HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dunhill County with Cumberland stem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:51 am

Our local B&M is selling all new Dunhills  @ less 25%

They have this group 3 bent County @ R3,750 ($347) less 25% = R2,812 ($260).

What should I do?

Smokingpipes.com sell them @ $490.00, no discount
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardedbassguy

Registration date : 2014-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:40 am

What should you do?

Buy one and mail it to me lol!

I say buy it if it's what you want and you can afford it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:04 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

What should I do?

I'd ask myself, Am I buying it because it's a Dunhill or just because it's on sale?
Do I like it's shape and color, is it the right size of pipe for me?
Do I need to spend $260 right now on something I can live without?

Although Dunhill's hit real low on my list of wants, specially when I can get
just as good or much better of a smoker at half or two thirds the price that is
also a much better look'in pipe in my eye. Wink
Besides Dunhill's are like buying most anything nowadays, your just paying for a name
and not quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:18 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:

What should I do?

you should check and see if they have a dunhill 5108 in smooth finish and if so let me know so I can order it lol. If you like the pipe you are looking at then buy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

What should I do?

I'd ask myself, Am I buying it because it's a Dunhill or just because it's on sale?

Besides Dunhill's are like buying most anything nowadays, your just paying for a name
and not quality.

No, I don't like the shape or finish of the $260 pipe. It's also a bit smaller than what I normally buy. The price is right thoug.

The pipe I really like, a golden coloured bulldog, costs $510 (discounted price) and I will never pay that amount for any pipe.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:45 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

What should I do?

and not quality.

No, I don't like the shape or finish of the $260 pipe. It's also a bit smaller than what I normally buy. The price is right thoug.

The pipe I really like, a golden coloured bulldog,  costs $510 (discounted price) and I will never pay that amount for any pipe.

If you DON'T LIKE the pipe in question, WHY are you even asking about buying it? Duh Twisted Evil Twisted Evil You DON'T BUY what you DON'T LIKE Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  At least I don't  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Believe it or not, there ARE older shell Dunnies out there at that price or LESS so if a blasted Dunhill is what you WANT, take your time and you'll find what you WANT!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Whats the bulldog? You need to provide pics. LOL Whats the store?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:05 pm

tarheel7734 wrote:
Whats the bulldog? You need to provide pics. LOL Whats the store?

Curiosity Hut....check there website, they've got a load of Dunhills and all are marked down by 25%. And all of them are old stock, old prices.  I've compared their prices with Smokingpipes.com, much cheaper.

www.curiosityhut.co.za

The owner, Freddie Eckley, is a very close friend of mine. You can ask him to send you info and tell him I gave you his name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Are you wanting a NEW Shell Dunnie? If you want one that made the history and name for Dunhill, you want to look for Shell's made BEFORE the early '70s as these were made from old oil cured Algerian Briar which makes the BEST smoking and gnarly blasted pipes !! After this time period, Dunhill was not able to get and use this briar and went to Sardinian and Corsican Briar which did not blast as deeply as the old Algerian did. Here's a nice ODA sized Apple from 1962 which you might want to take a look at. Just an idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-DUNHILL-SHELL-BRIAR-ODA-PIPE-EXTRA-NICE-/121523537036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b5e048c
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:01 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Are you wanting a NEW Shell Dunnie? If you want one that made the history and name for Dunhill, you want to look for Shell's made BEFORE the early '70s as these were made from old oil cured Algerian Briar which makes the BEST smoking and gnarly blasted pipes !! After this time period, Dunhill was not able to get and use this briar and went to Sardinian and Corsican Briar which did not blast as deeply as the old Algerian did. Here's a nice ODA sized Apple from 1962 which you might want to take a look at. Just an idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-DUNHILL-SHELL-BRIAR-ODA-PIPE-EXTRA-NICE-/121523537036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b5e048c

Thank you, my brother but......check the newest bid on that pipe! It's gonna sell for a lot of money.  But, I'm watching it and if it's not to high, I will make a last minute bid on it.

I've made an offer for a '63 billard Shell Briar and waiting for reply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Thank you, my brother but......check the newest bid on that pipe! It's gonna sell for a lot of money.  But, I'm watching it and if it's not to high, I will make a last minute bid on it.

Well Speedy, that '62 ODA went for UNDER $200.00 w/shpg !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:21 am

monbla256 wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Well Speedy, that '62 ODA went for UNDER $200.00 w/shpg !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yes, my bro', and I'm sour about it!  I tried "snapping" it and it did not work. My bid was for $172 (kplmpieter)  "in the open" to scare off other bidders.  I was hoping the "snap" would do it for me at under $200. Oh well, now I still have  R2,170 in my pocket! That's gonna buy me a LOT of tobacco in the new year.

I thank you for bringing it to my attention although I did not won it!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:48 am

Mike @ Briar Blues has a ton of Dunhill Shells listed at very nice prices, from the 70's & 80's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:12 am

riff raff wrote:
Mike @ Briar Blues has a ton of Dunhill Shells listed at very nice prices, from the 70's & 80's.  

Thanks my friend but please look at my note under Goussard Pipes Twisted Evil

Can't buy one more pipe Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill County with Cumberland stem   Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:32 am

With two new Goussard pipes plus waiting for one Mastro de Paja and one Golden Gate,
I've decided to pass on the Dunhills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dunhill County with Cumberland stem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1