HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New Car Shopping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: New Car Shopping   Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 pm

What a nightmare this can be. They tell us, " This is the best we can do." I tell the salesman he's just not meeting me where I want to be... He goes away, comes back with a better number, ignoring the previous "best he can do" offer.

After all of the haggling, we walked away w/o a car... Figure better to be patient than sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:04 pm

I hate car shopping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Car salespeople are the worst!

Evil or Very Mad

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:03 am

I feel your pain. The best thing you can do is walk away. I hope that you aren't in the position I found myself in 7 years ago. I had totaled my car, and needed another one immediately. I took the first one that met my needs and requirements. I ended up with a great car (no problems still today), but got shafted on interest and a 6 yr note. Total paid was twice the sticker price after the interest for 6 yrs. Best advice I have is to be patient and to do your research on the vehicle you want. And get the shortest term loan you can (if you can't pay cash for your car). Every vehicle i have bought since has been paid in cash. I have no car payments, and it is a good thing. I still have that car by the way, a 2006 Scion XB with close to 175k on the clock. Still going strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:27 am

I wholeheartedly agree it sux. I've been trying to buy a new truck for three years, get disgusted and pour a little more money into the old 2002. I don't want all the options, just a work truck, but that's a low profit deal and dickering isn't easy. I looked at a 2014 leftover but they wouldn't budge on the price,,,,my cousin bought it for $ 2500 less than they offered it to me. I need to hang a sign around my neck,,"I only LOOK stupid".

Best of luck to anyone dealing with these idiot salespersons.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 am

do your homework and decide make/model and the price you will pay. once they see you have done the research they either will or won't deal. don't offer to dicker just say you want this model/options at this price.

if you are looking for a work truck go to the larger dealers and seek out the fleet sales manager they always have some extra work type trucks they can deal on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:15 am

I know quite a few people in car sales (salesman, managers, finance guy, etc). One thing to be aware of:

Car buying isn't what it used to be, especially if you are going to a dealership. Most of their bottom line prices don't have a lot of wiggle room, and you can't go in expecting to negotiate a whole heck of a lot off of the price. If you're looking to negotiate, the goal is to increase what you get for what you pay, not decreasing what you're going to spend (ie, free maintenance services, free audio upgrades, discounts on extended service/protection plans). The invoice cost on many lot cars aren't much less than the sticker price - there's not much to be done about that, in most cases.

So if you want to negotiate, you can still work the price at places like "Bobs Used Cars" and "A-1 American Auto Sales" or that sort of thing - but if going down to a corporate-operated/franchised dealership, get comfy with close-to-sticker pricing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:25 am

I don't buy cars too often, but I generally do a little homework, talk to the salesperson, tell him/her what I want. Then tell them to write down their best price on the back of their business card because I'm going to a few other places. Let them do the sweating. I'm no longer in the "I gotta have this car!!!" demographic..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:46 am

Good luck with the car shopping; I agree you handled things well.

Car salesmen & real estate agents -- always ready to add in some hidden costs (yeah, I know, that's how they make their living. . . .still a pain to deal with)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 am

I agree with everyone. I tell them where I want to be and it's basically up to them if they want to make a sale. Kind of makes me sick to my stomach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

bosun1 wrote:
I don't buy cars too often, but I generally do a little homework, talk to the salesperson, tell him/her what I want.  Then tell them to write down their best price on the back of their business card because I'm going to a few other places.  Let them do the sweating.  I'm no longer in the "I gotta have this car!!!" demographic..

That's a great idea! When I get ready to buy again I am going to do this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm a Fan of This American Life. I really enjoyed this episode dealing with car sales. Shocked
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New Car Shopping   Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I think you did the right thing by walking away. These are my guidelines for car buying.

1 - Never buy a NEW car unless you just have to have the latest and greatest. There is nothing wrong with buying a new car it just costs a lot of money for a little value. Research what you want and find one a year or two old with low miles. With the lifetime of car these days there is still plenty of good life in a 2 year old car with 30K on the clock and the price will be significantly lower.

2 - Never allow them to add anything to the price. No warranties, no scotch guard,  no gap insurance, nope, nope, nope. If you really want any of that stuff it can be purchased somewhere else at a lower price. They make more profit in the finance office than the sales office. Beware the nice person in the backroom who will add anything that can to get money out of your pocket after you've made the decision to buy.

3 - Prearrange your financing. This way you know what you are spending and you can make the important financial decisions away from the lure of all the shiny cars.   You can usually get lower rates this way. If you are buying new sometimes the dealer will have something better but at least you have your rate as a backup/baseline.

4 - You don't have time for their BS. Once you've done the whole test drive thing and you've decided you want to buy a particular car I tell the sales guy this. "You've got 20 minutes to give me your best price. If it's not where I want it by then I'm leaving" If they fail to meet your time limit. Walk the heck out. By this point they have your contact info so, if they really want to sell you a car they will call/email you later with a better price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New Car Shopping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1