HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Possible bombing of innocent bystander

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:42 am

Not sure if this counts as an actual bombing or not, but.. have noticed an older gentleman in my neighborhood who occasionally brings his walker (the kind with a built in seat) out on the side walk outside his apartment building and smokes his pipe while watching the cars go by.  
Now currently I find myself "financially challenged", (I may be the only person on our cul de sac who knows how to properly carve a bean),  however I did have a new pouch of PA that I wasn't planning on smoking and since PA is an older brand of pipe tobacco and the gentleman in question appeared to be an older smoker of pipes, I saw some potential for mindless carnage.
Inspired by all the bombing exploits Ive read about here on the BoB, I waited until the next time i saw the old gentleman placidly puffing his pipe, and then swooped in with my mighty 4cylinder Ranger and approached him stealthily.
       "Good morning sir. I was wondering if you might happen to smoke Prince Albert. I've got an extra pouch of it here that I'm not gonna use."
        "Yes, I smoke Prince Albert."
      "Well OK then, here you go", and I handed him the pouch.  But he wasn't completely defenseless though, far from it. When I handed him the pouch of PA his face lit up and grinning from ear to ear he shook my hand and introduced himself as Norbert and I told him my name was Bill. He told me he was 82 years old and used to smoke cigarettes but gave em up "cause i got tired of the ash getting all over the place and pipes were just more convenient for working".  We talked smoking and pipes for a bit, then he started telling me about driving truck for a dairy in Nebraska and how the boss always claimed he knew who was in the break room last by the smell of their pipe tobacco.  We continued visiting for a few more minutes until the tyranny of the urgent demanded that I get back to work, (had to drive a bus load of high school kids to basket ball game).  Of course Now I'll have to go back and visit with him some more, next time I see him out smoking his pipe. Probably bring my pipe along so I have something to smoke while he finishes telling me about " this old Irishman i worked with one time, back in Nebraska, who would whittle himself out a corncob pipe during his lunch break on Monday, and then smoke it all week.  Always wore bib overhauls, he did...."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 am

What a shining example of the spirit of bombing, well done Sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:41 am

Not only is that a purest of bombings for no other reason than just-because, it was heightened by the fact it was in-person and made the world a better place in friendship for two people.

100% legit.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 am

Excellent work Fumus. Great story too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:03 am

Well done...

I want to here the rest of the story about the Irishman too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:13 am

Great job. Wish I saw pipe smokers locally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:57 am

I've done that too.  Gentleman who is a security guard in my building (state offices) smokes an old Grabow with tape on the shank to hold it together...smokes Carter Hall.  Gave him some G&H Dark Plug Unscented and he had a smile from ear to ear when I saw him next after giving it to him.  Gave him a pack of cleaners and introduced him to BoB.  He has to go to the library to use the computer.
Complete and utter surprise...that's what pipsters do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 am

You're gonna get a true education in human relations if you keep this up. One that you'll find you will cherish greatly. I had a similar experience for about 6 mo's last year till the gentleman died and I STILL remember those gems he imparted on me in our "smokes" . Keep it up and good on ya as they say !! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:05 am

Well done! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 am

Very Happy These are the things of "life". Family, friends (old and new), and good times! Well done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Great random act of kindness! Very much in keeping with the spirit of the season.

If everyone did this once in awhile, there would likely be fewer negative stories on the evening news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oxman

Registration date : 2014-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 pm

It is very heartening to see that true generosity is alive and well.

Well done sir and here is wishing you a very happy friendship with Norbert.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Tremendous sortie. Mission accomplished, and a mention in Dispatches. Great job brother, a fine example of a random act of kindness and wonderful to read about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 am

Thank you gentlemen for all the kind words. As I said, I was inspired by all of you, so thank you for the inspiration as well. And for anyone who has yet to hurl some ordinance down range at an unsuspecting target, HIE THEE TO THE ARMORY WITH THE UTMOST HASTE AND GET TO HURLING! affraid
Seriously, you've no idea how cool it is until you do it, and once you do it, you'll be glad you did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm glad you joined in the bombing mayhem and it sounds like that older gentleman is glad you did too Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Possible bombing of innocent bystander   Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:50 am

Well done indeed good sir! Let the mayhem continue.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Possible bombing of innocent bystander
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1