HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I've been sewing...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: I've been sewing...   Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:33 pm

...the badges on my uniform. Friday evening marked a special moment for me; after 35 years of being away, I was invested back into the Scout movement. I've been volunteering for the last 6 months since my son started at Beavers. I ran the evening that enabled the Beavers to be presented their music badge after which the leader invited me to the flag, carried out the investiture and said 'welcome back Stick!'. Those words meant a great deal to me. I have very fond memories of my time in the movement, and it without doubt played a significant role in shaping me into who I am today. It's been a long time, but I am now the proud wearer of the World badge once again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Greybowl

Registration date : 2014-11-14

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:11 pm

You will be signing up for Wood badge next! I'm a Scouter myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Lot's of good memories when in the Boy Scouts. I must have went on a Polar Bear camp out every year I was in scouting. Every one was memorable for the cold. My first we could watch the ice form on the creek it turned off so cold. From ice free to ice covered overnight. Skies so dark and clear at night you could see the stars forever. Good times.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:10 pm

So, no more Pip Pip, now it'll be Dib Dib Dib lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:41 pm

alandadp wrote:
So, no more Pip Pip, now it'll be Dib Dib Dib lol!

That made me laugh Adam!

Pip dib!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:19 pm

I never was in the scouts but envied friends who were, we just couldn't afford it when I was a kid. Good for you Stick!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:59 am

Can I just say as a woman...Girl Scouts sucked! I didn't want to sell effing cookies and make arts and crafts. I was insanely jealous of all the really great stuff Boy Scouts did. I would have loved to be a part of that organization.

Congratulations Stick and here's to many more fond memories to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:25 am

Briar... the troop here in town just all earned their 'video game' merit badge.  I about fell out. Lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 am

puros_bran wrote:
Briar...  the troop here in town just all earned their 'video game' merit badge.  I about fell out. Lol

I grew up in Unadilla, NY. Home of Boy Scout troop #1, they were a bit more active. Smile OK, now I'm laughing because I'm Googling our towns little claim of fame and it would appear there is nothing to back it up that I can find. Haha! Apparently the claim is we have the oldest continuing boy scout troop in the states, having been registered since 1910.

Last edited by Briarbabe on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:18 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Can I just say as a woman...Girl Scouts sucked! I didn't want to sell effing cookies and make arts and crafts. I was insanely jealous of all the really great stuff Boy Scouts did. I would have loved to be a part of that organization.

Congratulations Stick and here's to many more fond memories to come.

I get a that BB. That's why here in the UK a girl can now join any of the traditionally associated boy sections. Interestingly though boys may not join the girls, though I suspect that is only a matter of time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 am

I was a scout in Maine, and our scoutmasters were of the opinion that the scouting program had become wimpy and needed to work on manly activities. We made dog sleds in the winter and had events in Brunswick where a team of scouts would pull a sled on a course. The one "musher" would compete at the next stop, and then another of the "dogs" would be the musher for the next event. The events were things like light a fire with flint and steel, send and receive a Morse code message, etc. Our uniform consisted of the regular scout shirt with jeans and boots. We were pretty good at making good runners for the sled and icing them to give us an edge in the events.

We would fish and go on cold weather hikes. It was a lot of fun.

Then we moved to SC, and the scouts there were mostly concerned with wearing your uniform correctly and talking about merit badges for things like community life. It just was not the same.

I can still remember the scoutmaster in Maine scowling at an ax and squinting through his cigarette smoke. "What idiot sharpened this?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: I've been sewing...   Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 am

Way to go, it's good for a dad to be involved. I'm a former Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout. We had a great troop and did a lot of stuff on the Appalachian Trail and the C&O Canal. Scout camp every summer above McConnelsburg PA (Camp Sinoquipe!) I still remember the song and how they lit the bonfire with a flaming arrow from across the lake. My scoutmaster was terrific. He passed away two years ago, at his viewing we had about 30 scouts and a dozen or so Eagles under his direction. I was pretty fortunate.

My two girls didn't have much interest and as BB says, the GS's just didn't offer the same activities. I do remember camping one weekend acros the woods from a girl scout troop. A few of those girls did like adventure......
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

I've been sewing...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Life Events-
Jump to: