HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Ashton experts please help.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Ashton experts please help.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:41 pm

I am wondering what the finish differences are between the Pebble Grain and Ashton Brindle. I know the stain is different but how so?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

avatar

Location : The Garage
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Brindles have a cumberland (aka "Brindle") stem, streaked red/brown, rather than black ebonite (or Ashtonite whatever that was).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Brindles have a cumberland (aka "Brindle") stem, streaked red/brown, rather than black ebonite (or Ashtonite whatever that was).  
Not true. Some Pebble grain have Cumberland stems and some brindle have other color stems. There is a stain difference. Bill Taylor lost the Brindle stain recipe for 5 years. The stem is not what Differentiates these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

avatar

Location : The Garage
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Well... okay. You already knew.

It's just that, every picture I can find of an Ashton marked as "Brindle" has a cumberland or similar stem.

As per: http://www.pipes.org/BURST/FORMATTED/187.025.html

"The Pebble Grain is a sandblasted finish that is usually stained
black with deep red highlights, although some are brown stained.
The Brindle finish is a dark brown stained sandblast that is matched
with a brown colored vulcanite mouthpiece."


So I would suggest that a brown stained blast without a brindle stem is in fact not a "Brindle".

If you need a color match, I'd suggest Feibing's "Chocolate"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:23 pm

That's a good question, I think more to do with the briar than the stem.

Brindle stamped pipes always have Cumberland stems.

Pebble Grain pipes can have an Ashtonite or Cumberland stem.

I've never encountered a reference as to the finish of the Brindle pipes.  Are they strictly blasted pipe or a Pebble Grain?

Edit: I was thinking about the Pebble Shell, which uses a two step blasting process. I think the reference Sas lists earlier answers the original question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 74
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:29 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Brindles have a cumberland (aka "Brindle") stem, streaked red/brown, rather than black ebonite (or Ashtonite whatever that was).  
Not true. Some Pebble grain have Cumberland stems and some brindle have other color stems. There is a stain difference. Bill Taylor lost the Brindle stain recipe for 5 years. The stem is not what Differentiates these.

WOW!! You've gained a lot of knowledge in a mere 3 months cheers

I've been smoking the pipe for 45 years and I don't know half as much as you do. Well done !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:35 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Brindles have a cumberland (aka "Brindle") stem, streaked red/brown, rather than black ebonite (or Ashtonite whatever that was).  
Not true. Some Pebble grain have Cumberland stems and some brindle have other color stems. There is a stain difference. Bill Taylor lost the Brindle stain recipe for 5 years. The stem is not what Differentiates these.

WOW!!  You've gained a lot of knowledge in a mere 3 months cheers

I've been smoking the pipe for 45 years and I don't know half as much as you do. Well done !!
I have been smoking a pipe since 1998, just had a break in 2010. I have done q lot of research over the years on Brittish pipe makers, but could not find the stain difference in writing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

It would have been interesting if someone had interviewed Bill Taylor in depth. But, I guess those stain/finish recipes would have been top secret anyway.
I was just re-reading some old Ashton info recently. I didn't realize he had misplaced his date stamp in 1995, so some pipes for that year don't have date stamps. Occasionally an undated pipe shows up, now I assume those would most likely be from '95.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am

riff raff wrote:
It would have been interesting if someone had interviewed Bill Taylor in depth.  But, I guess those stain/finish recipes would have been top secret anyway.  
I was just re-reading some old Ashton info recently.  I didn't realize he had misplaced his date stamp in 1995, so some pipes for that year don't have date stamps.  Occasionally an undated pipe shows up, now I assume those would most likely be from '95.  
From what i understand he was not very organized. Thats one thing that has improved with Mr Craig.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:34 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
It would have been interesting if someone had interviewed Bill Taylor in depth.  But, I guess those stain/finish recipes would have been top secret anyway.  
I was just re-reading some old Ashton info recently.  I didn't realize he had misplaced his date stamp in 1995, so some pipes for that year don't have date stamps.  Occasionally an undated pipe shows up, now I assume those would most likely be from '95.  
From what i understand he was not very organized. Thats one thing that has improved with Mr Craig.

I've heard the same .....and his enjoyment for the lunch happy hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

avatar

Age : 56
Location : PNW
Registration date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I have a 1999 brindle Canadian that has a black stem on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:35 pm

mustanggt wrote:
I have a 1999 brindle Canadian that has a black stem on it.
Would love some pictures of Bills work. I really wish i had not sold my bespoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:59 pm

mustanggt wrote:
I have a 1999 brindle Canadian that has a black stem on it.

Wow, I'd love to see that! That just goes to show you that anything is possible in the Ashton world and there are no absolutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

avatar

Age : 56
Location : PNW
Registration date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:29 pm

I'd be happy to when I get home tonight. However since I'm so new there's a probationary period before I can post links and such from outside this forum. I got a message when I tried to post something the other night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Here's a tidbit from the RD Field Ashton Collection:
http://www.rdfield.com/Ashton/the_ashton_collection.htm
Image #2423.jpg (43197 bytes) shows the first Brindle finish. Up to this time all Ashton sandblasted pipes had the Pebblegrain finish- black with reddish highlights showing through. The Brindle finish showed reddish brown, complementing the Brindle material used for many of the early Ashton mouthpieces. wrote:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

avatar

Age : 56
Location : PNW
Registration date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Here are two of my Ashtons. Canadian is first of course.




Back to top Go down
View user profile
mustanggt

avatar

Age : 56
Location : PNW
Registration date : 2014-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 pm

And the last two.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
avatar

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Very nice indeed mustang!

Cool


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
monbla256

avatar

Age : 72
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 pm

I LOOOOVE sandblasted pipes and THOSE are some FINE examples !!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 74
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:04 am

First of all, I like your "handle" as I'm a devoted FORD fan Very Happy

Beautiful pipes with the lavot being my favourite, beautiful blast showing some great grain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:28 am

I found a very worn Pebble Shell at one of the shops I frequent. The owner was out, so I stashed it in a nook to negotiate at the next club meeting. This is the first Pebble Shell I've encountered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Asheville NC
Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Nice. I have an Ashton on order. Hopefully wont be too long before I get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 74
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 pm

There is one beautiful unsmoked Ashton pipe with Cumberland stem on eBay, seller knobby 1041
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

avatar

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Ashton experts please help.   Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Does anyone have the link to David Field's website with the photos of his Ashton collection?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Ashton experts please help.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» JEFF ASHTON'S BOOK
» Calculating the ratio... (to Javascript experts)
» Casey Anthony Trial Day 25: Defense Experts Testify About Dirt, Hair, and Decomposition
» NOT MUCH NEWS COVERAGE FOR JIA ASHTON.................WHY?
» Create New BBCodes - to Javascript Experts

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: