HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Charatan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TMacphersonNH

avatar

Age : 51
Location : New Hope, PA
Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 pm

I was on eBay and saw this Charatan Acorn. It captured my eye but I was wondering about the "xxx'd" out name. Was this common for the brand? Not knowing enough, I thought I'd check with the experts.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CHARATAN-S-MAKE-319DC-Acorn-Gorgeous-Birdseye-xxxd-out-/221595156835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339819c163
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
TMacphersonNH

avatar

Age : 51
Location : New Hope, PA
Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.

Thanks Cart! I assumed it was a second and the OP has a story of Dunhill striking out the Charatan name for those same reasons. Was just wondering if that a.) rings true and b.) what time period that might be. Thanks again for your quick reply!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:21 pm

TMacphersonNH wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.

Thanks Cart! I assumed it was a second and the OP has a story of Dunhill striking out the Charatan name for those same reasons. Was just wondering if that a.) rings true and b.) what time period that might be. Thanks again for your quick reply!

I'm sorry, I reckon I didn't read your question well enough. Charatan are kinda tough to date sometimes but, I would think it having a reg. number would put it early before Dunhill.
Although I've read things like the Lane employees after Dunhill took over would mis-mark some of the pipes like "Special" instead of "Supreme" so Dunhill would loose money on them. Don't know how true that is though.
Charatan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
TMacphersonNH

avatar

Age : 51
Location : New Hope, PA
Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:31 pm

Awesome. Thank you sir!

Cartaphilus wrote:
TMacphersonNH wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Having a Stanwell that has this done to it I would assume it means it was deemed a second before leaving the factory.

Thanks Cart! I assumed it was a second and the OP has a story of Dunhill striking out the Charatan name for those same reasons. Was just wondering if that a.) rings true and b.) what time period that might be. Thanks again for your quick reply!

I'm sorry, I reckon I didn't read your question well enough. Charatan are kinda tough to date sometimes but, I would think it having a reg. number would put it early before Dunhill.
Although I've read things like the Lane employees after Dunhill took over would mis-mark some of the pipes like "Special" instead of "Supreme" so Dunhill would loose money on them. Don't know how true that is though.
Charatan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 pm

If that's a second, I can't see why, and apparently neither could anyone who finished and stamped it up until the time it was X'ed. I'm thinkin' it means something else. I had one exactly like that from the '70s, except it had a tapered bit. It was an awesome smoker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Charatan    Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:46 am

TMacphersonNH wrote:
I was on eBay and saw this Charatan Acorn. It captured my eye but I was wondering about the "xxx'd" out name. Was this common for the brand? Not knowing enough, I thought I'd check with the experts.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CHARATAN-S-MAKE-319DC-Acorn-Gorgeous-Birdseye-xxxd-out-/221595156835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339819c163

When Dunhill bought out Charatan in the md '80s, they began x ing out the stamping on many if not all the lower priced standard models and merely adding x's to the higher end models as they let the marque die. They still own Charatan and have most of the lower end models made by various makers in France and now are making the High End Freehands , Executive and up , models made by a select few carvers in the Dunhill factory now. Look carefully and you might see an L in a circle on the pipe which would indicate a late Lane production pipe, one of the "good" ones as they say. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Charatan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: