HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:54 am

Hi Brothers. Allow me to share this:

Had a successful day at the my local flea market on Sunday last. I picked up an interesting little Loewe smooth billiard (silver banded and hallmarked) and also a group 2 shell Dunnie billiard with a saddle stem. Both well worn, but still smoke-able.

When I got home I did some research and found that the Loewe dates from 1924. The Dunnie cleaned up nice, but the stamping is pretty vague. Good enough for my friend Alan at Sturks Tobacconist in Cape Town to declare it the real deal when I paid him a visit, though.

What's more, we put it under his big illuminated magnifying glass and between those present, consensus was that at least a partial '4' is visible after where the 'D' in ‘ENGLAND” should be. That makes it a 1964 - my birth year! cheers

Have smoked a couple of bowls out of the Dunnie and although I think it has been a bit over-zealously reamed, it smokes great.

You can imagine, I am quite a happy boy. Best part is, they were marked ZAR95-00 each. I offered ZAR150-00 (about $15-00) for both, which was accepted. Such are the rewards for being on the right side of information deficit, I suppose.

If some kind brother would assist with info as to how to post pics into a message, I will do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:57 am

Nice find, nice price.

Image-hosting sites like Flickr should be easy enough, they even have BB code copy-paste convenience.

If you like, try the "Host and Image" button in your next post, three to the left of the "YouTube" button. I believe the max size on pictures is 2MB, so keep that in mind.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:21 am

Some pics: (if you can see 'em, thanks to Kyle, if you can't, it's my incompetance)

BEFORE:

The hallmark date stamp on the Loewe:

AFTER (less is more in this case):

Some craggy blast on the Dunnie:

Old school button on the Loewe:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:22 am

Can't see them. That sounds like a great find!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:32 am

Let's just try it like this, then:

Some pics: (if you can see 'em, thanks to Kyle, if you can't, it's my incompetance)

BEFORE:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/15914754118/

The hallmark date stamp on the Loewe:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/16102183575/

AFTER (less is more in this case):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/16076403076/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/15914761748/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/16101457072/

Some craggy blast on the Dunnie:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/15914899140/

Old school button on the Loewe:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130128126@N05/15914898490/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:53 am

What a great find! Those pipes have patina, and I love patina, especially on a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Sweet score. Smoke em in good health.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Congrats on adding a couple classics to your collection Mark! I really like the silver banding and old school button on the Loewe! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:47 pm

$7.50 for an older oil cured Algerian briar Shell has got to be the BEST deal next to free !!! And that Lowe's no slouch either !! Ya done GOOD dude !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Hey, you did your best with the pics. Laughing The links at least worked!

Those pipes have plenty of life left in 'em. Plenty.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Some classic looking pipes right there. What a great find. Hope they go on for many more years!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Awesome, what a fortunate find!

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Puffer Mark

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks for all the kind words, brothers.

Fired up the Loewe this morning. Nice smoke. I'm generally not much of a clencher due to some bridgework, but this old button fits like a glove, and of course it weighs next to nothing.

Think I may reserve this one for flakes, which I'm just getting into. Have some Peterson Irish Flake and Escudo on order, and my generous friend, Charl Goussard has said he will let me have a few grams of his Luxury Bullseye!

Happy Days.

Thanks again, Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:08 am

Say, does anyone know what the meaning of the [AD] hallmark might mean. Haven't had much luck on the net with that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:46 am

Puffer Mark wrote:
Say, does anyone know what the meaning of the [AD] hallmark might mean. Haven't had much luck on the net with that one.

AD = Anno Domini......... means after Christ
BC = Before Christ

You have me so yealous, Mark! Great find
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

PostSubject: Re: Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!   Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks. Pieter. Duuhh. Shoulda figured that one!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Good day at the market and a birth year Dunhill!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1