.
Maybe even more so for the person that buys it. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:26 am

I have a thing like that in my kitchen. We use it to tenderise our steaks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:11 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
I have a thing like that in my kitchen.  We use it to tenderise our steaks

This actually rings true, at least in that it looks like that hammer one uses to pound meat. I'm scratching my head on this one as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:53 pm

If it were stamped "Anne Julie" or "Chonowitsch" it'd go for ten times that. Rolling Eyes

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:05 pm

It looks like a cartoon pipe from the '50s to me. but then I've never been know to appreciate the "avant garde " so maybe I just don't get it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Some collector will buy it happily. The joy comes from telling people the price. If that doesn't work, mention the name of the maker. If that doesn't work, get snide, and call the unimpressed "philistines." Rinse and repeat as necessary. Artists like to get paid, too. I love you More power to 'em. :emperorsnewclothes:

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm

RobJ wrote:
It looks like a cartoon pipe from the '50s to me. but then I've never been know to appreciate the "avant garde " so maybe I just don't get it.

Good pipe for Captain America, perhaps. But then again, Captain America doesn't smoke. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Some  collector will buy it happily.   The joy comes from telling people the price.   If that doesn't work, mention the name of the maker.   If that doesn't work, get snide, and call the unimpressed "philistines."   Rinse and repeat as necessary.   Artists like to get paid, too.   I love you   More power to 'em.   :emperorsnewclothes:

Cool  

You forgot the private forum where like-minded people only can appreciate what's really good. Cool

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Fatman wrote:
But, but, 'Murica!
And only to be smoked on July 4! cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999

What Exactly About This Pipe Demands Such a High Price?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1