HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Fundraiser for a Friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TreverT

Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 pm

HELP NEEDED!
A good friend of mine is in some financial trouble. He's a young guy working hard to get out of the McJobs-and-Ramen stage of life. His parents are missionaries and out of the country, and he's on his own. He's just been hit with some unexpected financial catastrophes and is in a bad way, and I want to help out.

This is not a charity drive or a relief fund for a cause, this is strictly local-level, "Help out one young dude who's struggling to get a start on life". I think most of us have been there, and can remember well those days when we had to stretch $10 for two weeks.

HERE'S THE DEAL:
I am donating this $193 grade 4 Ligne Bretagne natural-finish smooth to this lottery. A $10 donation will buy you one ticket in the hat. In about a week, I'll draw the winning name from the hat and somebody out there will win a *really* beautiful Ligne Bretagne for the price of a KFC dinner. The more money we can raise, the more we can help. You get a chance at a great pipe for an unbeatable price, and you get to help out somebody who's struggling, plus my thanks for your generosity.

GO to this link, click the "Donate" button, and it will give you a readymade $10 ticket. You can pay by bank card, credit card, Paypal account, etc. BE SURE to enter your email address so I'll be able to contact you if you win!!!

And - THANK YOU very much for your help and kindness! Those of you who donate will be helping to make a big difference for someone.

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/bretagne-catalog/14141lb.shtml

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.talbertpipes.com/
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Done!

Great offer, way fantastic pipe, and worthy cause. Thanks for this opportunity to help Trevor.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Done!

Great offer, way fantastic pipe, and worthy cause. Thanks for this opportunity to help Trevor.

Cheers,

RR

Thank you very much! I don't think it's overstating it to say that this may very well make the difference in keeping a young guy off the streets for this Christmas.

I'm thinking I may make a goofy video to go with the drawing, when it's closed. I really do have a hat full of names sitting here on the desk now.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I cry bull hockey on the video!!!!! The only way to have a fair drawing is to have Baragon draw, anything other than that highly esteemed member drawing the name will be at least indicative of foul play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Done. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Done! I pray this guy gets what he needs to succeed in life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:56 am

puros_bran wrote:
I cry bull hockey on the video!!!!! The only way to have a fair drawing is to have Baragon draw, anything other than that highly esteemed member drawing the name will be at least indicative of foul play.

Believe it or not... I've got a stop motion app on my iPad and have already shot two brief stop motion videos of Baragon, animated. I was already turning over in my head the idea of a quickie stop motion vid to connect to the drawing somehow...
Back to top Go down
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:59 am

beardedbassguy wrote:
Done! I pray this guy gets what he needs to succeed in life.

Thank you, me too. He's a good kid. If it's any consolation, I would not be risking everyone's donations if I thought it was going to get pissed away on drugs or booze. His hope is to pay his rent as far in advance as possible, buy a lot of Ramen noodles, and work his ass off to get back in good standing. That attitude, I can totally support, and am happy to be able to.
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:04 am

Done. All the best to your friend. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:29 am

Done! (TWICE!!!! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Baragon. Enjoy some test footage... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Donation sent!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:24 pm

TreverT wrote:
Re: Baragon.  Enjoy some test footage...  Very Happy

Oh man! I love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Done! I hope that he is blessed and gets what he needs (hopefully more than just ramen noodles). I have been there, and done that. No fun. Good for him for working hard to get back on his feet. Its a rough road. I will keep him in my prayers too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:27 am

Done. This is what we are about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:11 am

Done. Happy to help out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I regret to jump in here with a big cold wet blanket, but this thread may well be illegal according to site regulations. In the past, threads that had fundraising as a goal and/or were raffle oriented have not been allowed. In addition, members wishing to initiate threads of this nature have always been required to contact admin to explain what they were doing and request permission to go ahead...which has not been done.

While we certainly respect the work, membership and histories of those involved here, in order to obtain a ruling I have asked council members to continue the review which was already taking place.

- Blackhorse - BoB Site Moderator

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I regret to jump in here with a big cold wet blanket, but this thread may well be illegal according to site regulations. In the past, threads that had fundraising as a goal and/or were raffle oriented have not been allowed. In addition, members wishing to initiate threads of this nature have always been required to contact admin to explain what they were doing and request permission to go ahead...which has not been done.

While we certainly respect the work, membership and histories of those involved here, in order to obtain a ruling I have asked council members to continue the review which was already taking place.

- Blackhorse - BoB Site Moderator

Oh, dang.  Sorry about that.  I just figured, it's a fundraiser, it should be OK.  I'll pull the thread if you want, or you guys can.  Did not mean to cause offense.  I probably should have contacted the mods first but there was a sizable element of time-crisis involved here, where the friend in question was needing some money *fast* just to stay in his apartment... ergo, I was in a rush to put this together and get the notices posted as quickly as possible.  Mostly I was just hoping that my business rep and established history in the hobby would be enough to back up this not being a typical scam artist-type thing.

Edit: The downside of pulling the thread that I can see is that those who have donated would then all have to go to our Facebook page to keep tabs on the raffle as it progresses, since I could not post updates here.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Mr. T. - no one anywhere thinks you are a scam artist. But in light of your and other threads that touch on this theme Admin needs to discuss how to best approach it. It takes a while to get the "other wizards" from behind their curtains...but soon.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Mr. T. - no one anywhere thinks you are a scam artist. But in light of your and other threads that touch on this theme Admin needs to discuss how to best approach it. It takes a while to get the "other wizards" from behind their curtains...but soon.

What about a dedicated section of the board *solely* for fundraisers and such, with each post vetted by mods? It does seem a shame to completely ban stuff like this, though I'm aware of just how skeezy many of these sorts of things are. It's a delicate balance you guys have to handle, no doubt.

For my part, my one main concern going forward is whether or not I should post updates here, like I said above. The fundraiser has gone well, well enough that I'm going to see about adding in some extra goodies to the raffle if possible, and I'm thinking about doing a little "Thank you" video of the drawing and such, at the end.
Back to top Go down
TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:13 pm

FYI for everyone, there are several bits of good news on this front! First, it's been really successful and brought in more than I ever expected, and the upshot is that the kid is going to have a warm home through Christmas and January, so he's got some solid time to pound the pavement hard looking for extra income and with lots of places hiring seasonal help, odds are better.

Also, I talked with Larry at Pipe & Pint today, and we're going to video the drawing at their shop. Tobacco blender Pete Pike is going to tell a joke or two and it will probably be pretty ridiculously silly. In even better news, Pipe & Pint is going to throw in some extra incentives as prizes! Larry is going to look around the shop and see what he can put in for extra goodies, like tampers, some of their house blends, etc. So, rather than it being a hundred guys in the drawing for one pipe, now it will be a hundred guys in the drawing for a pipe and second, third, fourth place winners, "honorable mentions", etc. I don't know exactly what he'll be putting in yet because he's going to pick out some stuff today or tomorrow, but I'll post when the extra prizes are set.

So, all in all, thanks much to those who have participated and helped out, it's made a difference, more donations are still welcome, and now there are even more prizes to win. The news is all good. cheers
Back to top Go down
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

TreverT wrote:
FYI for everyone, there are several bits of good news on this front!  First, it's been really successful and brought in more than I ever expected, and the upshot is that the kid is going to have a warm home through Christmas and January, so he's got some solid time to pound the pavement hard looking for extra income and with lots of places hiring seasonal help, odds are better.  

Also, I talked with Larry at Pipe & Pint today, and we're going to video the drawing at their shop.  Tobacco blender Pete Pike is going to tell a joke or two and it will probably be pretty ridiculously silly.  In even better news, Pipe & Pint is going to throw in some extra incentives as prizes!  Larry is going to look around the shop and see what he can put in for extra goodies, like tampers, some of their house blends, etc.  So, rather than it being a hundred guys in the drawing for one pipe, now it will be a hundred guys in the drawing for a pipe and second, third, fourth place winners, "honorable mentions", etc.  I don't know exactly what he'll be putting in yet because he's going to pick out some stuff today or tomorrow, but I'll post when the extra prizes are set.  

So, all in all, thanks much to those who have participated and helped out, it's made a difference, more donations are still welcome, and now there are even more prizes to win. The news is all good.  cheers

Yay! Having been in a similar situation in my life, I understand his ordeal. But I didn't have awesome pipe people to help me. I'm glad you and the community came through for him, and pray he finds more than just "extra income". Also, I'm exited for the drawing jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:18 pm

I want to step in here briefly and make an administrative comment.

We do have a policy about functions being approved by the mod team before allowing them to happen. We noticed this thread right away and were lax in discussing it promptly. Normally we'd lock or remove such a thing until we decided if it was appropriate. I think we just kind of let it slide because of Trevors rep in the community and because of the good nature of the intent of the event. However, in the future, as we have done in the past, if anyone is going to promote or operate any kind of fund raiser or similar function it has to be presented to the admin team before it will be allowed. It's not for concieted reasons, it's because of liability in case things go south, and because we have rules that we mods have to follow as operators of the forum per the host/forum owners conditions.

TreverT

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Yeah, like I told someone today by PM, I feel bad for putting you mod guys on the spot with this. I should have contacted you first and gone through channels. The thing is, this was pretty much an emergency when I found out about it so I was rushing to try and get some cash coming in for the guy as fast as possible, and didn't think it out in advance enough. It was just, "OK, he needs money for back rent MONDAY", that kind of deal.

(As an aside, this is another reason I'm doing this. I mentioned earlier that I would not be pouring everyone's money away if I thought the kid would blow it on drugs or drink. In the same vein, he doesn't tend to talk about his problems and is usually pretty private, not a guy that is constantly in crisis or whining, so when I did finally find out how bad things were, the situation was already pretty far along)

I appreciate some of the messages of support I've gotten too, and I really hope no one is thinking the mods are being hard-asses about this. Fundraising and scam artists are practically synonymous, unfortunately. Mad All you have to do is look at how Kickstarter has evolved/devolved, from, "Here's a chance to buy stock in a new product with these assets and this potential", to "I wanna be an artist and don't want to have to work a day job, send me money." I've got a blog on Tumblr and am regularly kind of amazed at how many people have "Donate" buttons on their sites that are, you know, not actually FOR any cause, just for themselves... "I refuse to support the capitalistic system by working, please send me your money", and that kind of crap.

Anyway, my apologies that it became something of a minor flap, but my thanks to both the mods and all the supporters for letting it carry on.
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fundraiser for a Friend   Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Awesome Baragon stuff....

Well it's actually pretty juvenile, but eh, I love it anyway, sometimes we need the kid in our heart rekindled a little bit. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Fundraiser for a Friend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next