HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Got my pipe back from Norwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:35 pm

PS nice post George.

One of the other things I'll mention here is the preponderance of "Can you fix this for 11 dollars please?" sorts of pipe repairs there are. It's a big jump when someone sends in a real nice piece and wants real good work (and will pay for it). One advantage of being a carver is that I set my target buying group, build what I want to build, and put it out there. The repairman is always working against the value of the pipe in real dollars, or the value of the pipe in terms of keepsake/memento. Do I spend a whole day and hand cut a stem for a 12 dollar Dr Grabow? Hell no. Not usually anyhow. Then of course there is the guy who DOES want that and will pay just crazy for it. So you never know as a repair guy what the hell you face, how well it will work, and you constantly run the risk of wrecking someone's prized possession. In other words: thanks but no thanks!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
PS nice post George.  

One of the other things I'll mention here is the preponderance of "Can you fix this for 11 dollars please?" sorts of pipe repairs there are.   It's a big jump when someone sends in a real nice piece and wants real good work (and will pay for it).  One advantage of being a carver is that I set my target buying group, build what I want to build, and put it out there.   The repairman is always working against the value of the pipe in real dollars, or the value of the pipe in terms of keepsake/memento.   Do I spend a whole day and hand cut a stem for a 12 dollar Dr Grabow?  Hell no.   Not usually anyhow.  Then of course there is the guy who DOES want that and will pay just crazy for it.   So you never know as a repair guy what the hell you face, how well it will work, and you constantly run the risk of wrecking someone's prized possession.   In other words:  thanks but no thanks!  

Sanity and common sense has returned to the pipe world. About time! A great way to end one year and begin another. Thanks for posting. cheers

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:56 pm

In my previous post, I opened with this:

Quote :
In the pipe repair world, for reasons lost to history, the output of repair shops is viewed as a consumer commodity in the same way as tires, toasters, or cameras.

After thinking about it (it was originally written a couple years ago), the reason actually seems pretty clear.

Pipes were considered consumables, never mind their stems.  An analogy would be soles for shoes, or tires for cars.  A temporary tool, object, or thing, which was composed of parts that didn't age equally.  In the first 2/3rds of the 20th century, a car might see three or four sets of tires before the car itself was discarded, and shoes were usually re-soled a couple times before the uppers wore out.

So it was with pipes.  So-called "estate" pipes simply didn't exist until the 1980's, and pipes---with the exception of a handful of higher grade Charatans & etc, cased sets, and presentation pieces---were never purchased with the intention of keeping them all that long.  Pipes were thought of simply as "tobacco access devices" by the vast majority of smokers.  Once they reached a certain point, they were thrown away and a new one bought.  Only if an old pipe was special enough that a smoker wanted to extend its life, or a new-ish one was damaged, was it repaired.  

And those repairs were made in the same spirit as the original pipe.  Any passably decent looking return to functionality was considered a "good fix."  And arranging a fix was no more difficult than taking the pipe to any walk-in tobacco shop, of which there were many.  (If they didn't have a repairman in the back, they sent batches of pipes a couple times a week to another shop nearby that did.)

No one expected such repairs to be "invisibly good" because they understood that pipes were factory made, and repairs could only be done by hand.  And while such fine handwork was POSSIBLE, pipes were inexpensive, so there was no demand for it.

Fast forward to the Internet, Scandinavian Quality Standards, Artisan masterpieces, and hardcore collectors of so-called "estate" pipes in addition to contemporary art pieces.  Those smokers---today's smokers---DON'T think of pipes as consumables, and have high technical and artistic expectations for repair work.  But, being consumers, they are delighted that pipe repair's cost structure was previously based on mass-produced inexpensive pipes and "you can't see it if you squint" craftsmanship.

Delighted until the new expectations + old price structure finishes driving the remaining handful of pipe repairmen out of business, anyway.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:19 pm

" the new expectations + old price structure finishes driving the remaining handful of pipe repairmen out of business"

Yes.    Yeeeesss!   Muhahahaha  and people will be forced to buy new handmade pipes at fairly reasonable prices!    I've been setting up your fall for 10 years Georgie boy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

How many times do you have to hear it, Sas?  Pipes that are shaped like a hockey stick and treated to make every tobacco taste like Molson have little appeal outside Canadia.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Got my pipe back from Norwood   Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm establishing a new paradigm. clown
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Got my pipe back from Norwood
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2