HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Flippin' Deer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 am

Like a lot of you (I'm guessing), I like an area where you can't swing a cat without hitting a deer.

I've managed to drive these roads for 16 years without hitting one...but that streak ended this morning. Doe ran across the road a few cars ahead of me, stopped halfway across the road, then doubled back - right into me. Fortunately, I was already on the breaks and drifting the car away from the impact and she did little more than headbutt my door, so all is well. I'm perfectly fine, vehicle is a bit dinged but nothing significant, and the ball is already rolling with the insurance company and the body shop.

It rates as nothing more than another one of those "them's the breaks" nuisances - no biggie, I just wanted to gripe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:50 am

I dunno, slapping a Doe in the face with your car door, whatever next! lol!

Seriously though, very glad it wasn't a worse outcome. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am

LOLOLOL...

Sorry, all I can imagine is a deer head-butting your car door

Glad you are ok, and the car isn't in bad shape!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Bambi pranced away like nothing happened, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Sounds like she hit you!! You should sue!! lol!

Glad to hear it wasn't worse. I've hit three in my life. One was bambi's mom right in front of bambi. That did some damage. Had to pull over and pry my front fender off the front passenger tire at 2:00 in the morning in BFE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I feel your pain brother. One day I was leaving my mother-in-law's place and I saw a bunch of them standing off to the side of the road. I slowed down to about 5 mph just in case one darted out in front of me. Sure enough one idiot waits until I am passing the group and sprints out and runs right into rear quarter panel of my old Explorer. If I had been going the speed limit he would have come out behind me, so I guess it was my fault.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 pm

I have hit multitudes of deer in the semi. The one that did the most damage was in downtown Nashville. Damn thing jumped a Honda had hit my truck right in front of the door and tumbled all the way down the side of the truck and trailer. I wish I had pic.. The boss told me "if it wasn't for the blood and fur and crap all down the side of the truck I'd fire you for lying to me, I can't believe a deer did all this". Lol

I've never hit one in a personal vehicle but it's more dumb luck than anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 pm

I have hit a few - part of driving in the midwest...

My wife has hit exactly one, but it was a doozy. She was on a divided highway going 70 mph or so. One came out of the side and was in the air when she hit it with the Explorer. Reportedly it exploded, and there was a pink mist, horrible smell, etc. She stopped the car and called me. We determined that nothing was leaking and mostly everything seemed to be in place. She took it to our mechanic who pulled most of the big pieces out of what was left of the grill. I went to a car wash and then with a stick got most of the cooked bits off the engine and out of the radiator. It did a number on the grill but otherwise no real damage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:06 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I have hit multitudes of deer in the semi.  The one that did the most damage was in downtown Nashville. Damn thing jumped a Honda had hit my truck right in front of the door and tumbled all the way down the side of the truck and trailer. I wish I had pic.. The boss told me "if it wasn't for the blood and fur and crap all down the side of the truck I'd fire you for lying to me, I can't believe a deer did all this".  Lol

Now that's funny shyte.   Laughing  

Managing drivers for hot-shot loads to Sacramento a guy nailed a deer in one of our bobcat trucks... ripped the fiberglass fender in all sorts of ugly ways, broke the headlight, bent the bumper...

...driver havin' a bit of fun when I went to go do nightly inspections of the trucks said, "...yeah, since I hit that fire hydrant and took off, spent an hour to find a deer to hit to explain it..."   ...blood and fur everywhere.   He did say I believed him for about two seconds.    Laughing   Hell, he might have been telling the truth... either way, insurance.    I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:04 pm

One doe and two bucks in the last three years. That's not counting the two bump and runs. Grills and headlights are always in stock at the local body shops.

Turkeys here are as bad. They panic and fly just high enough to smash the windshield. I've replaced 2 and lost several years off my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Where I live there is a rather large Elk herd which frequent areas that I drive through on my way into work in the wee hrs. Have had a goodly number of near misses, but so far haven't nailed one.

I'm as good as convinced they wait until the car headlights illuminate the roadway just before they decide to cross. And then some of them decide to double back at the last minute when one has decided which way to swerve!

Mad

The buggers are literally as big as horses, and I can envision that hitting one would then cause it to roll up on the hood with the legs aiming right at the windshield!

It's somewhat common to drive that route and see a dead and mangled Elk just off the road. There's one stretch with a large meadow they like to graze in where I slow way down, as it tends to be foggy and they can literally be within 20' of the road and you'll not see them until you get right next to them!

affraid

Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:53 am

Convinced deer are often suicidal, turkeys can be a problem where I live as well. Saw one take the side mirror off a loaded log truck once. As for elk, that's just plain scary. Few years back, near where I live, a young couple died when their full size pick up struck a cow elk that bounced into their lane off the front of a moterhome heading the opposite direction. You continue being careful BD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 am

Like BD I've had some frightening misses but, in over 40 years of driving and over 20 of commercial driving I've never hit a 4 legged animal but, I've had my share of owls and other fowl. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:05 am

I tapped one once (no, not that kind of tap--I prefer sheep) with the car's front end and acquired a tuft of hair in the headlight trim, the deer bounding off, apparently with no serious damage. I had the car almost stopped at impact. Close calls are exhilarating, especially when the roads are greasy with ice. I've been sideways and thrashing about more times than I want to remember. Reminds me of Churchill's saying "nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." The deer would agree, I'm sure.

rendeer rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:36 am

I ran over a squirrel once.
Went back and got him. Mmmm. Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:11 am

ROFL! Awesome Hermit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:29 am

Hermit wrote:
Went back and got him.  Mmmm.  Wink

I hit a doe once with a Subaru station wagon. The deer had a broken back, but was otherwise mostly undamaged. I went to the house to get a revolver to dispatch it, so it would not suffer. It was maybe 15 minutes later when I returned. The two 9 mm casings, the blood trail and some tire tracks told the tale. Someone else had collected some venison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:33 am

Hermit wrote:

You Bastard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:22 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Hermit wrote:

You Bastard!

Tree rat! Laughing

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Flippin' Deer   Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 am

We have been very lucky with deer. The closest was the time I had a car load on the way to evening Christmas eve mass. Just started going down a little hill about 40mph when I saw the front feet and hindquarters cross over the hood of the car and just miss catching the windshield. No one saw that one as they were yacking. But when I said something like "Damn, Deer!", then they all noticed the deer standing on the side of the road in the snow. Something like 4 on one side and 3 on the other.

Cathy and I regularly travel threw and area that often has herds of 50 - 150 head. But we usually slow through there and have remained untouched so far. (knock on wood)

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Flippin' Deer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1